Athens/Barcelona

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Athens/Barcelona

Going to take a Med cruise from Athens to Barcelona in Sept. Adding a few days on each end to do some sight seeing.

Any must recommendations for Athens? Barcelona?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage

Barcelona: Buy Rick Steves' Pocket Guide to Barcelona, which will tell you how to see the most important sights in the time you have. Barcelona is a walkable city. A must-see sight is the huge Sagrada Familia Church (buy timed-entry tickets in advance on line or at your hotel). Stroll the Rambla, Gothic Quarter, La Boqueria Market. The Palau Musica, a grand concert hall has tours or you can attend a concert to see it.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 AM

When in Barcelona - plan 1 full day at the Sagrada Familia. also visit the other Gaudi buildings and parks. AMAZING! (bring extra memory cards for your camera and comfortable shoes)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 AM

Barcelona - Sagrada Familia (purchase tickets online prior to going or go with a group tour); Park Guell; Take the Hop-on, Hop-off bus to access a variety of wonderful features of Barcelona). Since we had been to Barcelona before, we found a Paella class (hands-on) which was a lot of fun.

Athens - The Acropolis, but make sure you take great walking shoes as you climb up old stone steps and can be crowded. (Also went to Mykonos but found that underwhelming).

Rick Steves is a great resource, and also look at posts on Trip Advisor for additional suggestions. We booked a private tour for the Amalfi Coast that was spectacular as well as other smaller tours found through Viator (sometimes ship tours are very crowded). Great experiences on all tours booked through Viator (Turkey).
Old 05-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
Barcelona - Sagrada Familia (purchase tickets online prior to going or go with a group tour); Park Guell; Take the Hop-on, Hop-off bus to access a variety of wonderful features of Barcelona). Since we had been to Barcelona before, we found a Paella class (hands-on) which was a lot of fun.

Athens - The Acropolis, but make sure you take great walking shoes as you climb up old stone steps and can be crowded. (Also went to Mykonos but found that underwhelming).

Rick Steves is a great resource, and also look at posts on Trip Advisor for additional suggestions. We booked a private tour for the Amalfi Coast that was spectacular as well as other smaller tours found through Viator (sometimes ship tours are very crowded). Great experiences on all tours booked through Viator (Turkey).
This para about Athens is super important. The major sites are miles away from each other and you will walk and walk and then walk some more, and it is HOT. Also be prepared for many of the sites not having hand rails up the hundreds of steps you will have to walk. I was intimidated by the lack of hand rails. My other half said OSHA would have a ball there!

Quote from Travel Book: A major point of interest for any traveler to Athens is the Syntagma Square. The most famous aspect of Syntagma is the changing of the guards by the Evzones in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The Hellenic Parliament Building is located here as well as various buses, trolleys and tram stops. A fountain, ancient statues and two large grassy areas offer the picture perfect place for photos and picnics. Most major events that occur in Greece have been celebrated at the Syntagma Square. It’s also the site of various political functions, and it was also at this square that the Military Junta government was overthrown in 1974. Besides the Hellenic Parliament building, other interests include the historic hotels Grande Bretagne and George II. This is a MUST SEE. I have seen changing of the guard in many cities, but this is one you have to see.

You might like to view this site 22 Top Tourist Attractions in Athens (with Photos & Map) - Touropia, some great photos and good explanations, but too many ads for which I am sorry!!!

Barcelona ..... Wonderful city, just walk around and check out the incredible architecture. Take a tourist bus too. So much to see.

I would suggest you hire a tour guide for both cities, or maybe find a small tour group.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 AM

I love Barca! They pronounce it like "Barthalona" as if you have a lisp which surprised me.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
I love Barca! They pronounce it like "Barthalona" as if you have a lisp which surprised me.
It is a ceceo. Seseo, ceceo and distinction…or why Spaniards "lisp" and Latin Americans do not

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

When you go to the market at las ramblas just make sure you put your money in a front pocket. Just to play safe. I was fine there.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
When you go to the market at las ramblas just make sure you put your money in a front pocket. Just to play safe. I was fine there.
Unfortunately, picking pockets is a national sport in Barcelona. Look out for lots of young men moving through the crowds.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Unfortunately, picking pockets is a national sport in Barcelona. Look out for lots of young men moving through the crowds.
Gypsies are all over touristy areas; they are the worst whether lone men, women or families which use their children to distract and lift whatever they can get their hands on!

I carry a Faraday Cage wallet. It wasn't inexpensive but here is how you can fabricate one cheaply. How to build a Faraday cage wallet | ZDNet

I wrap my wallet in two thick rubber bands and carry it in a front pocket. A guy I know uses Velcro on his so that it cannot be easily lifted. They'll use razor blades not only on pockets but on backpacks and they can spot tourists vs. locals a kilometer away!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
Athens - The Acropolis, but make sure you take great walking shoes as you climb up old stone steps and can be crowded.
Many of the steps going up to the Acropolis are stones laid in Neolithic times so you will need to watch your footing!

Old 05-09-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
My husband carries an old nylon decoy wallet in his back pocket. In it is worthless currency, mostly from Venezuela and Caribbean countries plus a little "love note" for the pickpocket. It's been on at least three trips abroad, and no one has ever touched it.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Michael Charles

An Athens must see is Mt. Lycabettus (spelling) Youll be able to see the entire city, breathtaking at night.
Closed Thread

Tags
athens, barcelona, sight, end, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.