Gainesville Butterfly Rainforest

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Default Gainesville Butterfly Rainforest

We are going to the Gainesville Butterfly Museum tomorrow and we are interested in other visitors thoughts on their experience.

Also, is there any place nearby where we can get a bite to eat?
Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

There are a lot of restaurants on archer rd. that's the main street off of I-75 if you are traveling to the rainforest from the villages. There is fast food, steak houses. Italian, sub shops just to name a few. The butterfly forest is a great exhibit. Very interesting and Educational. Take your time and sit at the benches and watch them fly around and hopefully one will land on you. I had one land on my shoulders.you will have a very good time. If time lets you check out the other museums on campus.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage

Took our then 5 YO grandson there a few years ago - got in the rain forest and he freaked out about the Butterflys flying in his face and made a bee line for the door.

(one of my grandsons' in the Boulder, CO area wouldn't let the tooth fairy in his room) (maybe a genetic fear of small flying creatures?).

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Sage

I went last year with the photography club. It was one of the best times I had last year. Bring a camera. Take your time.

The museum next door is also very good.

I had some extra time and went in the gift shop. I never go in gift shops.
I bought one of my most favorite Village possessions. It's a plastic fold out of the birds in our area. It cost $8 and is indestructible. I keep it in my golf bag to identify mostly water birds. It's about 4 inches by 12 inches when folded.

Using that cheat sheet, I thought by now I would know quite a few birds names by heart.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you happen to drive south, there is a lovely open butterfly exhibit in Coconut Creek,
just west of Pompano Beach on Sample Road (Ft. Lauderdale area). Butterflies are all around you in a lovely tropical setting.

Just something to think about if you happen to be going in that direction.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Gold member

This sounds like a good day trip for my 90 year old mother! She uses a walker when we are out and about. Is it handicapped accessible?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Default Thanks for the responses

Thanks to all for responding. We had an enjoyable day at the Museum of Natural History and was amazed at all the exhibits. There is much more than just the Butterfly Rainforest section. We later went to the Art Museum.

Our only unknown problem was that the butterflys do not fly in the drizzling rain, so that was a downer. There were many, but were just perched within the trees and plants. But we enjoyed the beautiful tropical scenery.
We enjoyed a nice lunch at the BurgerFi restaurant on Archer St.

An overall enjoyable daytrip considering our Village golf was cancelled and we were unable to do our daily neighborhood walk. So with lemons we made lemonade.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

Sable99 you might want to call them . I know that they won't let strollers in the exhibit because the paths are very narrow and it does get crowded. Buckeye glad you had a nice time and was able to see the other museums and have dinner at a place on archer rd.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
This sounds like a good day trip for my 90 year old mother! She uses a walker when we are out and about. Is it handicapped accessible?

Might be - there is a sloping path through it with handrails on the sides.

Visitor Information :: Florida Museum of Natural History

Give them a call.

There are many other interesting exhibits there.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Gold member

I'l give them a call when we are next in TV. She usually takes her seated walker on day trips in case she needs to sit down. But, she has a "nifty" little walker that folds up to a little bit bigger than a large umbrella and weighs about 6 pounds. She loves it to take to church, the beauty shop, bank, etc because she can handle it herself. Beleive me, it takes a lot to slow her down!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Default Sible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I'l give them a call when we are next in TV. She usually takes her seated walker on day trips in case she needs to sit down. But, she has a "nifty" little walker that folds up to a little bit bigger than a large umbrella and weighs about 6 pounds. She loves it to take to church, the beauty shop, bank, etc because she can handle it herself. Beleive me, it takes a lot to slow her down!
Sable, It has handicap access for sure. You might want to call to find out what the best drop off point is and to see if someone fm th museum will assist your entry.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie Brown View Post
Sable, It has handicap access for sure. You might want to call to find out what the best drop off point is and to see if someone fm th museum will assist your entry.
Great! Thank you. I will give them a call.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.