Cruising for 14 days or longer

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2021, 07:28 AM

We are also fans of HAL. Having sailed for on several different cruise lines, we kept coming back to HAL. Their service is one of the best in the price range. We were on back to back cruises starting in January, 2020 on the Westerdam boarding in Singapore. Covid exploded around the world at that point. While there was never any evidence of the virus being on board (we had frequent temperature checks and finally a Covid test), our ship was denied entry to almost all of the ports on the second cruise. HAL refunded our cruise fare for that cruise and gave us a future cruise credit for an equal amount. The efforts they made to get everyone home was extraordinary. Throughout it all, the staff was very professional, courteous, and friendly.

While we like the main dining room, we also liked The Pinnacle. If the ship you are on a ship that has The Tamarind, it is a great restaurant - fusion Asian cuisine. If you are going to use their excursions, check the reviews carefully. If you are traveling to more common ports, you can often get a local company to give you a great experience at a reasonable cost. However, I would be more cautious in less visited third world ports. Good Luck and have fun!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:29 AM

We are taking a 23 day cruise September 27, 2021. Sliver Seas cruise line. Expensive . Top of the line everything plus your own butler. Starting in the UK. Can't wait as we had to postpone from 2020. Enjoy
Old 05-08-2021, 07:45 AM

It all depends on your budget. Been cruising all over the world for many years. Started with Carnival, too many drunks, moved to Princess, never again, Holland American, a step above, nothing to write home about, Norwegian, worst ever, moved quickly to Royal Caribbean, great for 7-10 day Caribbean cruises, family oriented, good value, then upgraded to Celebrity, which sailed many International cruises and loved their service and ships, spa driven, relaxing, 60-75 year old crowds, great itineraries, my favorite was nine countries in Asia, recently moved to luxury lines, Viking, and Oceania, smaller ships, great cuisine, unique ports, white glove service, expensive. Best cruise line to meet all my check marks is Celebrity. Beautiful ships, great entertainment, wonderful service and food, medium price, great value with their all in one pricing that includes no tips, drink package, free wi-fi and generous onboard credit for excursions. Once your board, nothing to worry about with the what I call housekeeping expenses. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time and be sure to check out their COVID and cancellation policies.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:55 AM

I have cruised for 2-3 weeks and it’s a great experience.
I would look at Oceania. Their package includes air and trips off the ship. And they are smaller and more personal. Enjoy!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:56 AM

I have cruised for 2-3 weeks and it’s a great experience. I would not do it if anyone has sea sickness.
I would look at Oceania. Their package includes air and trips off the ship. And they are smaller and more personal.
And a river cruise in Europe. I use Grand circle. Enjoy!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:21 AM

We have been cruising for years on most of the cruise lines. The first and only time onboard Celebrity was the worst cruise we ever had. Large tear in carpeting in our stateroom. Almost tripped on my way to balcony. Arm rest of the sofa had a slit exposing the stuffing. In the dining room the service & food was cold and terrible, and the sides on most of the chairs were peeling. I took photos and sent them to Celebrity explaining how disappointed I was because every one raved about the Celebrity Line. I got a call from headquarters where they offered us $200 on our next Celebrity cruise. I said NO. We will never sail on Celebrity again. About 10 minutes later I got another call saying I can use the $200 on our next Royal Caribbean cruise, their parent company.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:42 AM

Hal is a great line and strong in customer service. Same experience as dtennent above with Covid 2020 in the South China Sea. Antartica, via Panama Canal around South America and the Amazon great cruise. Smaller ship allows better views in Antartica. Most HAL ships asleep bye 11.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:23 AM

HA provides a relaxing and peaceful experience, consistent with the age of its passengers. The music is, usually, appropriate for dancing. The food is consistent and above average. The entire atmosphere is directed towards an age-group of 65+ (if not 75+).

HA's ships are, generally, smaller. They lack the rah-rah attractions of waterslides etc. We got a chuckle from "dodging" the electric scooters in the hallways. The dress of the passengers is more conventional (no wife-beater T shirts). You'll have a better chance of finding a regular bridge game than a loud disco!

If you want a relaxing cruise of 14 or so days, look into the "repositioning" transatlantic cruises in the Spring and Fall. This is when the lines move their ships between Europe and the Caribbean. The number of ports you visit will be limited. The upside is that you don't have to hurry off the ship to get on a bus or hire a taxi to visit some attraction you don't really car about for a few hours. If on the ship's bus, you'll spend hours waiting at restroom stops. To top it off, the prices on the repositioning cruises are the lowest and, if you are a frequent customer of the line, you will often receive upgrades.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Default Cruisecritic

I also recommend checking out cruise critic dot com. There is so much information there! Also, on a longer cruise, it's fun to communicate with others on your cruise. Some might be arranging private tours that you'd like to take advantage of. Our longest cruise was 28 days around South America. We met others from TV who were going on the cruise, so that made it more fun. Also, if there are enough people on the thread, they arrange a get together on the ship so you can find the people you've been talking to online. If you like to get acquainted on a cruise, it's an added advantage.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:37 AM

Viking River cruises are fantastic!
Old 05-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Don’t worry, there is a high probability you will be on the boat for much longer than 14 days once it goes into quarantine.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

If you are in Florida you should not need an 8 hour plane ride for many cruises.

Have never been on HAL as I have never felt old enough. Started with Royal for a few then went to Carnival for a few more, both were great although be like the food on Carnival better. After a long time without cruising we are booked next year on Norwegian to Alaska.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:41 AM

I've been on Royal, Celebrity, Carnival and HAL. I rank Carnival at the bottom of my preferences.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 05-09-2021, 09:11 AM

Tx, Great tips, we are ready to go with the back to back cruises from different cities!!
Old 05-09-2021, 09:12 AM
Default Cruising

]Did the Viking. Fantastic.

We love Viking have rebooked our 15 day cruise 3 x, plan April :2022 from Amsterdam to Budapest only 180 people on board no kids. We also did an ocean cruise in 2019 Venice to Barcelona fantastic food and service wonderful. we're hoping we can go 2022
Closed Thread

Tags
days, longer, cruising, hours, holland

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.