Nags Head vs Duck, Outer Banks, NC

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Nags Head vs Duck, Outer Banks, NC

Want to do a family reunion in Outer Banks. Have never been there so looking for ideas on area to look at. One family has surfers, the other family has 9 and 13 year who want to do other things beside the beach (mini golf, water fun, go ****s, just stay busy). Of course, restaurant variety nearby. Can anyone recommend one area over another?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:41 AM
Veteran member

I’m instersted also.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

It's all good. Ocracoke is my favorite Island but if you stay in Nags Head, Kitty Hawk or Kill Devil Hills everyone will have more to do. Duck is the only area where beach sand is accreting rather than eroding last I heard. Duck may still be a quieter area. I don't know as I have not been there in a while.

Just check the various town sites, travel sites and so on. The Wright Brothers museum at Kitty Hawk is fantastic and contains a replica of their plane.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 AM

I've had much experience in the OBX from my teen years forward. Owned a house there for years, have done family reunions and just last year a wedding. Nags Head is busy, lots to do, plenty of recreational and dining options, movie theaters, etc but crowded during the height of the season. Duck is increasingly busy but nothing like Nags Head. The problem with Duck is the one way for access in and out can be very constricted. Beaches are less crowded but you fewer have fewer dining, etc options.

Just prior to and after the summer season are best times to go for rates and crowds. That said we had an incredible family reunion over a 4th of July week in Nags Head. My best advice is Pay for Oceanfront -- it's worth every dime!

Like anything else it's a matter of personal preference.

Good Luck....Tim
Old 07-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We go often.
We always stay in Carrolla, the northern most area of OBX.

Less crowded, nice beach areas, access to drive on beaches 15 minutes to the North.

Anything else one would want to do is one hour away to the South.

And for the most part the less busy area are only a two lane access. Part of the experience is speed limit 25 mph....and yes there will be someone going slower.
They are most likely a visitor like us, looking and enjoying.

We always remember we are retired. And retired on vacation.....what reason could there possibly be to be in a hurry.....
Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 AM

I am from the area and although here most of the time, I have a home in Nags Head. Based on the information you have provided and assuming this is your fist trip to the area, I would recommend the Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area and not because I have a home in Nags Head. With the kids, and even for the adults, there are numerous historical sites available to you in just a few minutes if you stay in the Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area and the entire family will enjoy the visit. Spring for the money to stay on the ocean, but here is a list of must do places to visit while your are there.

Visit the Wright Brothers site. Great museum and everyone will enjoy the visit.

Jockey Ridge State Park/Sand Dune Go late in the afternoon/sunset, sand too hot during day and climb the sand dune. You can turn kids loose and they can have a ball. take a large piece of cardboard for each kid and they can enjoy sliding down the sand. Great view. Also, they have a nice beach on the sound, where they have facilities, water is calm and you can walk far out in the water because it is shallow.

Take kids to Manteo to visit the NC State aquarium. Very nice.

Take kids to Manteo and visit the site of the Lost Colony. Very interesting and enjoyable. The Lost Colony show at night is very professional and entire family will really enjoy if it is playing during your visit. If not , still visit the site during the day.

While at Lost Colony, go next door and visit the Elizabethan Gardens. Beautiful casual walk and beautiful.

Take a day and travel to Cape Hatteras and visit the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and park. You can actually climb the lighthouse and the drive is beautiful. You can also stop on the way and visit the Bodie Island lighthouse. On the way back, if you time your visit to arrive back across the Oregon Inlet bridge around 4:30-5:00, stop by the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and watch the charter boats unload their catch and clean the fish. Kids will really like this.

Also, visit the Jeanettes Fishing pier in Nags Head. They have a bath house there, nice beach and pier is fun to visit and fish for small fee. It is actually a NC State Park.

Also, take a day trip and go to Duck and Corolla and check it out for future trips. Beautiful area and it is more secluded, but very nice. You can then make a decision if you want to go back and stay in that area.

As far as restaurants, there are a couple of do not misses. All are casual so shorts and T shirt is fine. Go to Tortugas on beach road in Nags Head for lunch or dinner, but expect a wait., Also, the best seafood restaurant by far is Blue Moon just past Jockeys Ridge. It is in a non descript strip shopping center, but do not let the looks or the wait discourage you. This is one of the best seafood restaurants you will have eaten at. Their daily specials on seafood are excellent. I have traveled all over the country eating at many fine restaurants and I have yet to find one better.

Another good restaurant for dinner is Colington Café, which is on the road just past the Wright Brothers Memorial and although small and reservations a must, can't get a bad meal here. Tables are tight, little loud, but food and price are excellent.

There are many other restaurants, but I just gave you where the locals go and stand by them.

Have fun on your visit.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

What an interesting and thorough review. Makes me want to plan a trip to NC.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:38 AM

Rent a house in Duck at Ship's Watch. You will love it.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Sorry, but forgot to address the surfers. I use to surf and the surfing in the Nags Head/KDH area is much better than the Duck/Corolla area. The beach flattens out in that area and you just do not get the waves like you get south. My nieces and nephews still surf a lot. Also, on the day trip to Cape Hatteras, definitely take their boards because the best surfing and waves along the entire east coast for consistency and size. Depending on weather, the surfing can be really good in the NH/KDH area. Cape Hatteras drive to excellent surfing approximately 50-60 minutes.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

thank you
Old 07-15-2018, 09:25 PM

Any beaches flat enough to ride a bike there? Dog friendly?
Closed Thread

Tags
family, area, banks, outer, fun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.