Cruise to Cuba

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Default Cruise to Cuba

Has anyone booked a cruise to Cuba. If so, what was your experience? My husband and I are thinking of going on a cruise and would like to to go Cuba. Thanks for any feedback you can give.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Loved it...we did AzamaraQuest April 2018, Find one that does as many nights as you can get for Havana....that is by far the best port for night action, people watching, tours and easy acess off an
d on the ship.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I'm taking a 5 day cruise on Royal Caribbean the end of August, it goes Key West, Havana and Cozumel. You need a passport of course, but to get off in Havana you need a separate Visa from their government. The Visa is $75 a person plus they're not allowing any free roaming, you must be on a guided tour and the one they are offering is $197 for a 7 hour tour. So for two people it would cost $550 to go into Havana for a few hours when I'm only paying $419 for a window view room for the entire five days. I believe I'm going to just see Havana from the ship.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

On Azamara we were allowed to roam on our own. We did have to sign a form noting the purpose of our visit but we arranged our own private tour and got off the ship at our leisure ie to go to the Tropinica night club on our own.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We did have to pay the $75 visa fee but a 6 hour tour in a classic chevy was approx $150 for 4 people total with Blexie tours. All guides speak perfect english. Great reviews on trip advisor.

Havana with Blexie - Review of Havana Tours With Blexie, Havana, Cuba - TripAdvisor
Old 09-22-2018, 09:01 AM

Henry Yaniz
Transportation & Tourism International, LLC
Si Cuba Tours

1201 SW 12th Court
Miami, FL 33135

henry@sicubatours.com
Tel 786.218.2782

All inclusive tours to Cuba from the villages
Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

I'm going on a cruise to Cuba in May on Royal Caribbean, no mention of having to take a special tour. However, I lived in Havana for 2 years in 1994-1996, so really looking forward to seeing it again.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
My husband and I are thinking of going on a cruise and would like to to go Cuba.
Some cruises visit both Havana (north coast) and Cienfuegos (south coast), which would give you a better taste of the island.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I'm taking a 5 day cruise on Royal Caribbean the end of August, it goes Key West, Havana and Cozumel. You need a passport of course, but to get off in Havana you need a separate Visa from their government. The Visa is $75 a person plus they're not allowing any free roaming, you must be on a guided tour and the one they are offering is $197 for a 7 hour tour. So for two people it would cost $550 to go into Havana for a few hours when I'm only paying $419 for a window view room for the entire five days. I believe I'm going to just see Havana from the ship.
Sorry that part is not accurate. You do not have to use ship based excursions. You can leave the ship and walk anywhere. You also can book your own "tours".

A small group of us just returned a few weeks ago and did not use any of the ship's excursions. We booked our activities using locals, right outside the pier where the ships dock.

Easy, peasy. You need to document (with receipts) what you did while there. That assumes you will spend money while on shore.

Tropicana nightclub is a great experience. We booked that specific evening via Tropicana's website prior to departing on the cruise.

We really enjoyed Havana and plan on visiting again next year.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 09-22-2018, 05:19 PM

We took a Royal Caribbean cruise to Cuba last October and spent a day in Havana. We had to declare a reason for our visit. We chose to say it was educational. We did book a four hour tour in an air conditioned bus. It was very hot in October and air conditioning is limited in Havana. The tour was great. We saw and learned about the country. We were able to walk around historic sites. After the bus tour we walked the city. We chose to head to Ernest Hemingway's hang out, Floridita, for drinks and a fabulous seafood dinner. You get your visa and exchange your money at a bank as soon as you get off the ship. You must exchange your money! Cuba merchants do not accept US currency or credit cards. You can exchange your money back to US just before you return to the ship. We totally enjoyed the day especially our relatively inexpensive dinner at Floridita. Getting off and on the ship, customs, purchasing a visa and currency exchange was quick and seamless.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cuba, give, feedback, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.