Anyone impacted by the Flight cancellations etc etc?

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2021, 11:25 AM

Most (all?) news outlets, regardless of being left, right, or middle-ish leaning, understand that bad news sells, so we only hear about 1600 (or whatever the number is) flight cancellations. Does anyone know haw many were not cancelled? Are we looking at 5% of flights cancelled or 50% or ?
Imagine turning on the news and hearing, "25,000 flights were not cancelled yesterday!" That really does not tell you anything either, but it's a little more cheerful!
Old 12-25-2021, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Most (all?) news outlets, regardless of being left, right, or middle-ish leaning, understand that bad news sells, so we only hear about 1600 (or whatever the number is) flight cancellations. Does anyone know haw many were not cancelled? Are we looking at 5% of flights cancelled or 50% or ?
Imagine turning on the news and hearing, "25,000 flights were not cancelled yesterday!" That really does not tell you anything either, but it's a little more cheerful!
Unless it was YOUR flight.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:55 AM

I flew Christmas Eve. No problems!
Old 12-26-2021, 06:03 AM

We flew back to the UK on the 19th.
Flight was delayed - not because of the crewing problem on the plane but because there were staffing issues in Heathrow (London). The airlines can’t control that side of things. I guess there are many service industries who will struggle for a while while Omicron spreads and finally peaks. It’s sad that anybody suffers delays or postponement of meeting up with loved ones. But unfortunately that is the reality we face. As for the poster worried about flying, the issue is less about catching something on the plane, as they have Hepa filters. The bigger problem is being in the crowds at the terminal itself. We take antiseptic wipes and hand gel and use it appropriately and of course wear our masks. We hope everybody gets to catch up with family, stays safe and has a great Xmas and New Year.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:09 AM
Default Half full

Quote:
Thanks for reminding us the glass is (more than) half full.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage

We have a friend whose a pilot with UAL and been so for many years.......early on they were going to mandate the vaxx and many (emphasis on many) in that company weren't going to take it and were put on leave. My take on this whole thing---blame it on a variant (that has the same symptoms as a cold btw) rather than saying, "we don't have enough staff to take care of all of you!" It isn't only pilots but the service people, those who check you in, those who take care of your luggage and others that support the airlines. It's ALL of those who aren't as trusting as many of you of the "science". Back in the 90's I had a flight with UAL to come home from Nashville. The flight kept getting set back...eventually we were told it was "the weather". Heard though, that the pilots and stews all had their hours in and couldn't/wouldn't go over that allotment. So the airline put very angry passengers up in hotels. The next day the lines were long and we were getting the same "song and dance"---bad weather (in Chicago). I'd been in communication with my home and the weather was fine. I told the person behind the desk it wasn't acceptible. She sent me down the line to another airline and we made it home just fine. This was all in the summer too btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post

Omicron variant causes Christmas flight cancellations and holiday travel headaches
Delta and United Airlines are both blaming some cancellations on issues stemming from the omicron

Travelers are having a rough Christmas Eve at the airport due in part to the coronavirus omicron variant.
According to Flight Aware, United Airlines has canceled 185 flights scheduled for Friday, about 9% of its planned schedule, and about 123 that were slated for Saturday.
United Airlines isn't the only airline feeling the impact of the omicron variant, as Delta Air Lines is also blaming the omicron variant for some flight cancellations.
According to Flight Aware, Delta Air Lines has canceled 165 flights on Friday, and 164 for Saturday.
JetBlue is also having issues, with 72 Christmas Eve flights canceled, or 7% of its scheduled flights.

Must be horrible for all those impacted, waiting for cancelled flight rebooking and waiting for family to arrive from air travel.

We are not affected. phew.

Latest World & National News & Headlines - USATODAY.com
Mandates are also the cause of cancellations.
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
I DO agree with your premise re, 'Bad News'.

BUT, I believe in this case of so many cancelled flights et al - this is NEWS. The number of cancelled flights is a multitude of the 'norm'. Affecting MANY individuals and families - both impacting the travelers, and those waiting for them to arrive. The NEWS also prepares those who may be affected in near future flights. The NEWS re this is continuing - today>

Major airlines cancel hundreds of flights for Saturday, Sunday, as COVID omicron variant sidelines crews
More than 900 U.S. flights were canceled Saturday, with hundreds more cancellations coming Sunday
According to FlightAware, more than 920 U.S. flights were canceled Saturday and more than 1,200 others were delayed. U.S. airlines also already have canceled more than 220 total flights scheduled for Sunday.

So, we could write this off as bad news sells, but IMO it is TRULY News. Worthy of publishing and discussing.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:27 AM

My husband is a very senior pilot at Delta. The biggest problem is there is a major pilot shortage! Many pilots took the early out offered at the beginning of the pandemic. The airlines didn’t expect things to bounce back this quick. They are hiring in droves (never a better time for a pilot want to be) The training department is very backed up as many pilots are waiting for training. My husband is an instructor pilot who does the final training in -flight once they are done with ground school. He literally has a student on every flight. Unprecedented. There are of course some pilots that are getting the omicron variant but the root of the problem is the shortage of pilots.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,074 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb View Post
Mandates are also the cause of cancellations.
Or it could be looked at as people refusing to comply with mandates are the problem.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I DO agree with your premise re, 'Bad News'.

BUT, I believe in this case of so many cancelled flights et al - this is NEWS. The number of cancelled flights is a multitude of the 'norm'. Affecting MANY individuals and families - both impacting the travelers, and those waiting for them to arrive. The NEWS also prepares those who may be affected in near future flights. The NEWS re this is continuing - today>

Major airlines cancel hundreds of flights for Saturday, Sunday, as COVID omicron variant sidelines crews
More than 900 U.S. flights were canceled Saturday, with hundreds more cancellations coming Sunday
According to FlightAware, more than 920 U.S. flights were canceled Saturday and more than 1,200 others were delayed. U.S. airlines also already have canceled more than 220 total flights scheduled for Sunday.

So, we could write this off as bad news sells, but IMO it is TRULY News. Worthy of publishing and discussing.
I agree that it's newsworthy. I'd just like some context. How about "on Saturday 920 out of 10,000 flights were cancelled. The average is 100 out of 10,000 flights cancelled". So you can infer that your chances of a cancellation went from 1% to 10%. Not great, but not the end of the world (unless it happens to you!).
Old 12-26-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I can’t even imagine flying around either Thanksgiving or Christmas anymore. What a nightmare!
Totally agree! Crazy!
Old 12-26-2021, 11:35 AM
Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Relatives on Delta shafted tomorrow
Shafted. If you think the airlines aren't a business and flying people isn't their business.?.? Perhaps you haven't been out shopping lately or out to dinner. COVID-19 effects all businesses. One crew member testing positive takes out the whole crew. Pilots are airplane specific and can only fly their current type. This post is as usual, all about a situation that they have no facts or research. I flew commercially for 35 years and dealt with passengers that can never see the big picture. All about me syndrome
Old 12-26-2021, 12:16 PM

Funny, select airlines having trouble..husband flew Southwest.. no problems there
Old 12-26-2021, 12:42 PM

We went to pick up our son from MCO on Christmas Eve. His Frontier flight from Madison was delayed an hour, and then he waited two hours for baggage due to a shortage of baggage handlers at MCO.

Last edited by cindyfeh; 12-26-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
flight, omicron, variant, cancellations, flights

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.