How has the pandemic changed your summer plans?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2 View Post
Had three cruises cancelled---March on Celebrity Edge--taking our son and daughter-in-law---April Carnival with my Aunt and uncle----NCL Alaska Cruise in August with my hubby. Still trying to make sure I get credits,refunds, etc., for these---not as easy as you think---cruise lines so backed up Missed our usual May trip to Kentucky visiting my 84 year old Aunt. Still planning on Virginia Trip middle of June---our son's birthday---have never missed being with him----just think we all have to decide for ourselves what we are willing to do---what we are willing to risk----just don't know where this virus is going to go---tomorrow-next week-next month-next year. We wear masks-to protect others, etc. and will take them with us because from what I have heard Virginia Governor is going to require these when in public---
Too many cruises are bad for your liver..and your girth.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Bought a new outboard motor for my Whaler, a couple new crab pots for those great Chesapeake Bay crabs, an extra oyster float and spat, new fishing line on my old reels, new dock chairs. Now I am ready to enjoy the quiet life on the bay.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 AM

My plans haven’t changed I’m here in The Villages! Not much happening, squares are empty except for the line dancers in LSL. Restaurants have no lines, that’s always a good thing. Will be venturing out to the pools today.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:39 AM

Our 33 day RV caravan trip to Yellowstone etc., scheduled for July was rescheduled to 2021. Still planning a couple of close to home RV trips. Booked at a lovely place in Panama City Beach for a week in July and a couple of days at a working farm that hosts RVs overnight. It will be good to get on the road again but of course safely.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

No changes for me. Heading up to Traverse City Mi. ….renting a house on the lake. Then later on to Branson, Mo.
Will be driving instead of flying because I enjoy driving. Will fly later this year.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranford61 View Post
Too many cruises are bad for your liver..and your girth.
A great way to see the world though. I am good about drinking moderately, eating is kind of another story.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todayscoolfacts View Post
At the start of this year, I had a trip planned at the end of the month to venture out west a bit. I imagine a lot of people have had their summer travels altered because of the pandemic, but I'm curious what you're doing instead of your original plans. Any local vacation spots that are worth checking out (and easy to practice social distancing)?Thanks!
Canceled a September cruise in the Baltic Sea. But that’s okay, since we’re new to TV I feel like I’m on vacation everyday. Also run up North occasionally.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 AM

So you bought a villa first to enjoy part-time, then built a full time home and sold your primary residence? That is the pathway we are considering. Any advice to share?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:21 AM

Missed a month in Turkey in April, will not be able to visit and stay with family on Manitulin Island in Canada, borders closed that was planned for June, won't be visiting family in Seattle in August either. Oh well. Better safe than sorry, hopefully God willing, there's always next year. Honestly, can't complain much, the Villages is such a great place to live.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

dramatically. We had air tickets to go coast<>coast to visit our kids(4)&grandkids(8).

Was to be Orlando>LA>Seatttle>St Louis>NH>Orlando over almost 3 weeks. Would have left June 4th. Had to cancel all, and good news - airline gave us total refund.

Perhaps will rebook for Fall, dependent on you-know-what. May have to postpone to next Spring - Fall may be too soon re air travel and young kids could be asymptomatic, we would not have to wear masks inside their homes... we'll see.

Will probably be a lot of 'staycations' in The Villages, which is AOK with us.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Reminder to self.

Reminder to self, check on the RV.
Since our spring and summer trips got cancelled we have been hanging around the house. Not boring since we have pool, books, tv, dvd's and other diversions. But, one day kind of slips into the next until here we are and summer is just around the corner.
Once we get the RV ready we may make a few short trips to Fla destinations (ie: Cedar Key, Jetty Park, Fort Myers, etc.). Kind of ease back into the swing of things.
And, yes, our masks will go with us along with our updated opinion of "personal space" because we don't know what we might encounter.
Enjoy your travels or your "stay-cation".
Old 05-27-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Not sure I’ll spend my usual 2 months in Boston, I’ll wait and see how things open there
Old 05-27-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todayscoolfacts View Post
At the start of this year, I had a trip planned at the end of the month to venture out west a bit. I imagine a lot of people have had their summer travels altered because of the pandemic, but I'm curious what you're doing instead of your original plans. Any local vacation spots that are worth checking out (and easy to practice social distancing)?Thanks!
We cancelled our yearly 3-month travel in our motorhome & tow car visiting friends, family & sightseeing (including family campground(Waddington, NY) in Northern NY for 2 months) and will spend time visiting campgrounds in Florida along with some other summer projects
Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

I was planning on getting my butt kicked all summer on this links course near Aberdeen Scotland.

getimageyb0p2825-gif-jpg

getimage-gif-jpg

oip-jpg

Maybe next year.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Plans changed dramatically. We are putting the final touches together with another couple friend for a Italy and Greece trip in the fall. Don’t want to miss out on the great deals out there right now. Love Italy and Greece has been a bucket list visit for sure. Can’t wait!!!

Scheduled for an Alaskan cruise early September (the last cruise of the season for Oceania). No changes to that.

Tags
plans, summer, pandemic, original, local

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.