I95 traffic jam in VA

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2022, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny2403 View Post
Not sure I understand. An inaccurate statement was made by a partisan and a correction was offered. Had the statement been removed in real time, no responses would have occurred.
Not to defend the powers that be (we've had our own issues...), but they are not on the site, reading every single post "in real time"...

If it was only "a correction", I suspect all would be fine.

Unfortunately, many of the "corrections" also included counter political statements, which were just as problematic as the "incorrect political statement"...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-05-2022, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Prior to becoming a permanent resident, we always found I95 in the Fredricksburg area to be a pain even in nice weather!
Yup! Every time we come back North, that's where the sh!tshow starts...

But, it I'm not mistaken, this was I-95 SOUTH, which rarely is a big problem...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-05-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Yup! Every time we come back North, that's where the sh!tshow starts...

But, it I'm not mistaken, this was I-95 SOUTH, which rarely is a big problem...
My understanding is that it was I95 in both directions (north and south).
Old 01-05-2022, 05:45 PM
Default Buck Dharma Causing Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Winter weather no doubt due to global warming.
I read that Bucky’s solos have slowed the Earth’s rotation causing climate change. Buck’s Boogie is the main culprit! 😎
Old 01-05-2022, 06:52 PM

We live in south Stafford just north of Fredericksburg. We just had our power restored a few hours ago. Movers come Jan 25th to pack us up for our move the Village of Saint Catherine’s.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyStargazer View Post
YES, We were in the thick of it as we drove on Monday from The Villages to NoVa. We sat for hours on 95 packed between semi trucks, small cars, SUVs, and just watched 95 turn into an ice rink as the sun went down, and temps in the 20s. Luckily we were stuck near an exit ramp and noticed the ramp reopened after a few snow trucks plowed it from the overpass so we inched our way off 95 (took another hour just to get off the ramp). Then we drove side roads and found semi trucks jack-knifed, cars in ditches, and any gas station parking lot was packed with people sleeping in their cars. We turned around several times to find a clear passage until we discovered a little country road that would take us to Centreville, VA. We swerved around ditched cars, trucks, fallen trees on the roadway at 15 mph and 18 degrees F but made it home safely thanks to an expertly trained driver and good set of wheels. We left TV at 6am and got home at 4am here in VA. Usually it takes us 12 hours, this time it took us 22hours to make it home! More time was spent in the last 70 miles than in the previous 780 miles. It was exhausting, but we were lucky as most people couldn’t get off 95 and watched the sun rise and their gas tanks hit Empty in sub-zero temps. The whole scenario was out of an apocalyptic movie, except it wasn’t.
That sounds really bad. I'm glad that you were able to get off of 95 and back home safely. Those back roads must have been pretty treacherous. This is a reminder that I do not miss driving in the snow one bit!
Old 01-05-2022, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
My understanding is that it was I95 in both directions (north and south).
Well, whenever there's an accident on one side, the "Lookie Loos" cause a backup on the other side...

Just checked... Looks like it was only in one direction...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 01-06-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Any Villagers stuck on I95 in the massive traffic jam? News saying folks stuck for 14+ hours due to disabled trucks and snow. What a nightmare.
No - I was not there. Thanks for asking!
Old 01-06-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We spent Sunday night at a hotel in Winchester, VA with a plan to get up early and take 81 to 66 to 17 and connect with 95 south in Fredericksburg, VA on our way to the Villages. Once seeing the weather forecast we decided to sleep late and make the call on what to do late Monday morning after we had a better idea if the storm was living up to expectations. After evaluating our options Monday morning we scrapped the idea of cutting over to 95 in Fredericksburg and instead drove another 200 plus miles south on 81 and took 77 to 26 and hit 95 much further south in South Carolina. After learning what we missed by not cutting over to 95 in Fredericksburg we were VERY HAPPY we changed our travel plans. We still had to drive through lots of snow, but the traffic was light and the roads were in reasonably good shape. We only encountered one accident which slowed us down for a couple miles. Things could have been a lot worse and we are relieved to finally be at our Villages home until spring : (
Using 81 to 77 to 26 to 95, approximately how much more time would that add to the trip even on nice summer days? Looking for an alternate to get into central Pa from TV other than I-95 all the way. Not too fond of 95. Grueling !!!!
Old 01-06-2022, 07:42 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I wonder how many were in battery powered cars? Opps, need a plug.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Seeing the story on the news about the people stranded on the highway for a day in the snow got me wondering how long a car will idle on a tank of gas.

