Hawaii

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Default Hawaii

Hi....long shot here.....has anyone recently moved from Honolulu? I am planning a visit there and need to know safe areas to possibly rent a house or book hotel. I haven't been there since 1959 and its totally changed. Thank you.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:55 PM

We stayed in the resort area of Ko’Olina - it’s beautiful and we stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club for 2 weeks in 2017. Can’t wait to go back. Lots of great Name brand large hotels in Honolulu but it is crowded with tourists. Always felt safe and welcome! Aloha!
Old 03-31-2019, 09:20 PM

I lived in Ko'Olina for three years. Nice place but traffic in Oahu is ridiculous so you're pretty much stuck there and aside for beautiful lagoons and $300 a night hotel, that's it. Of course there are the touristy things in Honolulu and the north shore for the beaches and surf, but getting there is a traffic nightmare. Go to Kauai or The Big Island. Both are way better and fewer tourists. Oh ya, bring lots and lots of money and find out where the locals go to shop and eat.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:31 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Friends of mine who have lived on the big island several years can't wait to leave and return to the mainland although it was their dream to retire there. Various issues such as ridiculously high taxes, the high cost of food and gasoline, inadequate medical resources, high crime rate and many other problems are driving them back to the mainland.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-01-2019, 02:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Wife and I went to Hawaii several years ago, and found the whole place vastly overated, unless you are into pineapples, tourist shops, and being ripped off at overpriced hotels and attractions.
JOHO.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:05 AM

For what it's worth Honolulu is not Hawaii to me. I have spent several months time in Maui and found there is more there to do and experience then the other islands. I suggest renting a condo to avoid the the crazy expense of a resort. Check out Maui Kamaole condos in Kihei. I also suggest to stay no less than two weeks do to the time change from here. Good luck and sorry Two Bills you fell into what I saw there when you don't take the time to know the Islands before you go, and just go to the tourist traps you missed the real experience that has so much to offer.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Honolulu has more to do than the other islands..but shshshsh t’s a secret!..just stay out of Waikiki..We were living there in the 80’s and go back to stay in a **** every 2 yrs or so. Bellows Beach, Local hula shows..Friday concerts at Iolani palace, Hike up Diamond Head..Hanama bay is still wonderful to snorkel ....just get out there a little further...Swap meet at Aloha Stadium(yeah!!) Makapuu beach...SANDY BEACH (I watch only there!)The smaller Chief’s Luau, Rainbow drive Inn,Macadamia Nut Pie..shave Ice in north shore and shrimp wagons..Polynesian Cultural Center(look for deals) ..Rent a car and drive around on your own,...we like Oahu Revealed guide book...We LOVE Oahu but other islands are nice too..,.you just have to know where to look!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

Yes, 10 years every winter and part of spring in Honolulu. It is very expensive: a studio within walking distance to the beach, without parking, costs more than a designer house in TV. Many homeless, drugs and mentally ill. Areas to stay away from: Kahili, Chinatown, Waikiki not by the beach. Parts of Kuhio Ave in Waikiki are so dangerous the military will not let the soldiers go on leave there. Read The Star Advertiser to get an idea.
I loved the Ala Moana area. There are homeless but not so many, you need to walk on the right side of the Ala Wai canal.
I would love to live in Kailua, even in the smallest apartment. The life style is indescribable. WholeFoods has a lounge area in front of the store, a wine bar in the store, a poke bar etc etc Kailua beach just won the number one beach in the US. Much fewer homeless, many more billionaires in the double gated communities. You wouldn’t know. Their places are not garish, in your face, trying to “impress” you desperately as in some cities.
People try to live aloha. There is an amazing beauty that encompasses all living things....
There is a reason why Zukerman and Oprah live in Hawaii.
But then, they can afford it.

If you were considering buying, this is a good year. The house prices have stalled in some area, and condos are still expensive but there are many for sale. Last year was difficult for Hawaii, the rains in Kauai washed out entire roads, and houses, Kilauea volcano destroyed a large area on the Big Island including the Mayor’s vacation home, there were hurricane forecasted all summer for Oahu. The ocean is supposed to rise 3 m within 40 -60 years and that would put all of the Waikiki area under water....

You said visit. My first choice would be Kailua through Airbnb or VR** My second choice would be Ala Moana Area in Honolulu. And check out the North Shore.

Just read the above posts, I agree with all of them. The resorts are very expensive and tourist traps. My husband when he could come to Hawaii would take me to Prince Makena and Turtle Bay; 4 and 5 Star resorts. But on my own I lived as a student artist very happily and had to live quite humbly if I wanted to stay for 5 months at a time.

Last edited by Velvet; 05-24-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:47 PM
Default Where to rent

Hawaii Kai over by KoKohead is a good place to find a rental ..and it’s close to a lot of things. We lived there in the early 80’s and the house we sold on Mariners Ridge for 200K is over a million now! We go back and rent some condo’s closer to the water that are great...still have friends there..Its a special place.
We used to have all the kids birthday parties in Ala Moana park but a lot of homeless there now..too bad.
Closed Thread

Tags
book, house, rent, possibly, hotel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.