I95 traffic jam in VA

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2022, 09:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzurinko View Post
Using 81 to 77 to 26 to 95, approximately how much more time would that add to the trip even on nice summer days? Looking for an alternate to get into central Pa from TV other than I-95 all the way. Not too fond of 95. Grueling !!!!
If I were coming from Central PA, I wouldn't take any other route than 81 to 77 to 26 to 95.

I would sometimes go that way even though I lived in NJ and it added something like 60 miles. Now we only have family in South Jersey so I'm sorta stuck using 95 if we're traveling north to visit.

The biggest key to the DC area is to try to be through there on a Sunday if possible and after 10am and before 2pm on weekdays. Saturdays can be hit or miss but better than a weekday. If going through in the evening, after 8pm it calms down some, but I've hit jams at midnight, so always use WAZE.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:50 PM

Because of the storm, I delayed returning to Florida from South Jersey until Thursday night. I Left at midnight.

Found the roads were clear around DC and the traffic was very light. I used the 295 beltway rather then 495. I found pretty much the same thing through the Richmond, VA area, where there were flashing signs that read that the roads were being sprayed with de-icer and might be "slippery". The outside temperature was 39 degrees F. There were times when there were no head lights behind me and no tail lights in front of me for as far as I could see.

The only heavy traffic I experienced was at 4:00pm, in Ocala and South to Lady Lake, which took over an hour. I was able to maintain the speed limit + or -- 5mph throughout most of the trip. Police presence though out the entire trip was very very sparse.

Total driving time was 17 hours, including four stops to fuel the car, hit the men's room, walk and feed Tyler my dog (who slept most of the way) and buy coffee and a sandwich. I spent 20 minutes resting my eyes in a rest area at approximately 4am.

Until 5 years ago, when my wife was unable to make the trip because of her health, I drove from Florida to South Jersey and back twice a year for 24 years. This trip was undoubtedly the least stressful, with less traffic then any trip I have made. I am 88 years old and have eyesight corrected to 20/20 with glasses.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
snipped
I wish I could find a place that accurately publishes all current highway construction projects so we can choose our trip routs accordingly, but nothing seems to exist. I suspect the information is not made public because local areas undergoing construction don’t want travelers to know since the will avoid the area and not spend money on hotels, food, gas tax, etc… in their area?
Have you not used the I95 Exit Guide ps://www.i95exitguide.com and specifically I-95 Road Construction : I-95 Exit Guide

The section on Traffic often discusses current and upcoming construction work. We use that and each of the State DOT websites that usually list project work.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:01 PM

Several (well, more than several) years ago we hosted an exchange student from Switzerland. At the time we lived in SC PA. The entire time he was with us , he complained about how we’d never driven in a ‘real’ snowstorm. Until we were on our way back from visiting family in Ohio, on the infamous PA Turnpike, when the snow began to fall. It was one of the scariest nights of my life — and probably his as well: never made another comment about snowstorms and roads again.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

The situation that unfolded during last January’s storm was like never before. There have been several times in the past that a winter storm has caused tractor trailers to jackknife and close a major interstate, stranding thousands of vehicles overnight in the cold. The difference this time is that many of the vehicles stranded were EV’s. Trying to heat the stranded EV’s overnight rapidly drained their power sources. When they finally attempted to open the road it became close to impossible because it was littered and clogged up with dead EV’s. The stranded internal combustion engine vehicles still had plenty of fuel, but had to wait hours for the road blocking EV’s to be removed from the highway. Add that to the list of several reasons to not get one of those things.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
The situation that unfolded during last January’s storm was like never before. There have been several times in the past that a winter storm has caused tractor trailers to jackknife and close a major interstate, stranding thousands of vehicles overnight in the cold. The difference this time is that many of the vehicles stranded were EV’s. Trying to heat the stranded EV’s overnight rapidly drained their power sources. When they finally attempted to open the road it became close to impossible because it was littered and clogged up with dead EV’s. The stranded internal combustion engine vehicles still had plenty of fuel, but had to wait hours for the road blocking EV’s to be removed from the highway. Add that to the list of several reasons to not get one of those things.
Any source for that claim? I'm surprised something like that didn't make headlines on multiple papers.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-27-2022, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Any source for that claim? I'm surprised something like that didn't make headlines on multiple papers.
Does it fit the narrative of most news papers?
Old 03-27-2022, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Does it fit the narrative of most news papers?
While I disagree with what you are implying, even if it was true there would still be some that would report the facts. Yet I can find NO article that mentions EVs being a significant part of the cleanup.

One can dislike EVs for valid reasons but it really hurts the argument to make stuff up.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-27-2022, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Apparently, the EVs weren't the problem...

Please Wait... | Cloudflare.

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
i95, jam, stuck, traffic, hours

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.