Anyone impacted by the Flight cancellations etc etc?

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2021, 02:02 PM

We fly back from Chicago on Christmas Day on United Airlines. Fortunately the cancellation did not affect us. COVID-19 is still a factor. I’m afraid it will be around for a longtime. I just pray that governments don’t over react.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

...and today, it goes on and on>

More than 3,000 flights delayed or canceled Sunday;
John Bacon
Christal Hayes
USA TODAY

[I]More than 3,000 flights have already been delayed or canceled across the nation Sunday amid the latest, omicron-driven coronavirus surge sweeping the industry, the nation and the world.

More than 800 flights entering, leaving or flying within the United States were canceled and over 2,400 were delayed Sunday, according to the tracking website FlightAware. More than 4,000 flights were delayed or canceled Christmas Day as days of scheduling nightmares left holiday travelers scrambling for transportation.

Delta, United and JetBlue have blamed the omicron variant for staffing problems leading to flight cancellations in recent days. United spokesperson Maddie King said staffing shortages were still causing cancellations. It was unclear when normal operations would return.“This was unexpected,” she said of omicron’s impact on staffing.

Flight delays and cancellations have been a recurring theme this year as airlines have ramped up schedules. Thousands of workers were driven from the industry last year when air travel collapsed, and staffing has not kept up with the resurgence in demand for flights./I]
Old 12-26-2021, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
They really try to mitigate risks of transmission on a plane. I think it's worth the risk to be here in TV. And it is Florida so I wouldn't be too concerned about lockdowns of any kind. You have to impose them on yourself if you're paranoid, otherwise stay outside in public places and enjoy!
The Fl problem is LACK of lockdowns. And not over yet!
Old 12-26-2021, 03:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,306 Times in 541 Posts

Plan A was to fly north out of Orlando for Christmas. We decided on plan B and that was to drive. Sometimes you win and sometimes lose.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I can’t even imagine flying around either Thanksgiving or Christmas anymore. What a nightmare!

On the Monday before Thanksgiving we made it through the TSA line, taking 1 1/2 hours. Orlando was a mob scene. We were going early to avoid this. Guess not. Ok we go on the shuttle and huff it to our gate and sit down -finally and exhausted. Not 5 minutes went by and they announced our flight was cancelled. Nothing else was available until Thanksgiving night at 8 pm. All other flights filled. We were crushed. Have not seen family since Thanksgiving 2019. Called our car service to come and get us. It was a very lonely Thanksgiving. Spirit Airlines blamed the weather. They can pretty much say anything they want, can't they.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:24 PM

I have flown six times in the past six months and the airlines and the airports have kept things very clean. I do fly first class, ( I told my kids if they did not want me to drive back and forth to the upper Midwest I was going to spend more of their inheritance), which keeps you away from the crowds.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:27 PM

My nephew is a pilot on United all had to have their shots. Unfortunately they are getting sick so who knows
Old 12-27-2021, 05:54 AM

Just another result of those who choose to not be vaccinated. Please stop complaining about the airlines and place the blame where it belongs.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:25 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Since vaccinated people get sick too, blaming the unvaccinated is ridiculus.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:35 AM

Friend of mine is a flight attendant and says JetBlue offered triple pay on Christmas Day due a shortage of flight attendants. Have all the pilots you want but no FA’s, no go.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:14 AM

If you were a Member of the Unique Travel Club you could fly out of the Leesburg Airport just minutes away from The Villages on your schedule direct to your destination with no connecting flights or layovers. You could skip the crowds and never fly with Strangers again! No more long hours spent in crowded Terminals checking in luggage, going through TSA security screening, waiting to board, waiting to pick up luggage, having to catch a connecting flight or having your connecting flight canceled.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:30 AM

Yep, what I learned as well, I’m tired of all the lies to protect keeping the fear of COVID thriving and an excuse for everything.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCFL View Post
If you were a Member of the Unique Travel Club you could fly out of the Leesburg Airport just minutes away from The Villages on your schedule direct to your destination with no connecting flights or layovers. You could skip the crowds and never fly with Strangers again! No more long hours spent in crowded Terminals checking in luggage, going through TSA security screening, waiting to board, waiting to pick up luggage, having to catch a connecting flight or having your connecting flight canceled.
Is that the name of the club?
I couldn't find a web site specific to that name.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sounds like a chance to spend the kids' inheritance really fast.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
1) well, lah di dah!

2) I thought you couldn’t advertise on TOTV unless you paid them?

Tags
flight, omicron, variant, cancellations, flights

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.