Euros for River Cruise

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Euros for River Cruise

We will be taking a 2 week Viking river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest, with 3 days in Amsterdam, and 3 days in Prague.

Wondering how much in Euro's I would need? Any suggestions.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
We will be taking a 2 week Viking river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest, with 3 days in Amsterdam, and 3 days in Prague.

A combination of a VISA card and a debit card for ATM's will work fine. We use a debit card tied to a Schwab account. Schwab waives all ATM fees plus reimburses you in the event your card gets hacked. I would hit an ATM at Schipol Airport in AMS for your initial Euro purchase then replenish as needed during your cruise. You will probably use your credit card more and use the Euros for small or cash only purchases, cab fares, etc.. Have a great time!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Sage

IMHO, never use a debit card card when traveling, if there is a skimmer--your bank account could be emptied--use a credit card and your exposure is limited--we have shredded all our debit cards--very unsecure
Old 06-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
IMHO, never use a debit card card when traveling, if there is a skimmer--your bank account could be emptied--use a credit card and your exposure is limited--we have shredded all our debit cards--very unsecure
Like I said, Schwab reimburses everything ( Actually had that happen 2 years in Florence). Plus we use an account with just enough cash to cover what we anticipate withdrawing. Also, you get the actual market conversion rate, not the pumped up bank rate.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post

Did this very similar trip 2016, but less days.
Get small bills for tipping.
Eastern Europe is inexpensive
$1.00 for driver and $5.00 for tour guides is what we did
In Bucharest a taxi took my CapitalOne Venture Visa card, that was impressive
We did a 9 day tour and $230.00 cash was plenty
Enjoy your trip!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

For the last 11 years, traveled through 6 countries, 65 towns, always used Debit card for cash in Euro's and Visa credit card, never had any issues. Always carries USD in tummy concealed pack, as backup.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have traveled all over the would and used my Schwab debit card in ATM's everywhere. Never a problem and all fees are reimbursed and always get that days exchange rate with no mark up.

Bets card available if you travel outside the US. I even like it here as I don't care what ATM I see, that is the one I use. No fees ever.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:44 PM

We went to AAA and got a Starter pak of currency. We came home with most of it. ATM and Credit Cards were used almost exclusively.,
Old 10-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I have traveled all over the would and used my Schwab debit card in ATM's everywhere. Never a problem and all fees are reimbursed and always get that days exchange rate with no mark up.

Bets card available if you travel outside the US. I even like it here as I don't care what ATM I see, that is the one I use. No fees ever.
Ditto on the Schwab debit card. We have used ours extensively in Europe and Australia and never had a problem.

In order to open a Schwab checking account, it was a requirement to invest funds with them. That was ten years ago. I don't know if it is still true. We invested a minor amount with them. They have never bugged us to invest more. And they have the nicest telephone customer service department.

Tags
amsterdam, days, euros, river, cruise

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.