Turns our there is an easy way to estimate this for your car. You only need to know the displacement of your engine in L and the volume of you tank in gal. and the number .16.

Multiply your displacement by .16 to find out how many gallons your engine uses in an hour.

A 2L engine will use .32 gal/hr. Your 5.3L will use .85 gal/hr.

Divide the size of your tank by the rate to find the total run time for a full tank.

Multiply that by the percent your tank is full to find out how long.

My 1.5L car with a 14.8 gal tank will idle for over 60 hrs.
You could always just fill your car up, start it up and let it run for a couple of days.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:50 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyStargazer View Post
YES, We were in the thick of it as we drove on Monday from The Villages to NoVa. We sat for hours on 95 packed between semi trucks, small cars, SUVs, and just watched 95 turn into an ice rink as the sun went down, and temps in the 20s. Luckily we were stuck near an exit ramp and noticed the ramp reopened after a few snow trucks plowed it from the overpass so we inched our way off 95 (took another hour just to get off the ramp). Then we drove side roads and found semi trucks jack-knifed, cars in ditches, and any gas station parking lot was packed with people sleeping in their cars. We turned around several times to find a clear passage until we discovered a little country road that would take us to Centreville, VA. We swerved around ditched cars, trucks, fallen trees on the roadway at 15 mph and 18 degrees F but made it home safely thanks to an expertly trained driver and good set of wheels. We left TV at 6am and got home at 4am here in VA. Usually it takes us 12 hours, this time it took us 22hours to make it home! More time was spent in the last 70 miles than in the previous 780 miles. It was exhausting, but we were lucky as most people couldn’t get off 95 and watched the sun rise and their gas tanks hit Empty in sub-zero temps. The whole scenario was out of an apocalyptic movie, except it wasn’t.
Probably a lot of black ice involved. Traveled from Richmond to Charlottesville once and ran into a patch of black ice and cars were everywhere in ditches and tractor trailers jack knifed all along the way.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzurinko View Post
Using 81 to 77 to 26 to 95, approximately how much more time would that add to the trip even on nice summer days? Looking for an alternate to get into central Pa from TV other than I-95 all the way. Not too fond of 95. Grueling !!!!
We have gone both ways (81 to 66 to 17 to 95 in Fredericksburg and 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 in South Carolina) several times. The miles are so close it is literally a toss up time wise. The big factor is traffic. Traffic from accidents is unpredictable, but is typically worse on 95 (especially from Fredericksburg to south of Richmond) so I would give the 77 to 26 route the advantage there. Construction related traffic is the other major factor. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find out where currently ongoing construction is before you leave so you can plan your route accordingly. There are apps like waze that will tell you real time when you are approaching traffic, and suggest alternative routs around it, but they don’t show were construction is currently ongoing so you can plan your route in advance. We were planning on going the 66 to 17 to 95 in Fredericksburg on our trip earlier this week because the last couple times on 77 the construction around the Charlotte area caused major traffic delays. However, the storm made us adjust our plans an hour 77 to 26 to 95, and we were pleasantly surprised to find no construction or traffic on 77. I wish I could find a place that accurately publishes all current highway construction projects so we can choose our trip routs accordingly, but nothing seems to exist. I suspect the information is not made public because local areas undergoing construction don’t want travelers to know since the will avoid the area and not spend money on hotels, food, gas tax, etc… in their area?
Old 01-06-2022, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I got stuck in the blizzard of '78 on I195. I did find a hotel but didn't get home for a week. I didn't get my car back for a week after that. Fun times.
I remember ‘78 very well. I was working in downtown Providence, RI. I knew enough of the backroad thru some of the seedy areas and not a soul was on the road. I took every back street I could to get home. I made it and ironically enough I half way in the driveway and half way onto the street. I think all we did that week was party. Of course I was 26 at the time and partying was the priority.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:50 PM

We drove down from MA after our flight was canceled………. Missed it by about one hour.
Closed Thread

Tags
i95, jam, stuck, traffic, hours

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.