Beware port canaveral cruise parking overcharge

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2020, 02:57 PM
Default Beware port canaveral cruise parking overcharge

BEWARE PORT CANAVERAL CRUISE PARKING OVERCHARGE! If you park at one of the Canaveral Port Authority facilities, you will be charged for one more day of parking and not just the 4, 5, 7, 10, or 14 days your car was parked there while you cruised. In other words, IGNORE their $17/day advertised rate because they automatically add another day and raise your total cost. In our case, we took a 7-day cruise, my parking receipt shows our car was actually parked there for 6 days and 23 hours, but we were charged for EIGHT days for a total of $136. When we challenged that with the Port Authority, we were told their website states that you will be charged for the first and last day of your cruise and that they "ignore" what the parking receipt says. And our cruise line (NCL)-- and I suspect all the cruise lines that use Port Canaveral-- essentially contributes to this ripoff by advertising their parking rate as $17/day. Of course, we complained to both the Port Authority and NCL-- but that was a waste of time. SO, BEWARE ALL YOU PORT CANAVERAL CRUISERS: YOU WILL BE CHARGED AN EXTRA DAY IF YOU PARK THERE!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 PM

Last 7 day cruise I took was from Saturday to Saturday. Total 8 days,

PORT CANAVERAL website.
Parking Rates
Parking is $17.00 per day (Vehicles & RVs), including day of arrival and day of departure.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:35 AM
Default Port Canaveral Parking

Yes, exactly. You were parked for 7 days, but were charged for 8 days. $17/day, but actually $19.42 per day for the 7 days you were parked there - $136 instead of $119.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:40 AM
Default Beware port canaveral cruise parking overcharge!

BEWARE PORT CANAVERAL CRUISE PARKING OVERCHARGE! If you park at one of the Canaveral Port Authority facilities, you will be charged for one more day of parking and not just the 4, 5, 7, 10, or 14 days your car was parked there while you cruised. In other words, IGNORE their $17/day advertised rate because they automatically add another day and raise your total cost. In our case, we took a 7-day cruise, my parking receipt shows our car was actually parked there for 6 days and 23 hours, but we were charged for EIGHT days for a total of $136. When we challenged that with the Port Authority, we were told their website states that you will be charged for the first and last day of your cruise and that they "ignore" what the parking receipt says. And our cruise line (NCL)-- and I suspect all the cruise lines that use Port Canaveral-- essentially contributes to this ripoff by advertising their parking rate as $17/day. Of course, we complained to both the Port Authority and NCL-- but that was a waste of time. SO, BEWARE ALL YOU PORT CANAVERAL CRUISERS: YOU WILL BE CHARGED AN EXTRA DAY IF YOU PARK THERE!
Old 02-20-2020, 09:08 AM
Sage

They charge for any part of a day that you are parked - that means 8 days. You can find the policy on-line. There are much cheaper off-site parking options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrichard View Post
Old 02-20-2020, 09:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrichard View Post
we also noticed that years ago, and from then on we realized thats the way they calculate the days, but that port is so much closer to us....... Ft Lauderdale and Miami don't charge the extra day but the 4/5 hour drive to the port makes us think....whatever.... we just pay the extra day.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

And the alternative is?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-20-2020, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

And the alternative is?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-20-2020, 01:20 PM
Default Port Canaveral Parking

We recently used Airport Parking INC: Airport Parking in Miami : Atlanta International Airport Parking : O Hare Long Term Parking : Fort Lauderdale : Air Port Parking, Inc. to book offsite parking at the Port in Ft. Lauderdale for about $6 or $7 per day, including free shuttle to and from the parking, which was about a 10 minute ride. Although I am not positive, they may have a similar arrangement at Port Canaveral. There are other offsite parking facilities online. You just need to search for them.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It’s billed as a day from start to finish anytime I’ve cruised a Saturday to Saturday is 8 days by the way it’s explained on their site. Shouldn’t be a surprise at all as it is explained that way.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:45 AM

So you can afford to pay for a seven day cruise but balk at paying an additional $17 parking charge (which is on the parking facility web site)? Give me a break...the convenience is worth that much. Here is a real money saver...just stay home and watch Love Boat reruns.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
It’s billed as a day from start to finish anytime I’ve cruised a Saturday to Saturday is 8 days by the way it’s explained on their site. Shouldn’t be a surprise at all as it is explained that way.
The parking website says:

"Parking is $17.00 per day (Vehicles & RVs), including day of arrival and day of departure."

The OP claims that they were actually parked there for 6 days and 23 hours. So, they were parked for less than 7 days, not Saturday to Saturday, which would have involved 8 days. So, I have to agree with the OP that they were overcharged, based on the parking rate description.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:02 AM
Sage

No. The OP already stated that they were on a 7-day cruise. Therefore their car was in the parking garage for all or part of 8 days. For example, you depart and return on Saturday; that is 8 days total or partial days. The published policy is that they essentially charge for any part of a day that you are parked. In the OP's case, they retrieved the car one hour earlier than they originally dropped it off so the total time was 6 days and 23 hours. This is different than parking at an airport where the actual time you are parked is used to determine the fee and in this case he would have been charged for 7 days. The parking policy is published so there is nothing to dispute and they were charged appropriately given the published policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The parking website says:

"Parking is $17.00 per day (Vehicles & RVs), including day of arrival and day of departure."

The OP claims that they were actually parked there for 6 days and 23 hours. So, they were parked for less than 7 days, not Saturday to Saturday, which would have involved 8 days. So, I have to agree with the OP that they were overcharged, based on the parking rate description.

Last edited by biker1; 02-21-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
No. The OP already stated that they were on a 7-day cruise. Therefore they were in the parking garage for all or part of 8 days. For example, you depart and return on Saturday; that is 8 days. The published policy is that they essentially charge for any part of a day that you are parked. This is different than parking at an airport where the actual time you are parked is used to determine the fee. The policy is published so there is nothing to dispute.
You are correct. I made a math error.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:10 AM

I use park port canaveral.About $8.00 day.Shuttle you to and from the port and have never left me stranded.

Use Park Port Canaveral.Shuttle to and from terminals with minimal wait time.About $8.00 day

Last edited by Moderator; 02-21-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.