Flying today is no Picnic

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Appropriate punishment for these @rseh0l3$: Handcuff both their legs to the wheelchair and let them lead the life of those that they fraudulently imitated to be first in line for say 3 months. Doubt anyone would ever try it again.
I like the idea.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Bet over 90% of service dogs are fake. Brother had a real service dog. Dog had to have certain temprament, longevity and 18 months of training. Most so called service dogs appear to be for social purposes.
Service dogs, not "emotional support" dogs, should have license on their collar that is numbered and registered by the state. Anyone caught faking it does hard time and fines. Any company caught selling fake licenses is fined big and shut down with ceos getting prison.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Service dogs, not "emotional support" dogs, should have license on their collar that is numbered and registered by the state. Anyone caught faking it does hard time and fines. Any company caught selling fake licenses is fined big and shut down with ceos getting prison.
For myself, I would be in favor of drawing and quartering, but...
Old 09-09-2022, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
And a stern talking to.

The problem is that they already do that with handicapped parking permits, but they allow any doctor to issue a permit. In my opinion, doctors do not do a good job of screening out those who don't need a permit.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
For myself, I would be in favor of drawing and quartering, but...
I agree with you, but it is just so messy. Eww😠
Old 09-09-2022, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
And a stern talking to.

The problem is that they already do that with handicapped parking permits, but they allow any doctor to issue a permit. In my opinion, doctors do not do a good job of screening out those who don't need a permit.
Doctor's role is to diagnose and treat, as well as prevent illness. It is NOT to "issue permits"---put some petty bureaucrat in charge of that.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Doctor's role is to diagnose and treat, as well as prevent illness. It is NOT to "issue permits"---put some petty bureaucrat in charge of that.
Funny, I've never ""issued a permit"...

I've filled out permit requests with the appropriate diagnosis for the patient which may or may not be approved by the local MVA...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-09-2022, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Funny, I've never ""issued a permit"...

I've filled out permit requests with the appropriate diagnosis for the patient which may or may not be approved by the local MVA...
"May or may not be approved?" If you are referring to a handicapped parking permit, the permit is issued by the state. But, they depend entirely on a doctor signing the application form. I don't think that any applications, signed by a doctor, are ever denied.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
If you are referring to a handicapped parking permit, the permit is issued by the state.
And have you heard of anyone getting fined for parking in a handicap parking space??
Old 09-09-2022, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
And have you heard of anyone getting fined for parking in a handicap parking space??
I think they will ticket and fine you if you don't have a permit. But, the problem is that there is no enforcement for someone who has a permit, but doesn't need one. They assume that, if a doctor signed the application, that the person needs to park in a handicapped space. With some exceptions, most people who have a medical condition are encouraged to walk more and not to park in a handicapped space. In those cases, why don't doctors refuse to sign the application?
Old 09-09-2022, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
I think they will ticket and fine you if you don't have a permit. But, the problem is that there is no enforcement for someone who has a permit, but doesn't need one. They assume that, if a doctor signed the application, that the person needs to park in a handicapped space. With some exceptions, most people who have a medical condition are encouraged to walk more and not to park in a handicapped space. In those cases, why don't doctors refuse to sign the application?
Because it takes 10 seconds to sign it and 15 minutes to argue with a patient that you won't. Which is why you cannot put doctors in charge of this process. It doesn't take a medical education to figure out who qualifies for a handicap permit and who doesn't.

And yes, I have in the past refused to sign them, but rest assured, it never worked out well.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:16 PM
Default So much for people now days. It's only going to get worse.

So much for people now days. It's only going to get worse.
Quote:
I have a daughter-in -law in a wheelchair.

Her and my son have been vacationing for many years between Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

They pack at least 3-4 large suitcases and until the last couple years, they had plenty of friendly help at the airport.

Now the last couple times they traveled there's no help with my daughter-in-law
and their luggage anywhere.

My son asks what was going on, and they said besides the lack of help, they also said people are buying wheelchairs just to get to the front on the TSA line.

Now how sick is that?

So much for the disability act.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have a daughter-in -law in a wheelchair.

Her and my son have been vacationing for many years between Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

They pack at least 3-4 large suitcases and until the last couple years, they had plenty of friendly help at the airport.

Now the last couple times they traveled there's no help with my daughter-in-law
and their luggage anywhere.

My son asks what was going on, and they said besides the lack of help, they also said people are buying wheelchairs just to get to the front on the TSA line.

Now how sick is that?

So much for the disability act.

Dunno - does Mexico and/or the DR have a disability act?
Old 09-09-2022, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:

Yes I have, an easy ticket for a parking enforcement operator who can argue they are not guilty?
Old 09-09-2022, 06:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

A former girlfriend in CA had some very serious issues over ten years ago. She is ok today. Back then her physician issued her a "permanent" handicapped parking permit which she still uses to get up close parking to this day.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
couple, years, son, lack, luggage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.