Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Theres fake Fla beaches ?
I doubt if there are.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 AM

How fast do you fly, I mean drive?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsalla Apopka View Post
If you want just nice white sand, a protective barrier in the water and nice shallow salt water without waves, then The beach in Citrus County (Crystal River) is wonderful.
It's the Gulf so water is shallow. The beach is perhaps an eight of a mile wide and there is an adjacent fishing pier and boat launch ramp. Food is a "Roach Coach" on weekends and maybe a hot dog cart on weekdays. There is a nice new bathroom and an outside shower to get the sand off.
Go to Crystal River - turn west off of US19 onto FL44 (at The Plantation Resort)and go until your tires get wet (about 9 miles)
A couple of years ago my wife and I found that beach during the off season. We were just out exploring. I never realized FL had an off season for beaches. Anyway the place was deserted except for what seemed like a thousand birds and one couple on the left hillside. Actually it was a nice experience. So, go out exploring you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find. I guess nowadays I have to add you might be unpleasantly surprised as well. But let's go with pleasantly.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:56 AM

Can't think of any oceanfront beach within 1 3/4 hours. But Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach are worth the drive for sure. Lots of rental places
Old 07-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbankowski View Post
Can't think of any oceanfront beach within 1 3/4 hours. But Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach are worth the drive for sure. Lots of rental places
Heheh. You just thought of two.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:05 AM

There is a nice beach in Crystal River and a nice restaurant on the bay. Nice day trip.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Default Corona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
If you go to the beach PLEASE dont come back with the virus.. we are doing well here in Sumter County. thousands of cases being brought here why travel
That is what I am afraid of, When they opened the beaches, Florida's stats went sky high. I need to have surgery so I don't usually go out but I do need to go to the grocery, the bank and church at times. Whatever you do wear your maks. I don't care if you think it is dumb. I think dying is dumb.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:49 AM

There's a small county park with a beach near Spring Hill, Alfred McKethan Park. On the gulf, very laid back, shallow water, bathrooms, snack shop, pavilions with tables, playground equipment. It was $5 per car. We tend to go there when school is in session, so not sure what to expect this time of year. Not fancy, but nice.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Developer's fault.
MR instigator!
Old 07-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Veteran member

"eatons beach - restaurant and beach below it with a gator net ....
Old 07-10-2020, 07:07 AM

Crystal River that someone mentioned earlier is the closest beach. Of course everyone has an opinion, but I think its definitely worth a look to see if its what you like. Kayaking available there, manatees just off the pier along with dolphin. If you talk to the locals or even the food cart girl, they'll give you info on a couple of cool music shows that go on there. I think its second friday of the month but don't quote me on that.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:45 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
You really have to go the 2 hours for a true Florida beach experience.
You are spot on. 2 hrs (approximately) will get you to Daytona, Cocoa Beach, and New Smyrna on the Atlantic side and the same 2 hrs will get you to Clearwater and St. Petersburg on the Gulf side. All a good experience.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:19 PM

Think it more likely to bring the "virus" from a trip to Publix or an indoor crowed bar, than a trip to the beach for some Vitamin D and watching the ocean. Just my opinion.... Love Honeymoon beach by the way.... not far, weekdays not crowded.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:09 PM

Fort Island Gulf Beach is a nice small beach on the Gulf side. It takes about 1 hour to get there. The next best small beach is Howard Park Beach which is near Tarpon Springs and it takes 1hr 50min. to get there. Both are small beaches. Go early and bring your own food and beverages. Dogs not allowed, No smoking. No alcohol.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:53 PM

FYI, it's called Fort Island Beach and it's a nice man made beach that's part of the Citrus County Parks system.
Warning, try to avoid low tide because it's very shallow and the sand bottom turns to grasses not too far out. No big deal if you're floating around with a noodle or raft.
We were there last week and the water was about 88*

There are signs there that prohibit animals on the beach. But a "twenty something" woman with short blue hair just let her dachshunds run free when we were there. I guess she couldn't read, or didn't think laws were meant for her. The signs do list the county ordinance.

Well, she got really nasty when told to remove the dogs by some of the beach people.
She used the "service" dog routine as a comeback along with lots of vulgarities.

Also went to Lori Wilson Park in Cocoa Beach recently and there's a lot of washed up sea vegetation on the shore and some in the water. I guess it's from the hurricane earlier this month. Ocean temp was around 85*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassparilla View Post
Fort Gulf Beach at the very west end of 44. One hour from my house in St. James. It's a state owned beach with beach and fishing pier.
Closed Thread

Tags
beach, villages, hour, nice, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.