Day Trip to the Beach

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Default Day Trip to the Beach

The grandkids are visiting this week and we thought a day trip to the beach would be fun. We're thinking of Clearwater Beach. Does anyone have suggestions or helpful hints? Where to park? Rent an umbrella?
Thanks, Ruth in Hadley
Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Default Daytona Beach

Daytona Beach is nice for several reasons. The Light House is a nice stop. Driving on the beach is unique. The restaurant on the peer, don't remember the name, is good. The Atlantic this time of year should be good also. Just another idea.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 AM

A good choice!

An easy drive: I-75 south to I-275;
take 275 west towards the airport until it intersects with Highway 60 (in front of the airport).

Head west on 60 until you reach the Gulf! NOTE: Highway 60 is also called the Courtney Campbell Causeway and Gulf to Bay Road.

Plenty of parking; a pier that juts out into the bay; lots of food joints; safe; clean.

I recommend renting an umbrella there. Hours of baking in direct sun decreases the fun factor, sunburn hurts for a day or so afterward, and neither experience is all that healthy.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Also, Daytona has at least one beachfront playground with motion-activated sprinklers in the deck (I think it has a large mega-gym area, too) for children, picnic tables, nice restrooms, etc, just a little south of where International Speedway ends at the beach. We were at Daytona yesterday and the pier is being renovated, so I'm thinking the restaurant on it isn't open right now; but I'm not sure. But, Ocean Deck restaurant, just a little south of the pier, is a fun classic beachside restaurant; very casual, you can enter right from the beach; if you sit on the outdoor area you don't even need shoes. Also, there is a ferris wheel and other rides right on the beach, slightly north of the pier. It is a little shorter drive than Clearwater from here; about 90 minutes vs. about 2 hours. There are areas on both beaches where you can rent umbrellas, etc. Either side, you will have a wonderful day.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrod View Post
Daytona Beach is nice for several reasons. The Light House is a nice stop. Driving on the beach is unique. The restaurant on the peer, don't remember the name, is good. The Atlantic this time of year should be good also. Just another idea.
Renrod is correct on all assessments.

Cocoa Beach is another good option. A bit of a drive but an easy one. Cocoa Beach has a pier; plenty of food joints; Port Canaveral- a fun drive-through experience where the grandkids can see Disney and other large cruise ships; a public park on the intracoastal that often attracts manatees; a beachside park or two that have playgrounds; a park at south end of Cocoa next across from Patrick AFB provides views of any miliarty jets and planes when overhead.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 AM

You will love Clearwater Beach try to park on the street if you can the last time I was there we had to put money in the meters and that can be a pain...You can rent chairs etc....Daytona beach is also nice you can drive on the beach there are rest.on the beach.....St Pete beach is also nice.....
Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

New Smyrna Beach is another good option. You can also park on the beach there for $5. Blue Spring State park is a nice diversion and is more or less on the way there.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Another vote for Daytona or Daytona area... Just got back from there yesterday. You can drive/park on the beach and it was not at all crowded.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
New Smyrna Beach is another good option. You can also park on the beach there for $5. Blue Spring State park is a nice diversion and is more or less on the way there.
If you do elect to go to New Smyrna Beach and are in the mood for a really great burger, make sure you stop at The Breakers. Smack dab on the beach:

http://www.thebreakersnsb.com/

Bill
Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

If you go to Clearwater we like the beach at Sand Key. It is in Clearwater but just South over the bridge from Clearwater Beach. You have to pay to park but it is much less crowded.
Another nice beach is Howard Park in Tarpon Springs. It's a county park with picnic areas and play grounds on the main land then the beach is on the barrier island.
The very best beach in that area IMHO is Caladesi island, you have to take a small ferry from Honeymoon Island state park in Dunedin. http://www.floridastateparks.org/caladesiisland/.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Gee, this is a great thread - got me in the mood I'll tell you. Had planned to do Treasure Island on St Pete Beach next week, but wife's recuperation from hospital stay put that on hold. Last time we were there she was strolling the beach, as big and pregnant as a whale - summer 1962. Spoke with a lady at the travel-spo last week from the adjoining hotel we stayed at then, The Thunderbird, so we'd planned to do one of those. The mention above of Courtney Campbell Causeway brought back memories of weekend visits there when we were at MacDill AFB and that was all we could afford. Things change.... Busch Gardens was free thern.... consisted of a few dozen parrots, some palm trees and a free beer at the brewery...... Times do change.....

Thanks again for the thread, I made notes....
Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Another vote for Daytona or Daytona area... Just got back from there yesterday. You can drive/park on the beach and it was not at all crowded.
Me too for Daytona. My favorite beach spot. If you are going to see the lighthouse at Ponce Inlet....be sure to cross OVER the Dunlawton St bridge and immediately to your left ON THE RIVER is Aunt Catfish restaurant. ( 4009 Halifax Ave in Port Orange 32127 ) My favorite in the Daytona area. Be prepared to wait a spell...but it is worth the wait IMHO. Fight the locals for a water view table.....or eat outside. Good value and great food.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
Me too for Daytona. My favorite beach spot. If you are going to see the lighthouse at Ponce Inlet....be sure to cross OVER the Dunlawton St bridge and immediately to your left ON THE RIVER is Aunt Catfish restaurant. ( 4009 Halifax Ave in Port Orange 32127 ) My favorite in the Daytona area. Be prepared to wait a spell...but it is worth the wait IMHO. Fight the locals for a water view table.....or eat outside. Good value and great food.
Another vote for Aunt Catfish's! Plan on arriving early to avoid the wait.

http://www.auntcatfishontheriver.com/

Bill
Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 PM

Love Aunt Catfishes! Recommend St. Augustine as well. Beautiful beach, Southbeach Grill for eats (right on the beach) and town is full of tourist attractions. The lions are back and there is a new pirate museum brought up from the Keys. 2 hours from TV.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linandvin View Post
Love Aunt Catfishes! Recommend St. Augustine as well. Beautiful beach, Southbeach Grill for eats (right on the beach) and town is full of tourist attractions. The lions are back and there is a new pirate museum brought up from the Keys. 2 hours from TV.
Thanks for the heads up on the Southbeach Grill........" the wife" ...( aka sweetest baby girl )...just loves waterfront dining. OMG, I just discovered that I'm a food freak. You name a town and all I thnk about is the good food in the town. I think that I may need some professional help. St. Augustine + Greek food = ATHENA restaurant. Located at 14 Cathedral Pl 32084. When (if) you cross the Bridge of Lions toward the "old town" just stay straight and you are on Cathedral. Not much for size or looks.....but....the real good "authentic" Greek food... AND... you can even get scrambled eggs for grandkids at night. It is just a couple of doors down from "the Cathedral Basilica" and across from the park where the "ghost tour" starts at "sunset". Do not forget to go kitty-corner across the street and take the eco tour....or the river front home tour from the marina. I am a sick-sick puppy. gotta go----I can see the frig from here...........

Last edited by mrfixit; 05-17-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: skeered of de spelingk polices
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.