Favorite memories while traveling

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2020, 07:10 PM
Default Favorite memories while traveling

I normally would be planning a trip around this time of the year, and it has me reminiscing on some past travels. On one trip to Russia, I ran to a grocery store near my hotel. My Russian is pretty poor, so I grabbed what appeared to be shredded chicken. When I got back to my hotel and opened the package, it was chicken...but chicken in a jello substance. For about two minutes I examined this mystery food, and even poked it with a knife until I finally went in for a bite (wasn't a fan). That was how I accidentally discovered a Russian dish called kholodets.

So I'm curious, what are some memories from your travels? Domestic or international. They can be good, bad, or just plain absurd!
Old 04-27-2020, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

That one is easy. Camping out in the canvas tents built on platforms on the side of a hill overlooking the crystal clear Caribbean water at Maho Bay Campground in St. John, USVI. We vacationed there for about 20 consecutive years, but had to stop when Maho Bay’s lease on the land expired and the land was sold to a billionaire for his private playground. What a shame that Maho had to close. Oh well, they say that nothing that good can last forever.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That one is easy. Camping out in the canvas tents built on platforms on the side of a hill overlooking the crystal clear Caribbean water at Maho Bay Campground in St. John, USVI. We vacationed there for about 20 consecutive years, but had to stop when Maho Bay’s lease on the land expired and the land was sold to a billionaire for his private playground. What a shame that Maho had to close. Oh well, they say that nothing that good can last forever.
Mine for me was a Wife Swap in Antigua spur of the moment, it was Amazing. Next day like it never happened.

But it was a Double OMG .

My understanding here it is common. However I have no knowledge only hearsay
Old 04-27-2020, 11:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Several years ago, planning a trip to SW France, I offered on TOTV to light a candle and say a prayer or whatever people wanted me to say. We loved to explore ancient churches, and most all had candles to light for a donation. I can't remember exactly, but I think I got 30-40 requests. I had a list. I tried to take pictures to send back to the people, but it was usually too dark. I didn't have the low light capability I have on my present camera. We must have spent nearly €100. It was very uplifting. And we got to see many churches we probably would have otherwise driven by.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:26 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Memories

Lived in Anchorage for 2 years. Watching the Northern Lights dance in the sky nightly was fantastic.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Great Experiences

Driving from Paris to Tuscany and renting a Vila in Tuscany. Working in Paris.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Mine experience wasn't from a trip I planned, when I was 20 Uncle Sam sent me to Korea in 1970. Having grown up in Florida, I had never seen mountains or even too many hills.

We got a new guy, named Jim from Washington State and he showed up 300' of climbing rope, repelling gear and after a couple of months he talked about five of us into going.

Climbing and repelling is almost like a national sport in South Korea. Jim found out there was a great place about ten miles south. We were in the DMZ about 4 miles from Panmunjom and we got a cab and just went to the middle of nowhere and he said, stop here.

We got out, walked into the woods and about 100 yards in and not visible from the road, was a giant Buddah statue that had to be 50' or more high. All by itself, nobody around, it looked just like the photo below. We continue to hike and about a mile we came to a creek and set up our camp. We got out our gear and Jim had us practice repelling down about a 20' high rock face. After doing that for a while, we were now headed to what they call 'The Frog's Mouth'.

300' straight rock face with a 10' or so lip around the top and then a 50' gap which we would need to free-fall and then another 250' to the bottom. From the distance it looked like a giant opened frog's mouth. First time I was scared to death, in fact the photo below is the first trip down and I actually dropped the rope and was standing on the edge with nothing. I was looking straight down at was the lip and trying to figure out how to go over the edge. Jim on the right had to slide down and pick up the rope and hand it back to me. I loved it so much I did it about 8 more times that day. The photo is in black & white because we developed them ourselves in the rec center and B&W is all you can do.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 04-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Mine experience wasn't from a trip I planned, when I was 20 Uncle Sam sent me to Korea in 1970. Having grown up in Florida, I had never seen mountains or even too many hills.

We got a new guy, named Jim from Washington State and he showed up 300' of climbing rope, repelling gear and after a couple of months he talked about five of us into going.

Climbing and repelling is almost like a national sport in South Korea. Jim found out there was a great place about ten miles south. We were in the DMZ about 4 miles from Panmunjom and we got a cab and just went to the middle of nowhere and he said, stop here.

We got out, walked into the woods and about 100 yards in and not visible from the road, was a giant Buddah statue that had to be 50' or more high. All by itself, nobody around, it looked just like the photo below. We continue to hike and about a mile we came to a creek and set up our camp. We got out our gear and Jim had us practice repelling down about a 20' high rock face. After doing that for a while, we were now headed to what they call 'The Frog's Mouth'.

300' straight rock face with a 10' or so lip around the top and then a 50' gap which we would need to free-fall and then another 250' to the bottom. From the distance it looked like a giant opened frog's mouth. First time I was scared to death, in fact the photo below is the first trip down and I actually dropped the rope and was standing on the edge with nothing. I was looking straight down at was the lip and trying to figure out how to go over the edge. Jim on the right had to slide down and pick up the rope and hand it back to me. I loved it so much I did it about 8 more times that day. The photo is in black & white because we developed them ourselves in the rec center and B&W is all you can do.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Fantastic. You win!

Tags
chicken, hotel, travels, memories, russian

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.