Directions from Buffalo,NY

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Default Directions from Buffalo,NY

I will be driving to TV in November. I want an efficient route, but also one that is safe for 2 women traveling alone. We will be stopping every 6 hours or so and will need decent hotels along the way.

Does anyone have any recommendations for routes that will have chain hotels along the way (i.e. Hilton, Marriott, etc).

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:00 PM

I do take I95 south from NJ to Florida, by myself without trepidation. You will hear all kinds of advice on how to avoid the traffic near DC and Va.......I've tried a couple alternatives in that area and it just seems that there is traffic no matter where you drive in that zone. I just avoid rush hour and Friday pm beach traffic and deal with the few miles of bumper to bumper near the border to Va. Lumberton, NC is an excellent safe spot to stop. There are five or six hotels right off the exit that are clean, in a safe area and very nice. I stayed at the Comfort Suites. Fast food and sit down restaurants right next door. I would NOT recommend stopping in Fayetteville, NC. I did not feel safe there at all. Once you are through NC, I95 south is a very easy ride, often two lanes lined with clearly marked gas and food stops along the way. Be prepared to pump your own gas (NJ does not allow that, so if you are not familiar with how it works, just prepare ahead of time). Once I was in FL, my GPS sent me on Route 207 to Route 19 through the Ocala Forest. It took about 2 hours to reach the Villages once I crossed into Florida. The Ocala Forest is a little desolate (pine trees and palms), but I felt safe driving through. Be sure to fill up your gas tank before, since there was not many stations on Route 19.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:27 PM

Thank you very much!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

you can use google maps it will give you few options on routes. (Even better gps in your car or google maps on your phone or iPad if you got one? Also it will show any construction or wrecks ahead of you) It will also give you average time. If you don't have any technology, you can go to library bring it up and even print it out for small fee.

Once you pick your route you can enter you start and city you think you make how ever long you drive, make the map larger and it will show hotels along your route. If it was me I'd avoid the east coast and I95 till South Carolina. Google maps shows western route that's hour less which goes southwest to western pa. Then straight south.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:19 PM

We are from Rochester so we normally started south on Rt. 15. I know many people from Buffalo take 90 west to Erie, 79 south to Charleston, West Virginia, 77 south to Charlotte, North Carolina where you can spend your 1st night. Take 74 over to 95 south. It's a very pretty drive and you miss all that horrible beltway traffic in Washington.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
We are from Rochester so we normally started south on Rt. 15. I know many people from Buffalo take 90 west to Erie, 79 south to Charleston, West Virginia, 77 south to Charlotte, North Carolina where you can spend your 1st night. Take 74 over to 95 south. It's a very pretty drive and you miss all that horrible beltway traffic in Washington.
Great advice, no need to go anywhere near DC. If you don't have a dedicated gps use an app called Waze, it will tell you about traffic, police, construction and recalucate best route based in traffic delays.

Even if you have a dedicated gps, use Waze in addition to it. Note... It will use data
Old 09-04-2017, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Reply

90 then 71s to 75....to Villages cut off...lots of easy off and on ramps, hotels, restaurants.

AAA will give you free maps and directions if you are a member.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 AM

Thank you all!
Closed Thread

Tags
hotels, decent, hours, marriott, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.