Summer Trip Questions

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Sage
Default Summer Trip Questions

My wife and I would like to go somewhere and just spend some time...anywhere from a couple weeks to a month or so...in one spot. We usually either cruise or go on road trip type vacations, so we're inexperienced at this type of trip. As a result, we'll take any advice we can get.

We want it to be in June or July (+/- a little). Something that would be near mountains or a beach would be great. (Both would be ideal...heheh.) But we're definitely not limiting ourselves to that. We'll consider almost anywhere.

So here's where the questions come in. We're used to a hotel/motel for our short stays on driving trips. What would be our options for this sort of stay-in-one-place trip? I won't get too verbose here. My questions could go on forever. So I'll just stop now. Your advice, recommendations, experiences, etc. are more than welcome for any aspect of such a trip you might think up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

You could try airbnb.com for ideas and prices. Also, some suite hotels, like Marriott Residence Inn and Extended Stay offer long term rates and senior discounts.
Obviously, staying at the beach in the summer will be expensive no matter what you do.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-05-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
My wife and I would like to go somewhere and just spend some time...anywhere from a couple weeks to a month or so...in one spot. We usually either cruise or go on road trip type vacations, so we're inexperienced at this type of trip. As a result, we'll take any advice we can get.

We want it to be in June or July (+/- a little). Something that would be near mountains or a beach would be great. (Both would be ideal...heheh.) But we're definitely not limiting ourselves to that. We'll consider almost anywhere.

So here's where the questions come in. We're used to a hotel/motel for our short stays on driving trips. What would be our options for this sort of stay-in-one-place trip? I won't get too verbose here. My questions could go on forever. So I'll just stop now. Your advice, recommendations, experiences, etc. are more than welcome for any aspect of such a trip you might think up.

Thanks in advance.
Here's an idea we came up with 25 years ago when I retired. We lived in Mexico and went back to N.Y. State every year for 2 months (June&July) to visit. We stayed in student housing. This was a privately owned apartment complex that would have been empty anyway as college was out. Became friends with the family that owned it and several other couples who lived in Florida and did the same thing. Did this for several years and always enjoyed seeing the people every year. I think most colleges have a housing office. Pick an area - find some local schools - call. Cost nothing to ask. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:21 PM
fw102807

We went to the Inn at Westwynd Farm *** Hershey, PA Bed and Breakfast *** #1 Rated Inn at Westwynd Farm one time and it was wonderful. It is right by Hershey which is a very fun experience and also there is a wonderful auto museum AACA Museum | Antique Automobile & Motor Vehicle History There are many other interesting attractions there if you Google a bit.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I had a brother in PEI in Canada. We used to drive all the way, stopping wherever we felt like it, and into PEI. We stayed in a hotel. Yes, it is expensive, but anywhere "up north" in the summer is going to be expensive, but certainly no more than a good cruise. About PEI | Tourism Prince Edward Island

They have a culinary college The Culinary Institute of Canada Dining Room, Charlottetown - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor where the food is unbelievable, especially if you like Lobster!

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Depending on how far you want to drive and whether you like the area, we've enjoyed numerous weeks long vacations...in the Great Smoky Mountains.

While nothing like the "real" mountains of Colorado or Montana, they at least provide some nice views...and usually cooler temp's.

Our preference is in the Cherokee, N.C. area, because it's still pretty close to places like Gatlinburg and Asheville (a little over an hour to each)...but not too close to their daily hordes of tourists.

Here's but one of a plethora of sites that rent mountain cabins...on a nightly/weekly/monthly basis.

Cabins near Cherokee in the Great Smoky Mountains
Old 01-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

You don’t mention your budget but a long Scandinavian Cruise is very nice.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Virginia has the mountains. It also has some the best of the best when it comes to waterfront!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Location: Springfield Oh Phoenix Az Melbourne Fl Lexington Ky

If you want a place in the mountains that is in a small town area we have gone several times to Blue Ridge GA. It is about 1 and 1/2 hours north of Atlanta by the TN border. Small town atmosphere but fairly close to attractions. If you like train rides they have the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway. Check out Abovetherestcabins.com Good luck where ever you go and enjoy.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Gold member

Most ski areas in New England have plenty of condos which can be rented for a week or month or however long you want to stay in summer. Also NH and ME, you can easily visit Montreal or of course Boston if you choose and the ocean is not that far either. Remember these are small states so you can get anywhere pretty easily.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Find a b&b in Asheville NC. You wont be sorry
Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

We rent a furnished apartment for a month or so in the Boston area. We can find something in the area of $100 plus a month. Lot of shore towns and beaches but not much swimming except if you are a Polar Bear. Oh, I see you are a polar Bear. Perhaps the cool Waters north of Boston would be to your liking. Mountains are about 1.5 hours away, lots of cheap local transportation in the Boston area. Lots of history to explore.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Platinum member

Burlington, VT. Had a great time there last summer in the motorhome.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:28 PM
fw102807

We also enjoyed the Chincoteague Island wild pony swim in July
Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Have you considered Branson, Missouri? You can be entertained as much as you like with "clean" respectful shows. The area is very friendly to retirees, especially military. My parents had 3 weeks of timeshares there and loved going. We went with them and were impressed. They found it relaxing and rejuvenating. Their favorite time was around Veterans Day where they have a parade recognizing the work and sacrifice of our veterans. They also host reunions for different military groups.

Also, since you are going in the summer, check out Colorado mountain resorts or rent a house. Again, you have the majestic mountains, hikes, wildlife, nature, peace & quiet. There are dude ranches as well if you want a more physically engaging experience. Or go in to the resort towns such as Breckenridge, Vail or others. If you get too bored (doubtful), you can drive back into Denver for the day.

Finally, Yellowstone National Park is phenomenal! You can visit different areas of the park for hiking, wildlife, and geographical features...way more than Old Faithful. Still one of my favorite places on earth. While it may be too late to find a place within the park (usually book a year out), Jackson Hole is just outside to the south, and you can check out the Grant Tetons which are quite majestic. There are other possible rentals on the outside of the park. I've been looking for a place for a family of 12 for the future and found several places outside of the park in Montana.

I hope this gives you a different part of our majestic USA to consider. Best Wishes and Safe Travels!
Closed Thread

Tags
trip, questions, advice, type, sort

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.