First Weekend Trip Since covid

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2020, 08:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default First Weekend Trip Since covid

My wife and I took our first weekend trip since COVID began. We usually take at least one per month to places like Clearwater, St Augustine , Sarasota etc.

Booked two days at Holiday Inn Express in Bay Pines, Madeira Beach. This post just to inform readers of the current experience and not to promote area , hotel or restaurants. In summary, we are ready to travel again (this way).

From The Villages, traveled 1 hour and took a break at the Tampa Bay Outlets in Land of Lakes. All stores require masks to enter. No problem and I solved a problem. I found a store that carried waist size 35 men's shorts and pants. I cannot wear waist 34 and waist 36 is baggy. Some stores were limiting shopper entrance.

Stopped at Tampa International Mall for lunch at The Pub. Masks required, and lunch prices have increased, but still good.

Arrived at HIX, found it to be quite well utilized. There were many young lady softball teams and parents. Signs requiring masks were well used. Most people complied. If not distances were kept. The hotel breakfast (free) was now served Cafeteria Style and not self served. It was better than before. Many sanitation stations. No daily room service but there was a knock at the door asking if anything needed. Don't know how that would work if we were not there. Felt comfortable in room, elevators an breakfast room. Pool and Exercise rooms were open. Coffee available all day. No newspapers. Each rooms ACs were limited to that room.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Good to know. We are ready for a 1-2 day trip to SOMEWHERE. All precautions taken, but ready for change Of scenery.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
From The Villages, traveled 1 hour and took a break at the Tampa Bay Outlets in Land of Lakes. All stores require masks to enter. No problem and I solved a problem. I found a store that carried waist size 35 men's shorts and pants. I cannot wear waist 34 and waist 36 is baggy. Some stores were limiting shopper entrance.
And the store is ... ? Thx.

kathy
Old 09-14-2020, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

our primary MD gave us the okay to escape somewhere when we saw him last week

we've rented a beachfront cottage on Amelia Island for a week...about a 2 hour drive, we'll bring our own food/wine/beer with us and do all our own cooking (like we do currently)... it'll be swim trunks, flip flops and beach umbrellas for the week

felt more comfortable going with a small cottage right on the beach through Airbnb than being in a condo and staying on the 5th or 6th floor

we've used Airbnb to rent cottages on Cape Cod and OBX in the past and been very happy
Old 09-14-2020, 09:30 PM
Gold member

We are staying at Bon-Aire Resort ion St Pete Beach. Need to get away & we feel confident that we will be safe as all CDC guidelines are being followed & enforced.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We would like a condo rental on the beach that is dog friendly and has an elevator. Our elderly dog cannot do stairs. We went to La Quinta on the beach at Cocoa, but they are in the midst of renovations, so pretty noisy. Plus I would like more space than one room. Any dog owners with suggestions for either coast would be appreciated. A bonus would be if dogs are allowed on the beach.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We would like a condo rental on the beach that is dog friendly and has an elevator. Our elderly dog cannot do stairs. We went to La Quinta on the beach at Cocoa, but they are in the midst of renovations, so pretty noisy. Plus I would like more space than one room. Any dog owners with suggestions for either coast would be appreciated. A bonus would be if dogs are allowed on the beach.
Not many beaches allow dogs as far as I know. Condo rentals right now are limited with huge restrictions due to the virus. Especially if the units are mostly permanenet residents and not tourists. I know several that limit the use of any amenities to visitors. They can only be used by the people who reside their full time, not seasonal drop by visitors
Old 09-15-2020, 06:27 AM

Went to Amelia Island last week for 3 days. It was wonderful. We stayed at a small boutiques hotel. Masks and social distancing was required. Weather, beach and surf was terrific. Enjoy your trip.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
All beaches in Dauphin Island, Alabama are dog friendly. Houses have many stairs, but some with elevators.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:00 AM

Check with Alden Suites in St Pete Beach. They allow dogs in poolside suites. It is right on the beach and each suite has a kitchen and separate living area. We go every year for 3-4 days. My favorite spot is the beach bar and snack shack.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:03 AM
Smile

Old 09-15-2020, 07:05 AM

I recommend St. Pete Beach Suites. Dog friendly remodeled motel just one block from the beach. And you can get a one bedroom suite for just a little more space.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:06 AM
Veteran member
Default Try farther englewood FL.

Several larger timeshares available . also cottages on beach for across st .
Old 09-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Default Time away

We are currently at the Daytona Regency enjoying the ocean. It is a timeshare type unit with full kitchen. Brought our own food etc although Publix is nearby. Right next door is the Wyndham Ocean Walk. Have stayed there in the past. Prefer Wyndham. Mask mandate in Daytona. Feeling safe
Old 09-15-2020, 09:31 AM

Sounds great, we do miss our short trips from The Villages, Florida has so much to see. Be safe and be safe for others.
Closed Thread

Tags
room, masks, waist, served, breakfast

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.