Possible new international travel rules regarding Covid-19 testing

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2021, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Who should we believe?

Saw the Doc yesterday as a follow-up to my physical exam three weeks ago. He verified that I had antibodies from both my bout with COVID as well as from the vaccinations I had this past June. He said that the antibodies I had from the actual bout with COVID were by far the more powerful, and that "you could go to Africa now and let people breathe on you and be perfectly safe".
Whoa there Hoss, I wouldn't be booking that safari just yet:

1) Unless there is a new, commercially available antibody test that was released in the last 3 weeks, the "antibody test" only measures antibody to the original spike protein, but there may be as many as a dozen or more antibodies involved in conferring immunity.

2) And that does not take the new omicron variant into account, of which little is known (yet)

3) So far, the vaccines have been pretty good at preventing spread (although that fades as the people who got the vaccine first are losing immunity due to the time span, at least until more people get boosters), and pretty good at preventing serious illness or death, each new variant is an unknown vis a vis the vaccines are concerned.

4) Without being overly critical(), as a retired professor of Internal Medicine at a major NY university and Chief of Staff at a 400 bed hospital, IMHO(), the statement about Africa by your physician seems a bit reckless (put politely)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,651 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Whoa there Hoss, I wouldn't be booking that safari just yet:

1) Unless there is a new, commercially available antibody test that was released in the last 3 weeks, the "antibody test" only measures antibody to the original spike protein, but there may be as many as a dozen or more antibodies involved in conferring immunity.

2) And that does not take the new omicron variant into account, of which little is known (yet)

3) So far, the vaccines have been pretty good at preventing spread (although that fades as the people who got the vaccine first are losing immunity due to the time span, at least until more people get boosters), and pretty good at preventing serious illness or death, each new variant is an unknown vis a vis the vaccines are concerned.

4) Without being overly critical(), as a retired professor of Internal Medicine at a major NY university and Chief of Staff at a 400 bed hospital, IMHO(), the statement about Africa by your physician seems a bit reckless (put politely)
My thought is that the info. from Doc is a bit more reliable. With all due respect, he's not retired. His information may be a bit more current.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 12-01-2021 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-01-2021, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
My thought is that the info. from Doc is a bit more reliable. With all due respect, he's not retired. His information may be a bit more current.
I stated I was retired, not dead or stupid. I simply question the wisdom of telling a patient that he is so well protected that he can go to an area that has a newly discovered variant and have people breathe on him (Not to mention there are about a million other diseases you can get in Africa in that fashion).

PS. I believe my information is "current" as well, and it is possible through my academic colleagues that I have better sources than someone in a local practice.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

I’ll go with golfing eagles………
Old 12-01-2021, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Who should we believe?

Saw the Doc yesterday as a follow-up to my physical exam three weeks ago. He verified that I had antibodies from both my bout with COVID as well as from the vaccinations I had this past June. He said that the antibodies I had from the actual bout with COVID were by far the more powerful, and that "you could go to Africa now and let people breathe on you and be perfectly safe".
but now, that doesn't fit the narrative, does it? much better to leave msm on 24/7 ad nauseum to promote fear & control, as so stated. 1 of our doc's says: best way to fight the narrative" is to turn off the tv
Old 12-01-2021, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,651 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
but now, that doesn't fit the narrative, does it? much better to leave msm on 24/7 ad nauseum to promote fear & control, as so stated. 1 of our doc's says: best way to fight the narrative" is to turn off the tv
Agreed. Fear can cause people to do irrational things, and media in America are masters at fostering it.

Interesting too, how the medical community itself is split on this COVID thing. My daughter is a nurse back in Minnesota, and the Minnesota Nurses' Association, of which she is a member, voted this past September to adopt a NEUTRAL stance on COVID vaccines. In other words, take 'em or leave 'em. Anyone knowing Minnesota or having lived there at any time in the past 20-odd years would know that such a stance by such a large and influential group is akin to sacrilege but according to my daughter the consensus was pretty definite.

Kudos to them for not succumbing to the "narrative" pressure.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I’ll go with golfing eagles………
Where? To Africa?

-Tom Petty
Old 12-01-2021, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Where? To Africa?
Actually, we're sending you ahead as a scout/ survival course participant. And since it's pass/fail, it easier!
Old 12-01-2021, 04:55 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
"you could go to Africa now and let people breathe on you and be perfectly safe".
Just don't back into a door knob, you can catch many things.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, we're sending you ahead as a scout/ survival course participant. And since it's pass/fail, it easier!
I have my guidebook ready!

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 12-02-2021, 01:30 AM

The Xi variant of the Chinese flu was named Omricon because Moronic was too easy.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:39 AM

[QUOTE=golfing eagles;2035498]It ALWAYS starts with one case (patient zero), even the black death. The difference is that we have a proven way to mitigate the spread of this virus, yet 100 million adult Americans refuse to get vaccinated.[/QUOTE]
Correct. That, along with hundreds of thousands of immigrants who are not required to get tested or vaccinated, who are seeded throughout our country.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:59 AM

This is so simple …. If I’m in the tire business I’m going to say you need tires even if you don’t …. Nothing personal…..get it?
Old 12-02-2021, 07:15 AM

I regularly check my antibodies through a blood test at Quest and know my number/level. It’s still high after 9 months later from having Covid.
If Biden is putting such intense travel rules on us, would it be easier to just go to Mexico and cross over with zero tests or mandates? Have there been any more secret late night flights into Jacksonville bringing immigrants to Florida? Just joking….. but not really.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:19 AM
Default Really

You need to find a more creditable source than that pink rag Washington Compost
Closed Thread

Tags
travelers, officials, testing, u.s, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.