I95 traffic jam in VA

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2022, 02:28 PM
Default I95 traffic jam in VA

Any Villagers stuck on I95 in the massive traffic jam? News saying folks stuck for 14+ hours due to disabled trucks and snow. What a nightmare.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Plenty of videos on YouTube. Many of these people will start looking at TV real estate
Old 01-04-2022, 07:15 PM

I am from that area. I lived there for 54 years. I've never saw anything like that happen before. We've had Ice and we've had snow, but never anything that shut down a federal highway.

Folks back home report that the spray they use on the roads couldn't be applied because of the rain preceding the dumping of snow. Therefore, there was no chemical to melt the snow and ice.

Folks also report that due to Covid, Flu, and Cold symptoms, almost half of VDOT was sick and out of work right before the storm. Perfect Storm of events, pardon the pun.

The governor and his ilk are a part of why I don't live there anymore.

Last thing, I checked Dominion Power this morning and the house I left in 2021 is without power today due to the storm.

Florida and TV ain't nowhere near perfect, but today, I'm really really glad I'm here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
the new Governor has not even been sworn in yet. It is the old outgoing governor's problem and he has failed miserably.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

I woke up, saw a dusting on the grass and decided to go in. I saw a half dozen patients, did a minor surgery. By 9:00, it was coming down, pretty good. The rest of the patients cancelled, so we saw who was already there, and we got outa' Dodge at ASAP.

It took me 2.5 hours to drive 15 miles home from my office in DC. I left at 10:00 am and got home after lunch...

I almost had to abandon my car twice, didn't see a single snowplow in DC.

Finally reached MD and it was clear sailing...

This morning, my streets were clear, but none of my staff could get out. I checked my answering service and everyone had cancelled, so I stayed home... Why not, making a living is overrated, right?

The bright side is that there are only 11 days until I'm back in my "happy place"...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-04-2022, 11:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

We spent Sunday night at a hotel in Winchester, VA with a plan to get up early and take 81 to 66 to 17 and connect with 95 south in Fredericksburg, VA on our way to the Villages. Once seeing the weather forecast we decided to sleep late and make the call on what to do late Monday morning after we had a better idea if the storm was living up to expectations. After evaluating our options Monday morning we scrapped the idea of cutting over to 95 in Fredericksburg and instead drove another 200 plus miles south on 81 and took 77 to 26 and hit 95 much further south in South Carolina. After learning what we missed by not cutting over to 95 in Fredericksburg we were VERY HAPPY we changed our travel plans. We still had to drive through lots of snow, but the traffic was light and the roads were in reasonably good shape. We only encountered one accident which slowed us down for a couple miles. Things could have been a lot worse and we are relieved to finally be at our Villages home until spring : (
Old 01-05-2022, 06:13 AM

We have traveled your last route for YEARS! We love it! Even when we vacationed in Hilton Head, I would take that route... avoided ALOT of hours waiting on 95...
Old 01-05-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Any Villagers stuck on I95 in the massive traffic jam? News saying folks stuck for 14+ hours due to disabled trucks and snow. What a nightmare.
I was almost stuck in it. Luckily my GOS told me to take a detour & I listened. What a nightmare it would have been.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We spent Sunday night at a hotel in Winchester, VA with a plan to get up early and take 81 to 66 to 17 and connect with 95 south in Fredericksburg, VA on our way to the Villages. Once seeing the weather forecast we decided to sleep late and make the call on what to do late Monday morning after we had a better idea if the storm was living up to expectations. After evaluating our options Monday morning we scrapped the idea of cutting over to 95 in Fredericksburg and instead drove another 200 plus miles south on 81 and took 77 to 26 and hit 95 much further south in South Carolina. After learning what we missed by not cutting over to 95 in Fredericksburg we were VERY HAPPY we changed our travel plans. We still had to drive through lots of snow, but the traffic was light and the roads were in reasonably good shape. We only encountered one accident which slowed us down for a couple miles. Things could have been a lot worse and we are relieved to finally be at our Villages home until spring : (
Virginia is beautiful in the summer and the landscape while driving is gorgeous. I spent two years in school there in the mid 60’s. Yes brother when it snowed everything seemed to come to a stop. Never seemed like they had enough equipment or personnel to clear the rolling hills. Glad you weren’t stuck in that mess.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:46 AM

Live in that area six months a year and traffic is horrible in that area to start with. House there has been without power for 48 hours now. Neighbors stuck with no power, heat and no way out.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:48 AM
Sage

Back on subject. I heard they had actually salted but it rained and washed most of it off then the rain froze and the snow came on top of it. The east coast or at least that area isn't equipped to deal with such storms as the northern states, mid-west and western states that have bad winters every year. Our daughter used to live in the D.C. area and if there was 2" of snow they'd close down everything. We're from the Upper Midwest---even there people don't drive accordingly, especially early in the season. I suspect all that traffic in this debacle was the usual stuff then add all the snowbirds "flying" south who got caught up in it. I agree---what a nightmare!! I don't know anything about their local government but not sure it was to blame.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:50 AM

Winter weather no doubt due to global warming.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
No - I was not stuck there- thank you for inquiring.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:57 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

I live in the rural Northern Neck of VA, not Northern VA. We looked at the weather forecast and somehow we figured best to stay home. Not sure what the problem is with our northern section of the state.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:00 AM

I was curious to find out if there were any people with electric vehicles who were stuck in this incident. Searched online for stories, but nothing.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:01 AM

Just think how much bigger the mess would have been with electric cars! Batteries out of juice sitting in traffic, no heat, no way to charge, major cleanup problem when weather issue cleared as no juice! Guess the tree huggers hadn’t thought that one through either.
Closed Thread

Tags
i95, jam, stuck, traffic, hours

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.