RVers need advice

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Gold member
Default RVers need advice

Hubby and I have always wanted to try an RV trip. We are going to rent one and try a short trip to see if we like it. If we do, are we too old to begin now?? He is 66. I am 62. Also tips for 1st timers??
Old 03-22-2015, 07:44 PM

You are not to old to enjoy the rv life style !
Been in the business 42 years and have loved every minute of it !
Let me know what concerns you may have...
Old 03-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Gold member

How old will you be next year if you DON'T try it ????
Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
how old will you be next year if you don't try it ????
67 & 63

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-23-2015, 06:39 AM
Sage

When you travel you will see folks well into their 80's RV'g
Having a trailer is a little more work hooking up backing up etc.

A motorhome or class C is easier
Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Gold member

We sold our home 10 years ago and lived in a 40 ft fifth wheel fulltime and loved it. We were still able to spend the summers up North with the family and the winters all over the South. We had to stop due to medical problems. One thing to remember when you buy your RV, whatever kind you buy, you will take a huge hit on it when you do sell it, especially if you buy it new. I would advise to only buy what you can afford to pay cash for. There are way too many used RVs out there that are upside down on their loans and forced to live in them.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 AM

We also sold our home about 5 years ago and lived full time in an RV for 4 years traveling throughout the entire US. Last year we found The Villages and decided to sell the RV and settle down here. Buying here was the best thing we could have done but selling the RV was one of the worst! After six months we decided to purchase a smaller, "vintage" RV that we could continue to use for vacations, family visits, etc. Once it is in your blood it is hard to settle down. I'll be the first to admit that the RV lifestyle is not for everyone but we happen to love it. By the way, we are 66 and 64 so the answer is no, you are certainly not to old. Renting an RV and trying it for a short trip is wise but will not give you the full experience. The most important thing to remember is that " It's all about the journey, not the destination". Enjoy the sites along the way and do not rush from one destination to the next.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 AM

There is an RV club in the villages. Go to a meeting and ask your questions. There may be questions you do not know you need to ask about also.
R.V. travel is different for everyone. Depends on how you want to use it. The kind you want to own etc. new R.V's have a lot of equipment that make it much easier to set up and use. Size does count and so does price in choosing one.
I will tell you, it does not save money over staying in motels during travel. However it is a lot more fun and you will meet very nice people along the way.
My wife and I have owned several different kinds over many years. We would be happy to share our knowledge and experiences with you. Send a note to me at gerrijerry@aol.com
Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Gold member

We are very excited over renting and are looking forward to this A few concerns would be safety , size that is comfortable and yet can get in all national parks, cost, expenses, insurance? I am confident the people will be very nice we meet and can't wait. If we decide we love it we'll post for purchasing advice. We are renting our first one through cruise america end of April a 25 ft
Old 03-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Location: East Alton, IL (near St. Louis, Mo), Duval, St. James and hopefully lastly Collier

Do you know if Cruise America will let you pull a car behnd the RV? If not, what will you do for tranortation when you get to each place to camp?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Gold member

I am not sure. Can't u get to most places with a 25 ft??
Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Gold member

Also another concern. Can u travel without a campsite reservation for ex if u want to travel or continue driving longer than expected one day? Or should we always have a site reserved? That would take entensive planning correct?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
We are very excited over renting and are looking forward to this A few concerns would be safety , size that is comfortable and yet can get in all national parks, cost, expenses, insurance? I am confident the people will be very nice we meet and can't wait. If we decide we love it we'll post for purchasing advice. We are renting our first one through cruise america end of April a 25 ft
I went to the Cruise America unit and drive it from Gainesville to Daytona Beach for an RV rally just to see if I liked it. I really liked it and so did my boxer Emma.
I am a single gal, About your age, and found it quite easy to handle.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
Also another concern. Can u travel without a campsite reservation for ex if u want to travel or continue driving longer than expected one day? Or should we always have a site reserved? That would take entensive planning correct?

When we are driving cross country and passing through we call ahead about an hour before we want to stop (usually around 6 PM so we can get set up and eat before it gets too late). Can usually get into the first RV park we call. If we are heading to desired location for a few days we will call ahead the day before.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage

We rarely make reservations, you can always find a spot.

We use Rvparky.com

In a pinch you have truck stops, cracker barrel and the most popular Walmarts, they sometimes have 25-50 rv's overnite.

I have a 39' never had an issue except a few state parks at 35' max (not 25' as stated above)

Figure average private campground $30-$35 a nite with full hookups, state parks $5-25

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.