President suspends all travel from Europe

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage

Do you not know what Google is? With just a few key strokes you can find what you want to know without having to rely on this forum, which typically has wrong information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy@Pinellas View Post
No ban on people coming from China?????
Old 03-12-2020, 11:35 AM

US citizens and permanent residents exempt.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Wow. I can't imagine if I was in Europe right now and I couldn't get home for 30 days!!!
US citizens returning home are exempt. I assume that they will be tested when they arrive however.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:24 AM

If you're an American citizen, you can fly home. If you're an ethical American citizen you would self-quarantine for 14 days...and that would be the hardest part.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Wow. I can't imagine if I was in Europe right now and I couldn't get home for 30 days!!!
Are you not a U.S. citizen? They are exempt. The ban is also region specific.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Testing is for people with symptoms, and should not be on demand.
Of course there will be shortages if all the paranoids want a test.
It's an interesting quandry. You make a bold statement. Using your criteria:

If my husband becomes sick with COVID-19, and HE has to be quarantined until he's healthy again, and *I* am his caretaker, and have no symptoms yet - I shouldn't be allowed to be tested for it.

And since the test is what proves that I have the virus - I can go out, go shopping for my husband, have coffee with the girls, grab a bite to eat at the fast food joint, maybe take some time away from home while the husband is well enough to care for himself, and relax with a drink at the town square.

without a care in the world because you have no proof that I have the virus.

I would have zero responsibility if every single person I interacted with got sick - because you can't prove that I had the virus.

I'd say that's pretty faulty logic, wouldn't you?

There aren't enough tests to go around. There could have been more than there are now - and in fact other countries have been much more prepared than ours is. We are JUST now starting to prepare for something that has been a problem worldwide for around a month.

Saying who should and shouldn't be allowed to get tested, and calling anyone who is concerned "paranoid" is short-sighted. You know that cashier at the store you went to this past week, who took your money and handed you your change? She has the virus. But she wasn't tested because she had no symptoms.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:43 AM

That's not what was said, if you are a US citizen you can return, they might test you however.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:44 AM

Yes there is: U.S. citizens are not bound by this rule.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
It doesn’t apply to American citizens now Great Britain or Ireland.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:51 AM

The best FAQs as of today 3-13-20

14 Day Ban For All Non USA Residents Who Visited Schengen Area

The simplest way to look at this new US policy decreed by President Donald J. Trump is a mandatory 14 day waiting period for any non US citizen who has been inside the Schengen Area of the European Union, before they can enter the USA. It doesn’t matter if you’re European or any other nationality, just whether you’ve been there lately.

Schengen Zone Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

If you’ve visited other non-Schengen European countries, you’re ok, for now. For example, Ireland is a non-Schengen country, so travel between the US and Ireland should be exempt from the restriction.

Does the US-Europe travel ban effect all EU nationals?

Here’s the most important takeaway – it doesn’t matter if your passport is from a European Union Schengen Zone country or from Mars – all that matters is if you’v been in a Schengen Zone country lately. Obviously, citizens of Mars may face their own immigration issues.

If you are a New Zealander who was visiting Europe before a trip to the USA, you’re excluded, but if you’re a European who’s been in New Zealand for the last two weeks coming to the USA, you’re not.

How long will this Trump EU-USA travel ban last?

The travel ban takes effect Friday, March 13th 2020 and lasts for 30 days. By our math, that should mean an end date of April 11th/12th. That doesn’t mean the policy won’t be extended, or ended early. The administration has noted that it will review the situation as it evolves.

What this means is that anyone hoping to visit the USA in the next 30 days must be outside of the Schengen Zone of Europe for at least 14 days before they hope to enter, regardless where they’re from.

What defines a “US Permanent Resident”?

A permanent resident of the United States of America is typically defined as “green card” holder, which means you have the indefinite right to live and work in the USA. You do not need to be a US citizen, or even born on US soil to be a permanent resident.

This ban does not apply to permanent residents, aka people with green cards through work, family or other means, or US citizens holding US passports. You can read more on the distinction here.

the UK really not included in the ban?

For now, the United Kingdom is not facing any restriction for travel into the USA. If you haven’t been in the Schengen Zone of Europe and are in the UK, or will visit the UK, there’s nothing stopping you in either direction, other than the typical ESTA for entering the USA.

This does not however allow you to hop a flight from a Schengen country and then jump on a flight to the USA. As noted, all travelers must wait 14 days to enter the USA from their last day in a Schengen EU country.

Can American still travel to Europe?

Totally, but it’s not without challenges. Since airlines can’t transport any non permanent residents of the USA who have been in Schengen area countries to the USA, it’s more than likely that the vast majority of flights from Schengen European areas will be cancelled for the next 30 days. Beyond that, it’s anyone’s guess.

There’s nothing stopping an American from going to Europe and having an amazing trip, but if you’re making future plans, you may want to book the long haul flight to the UK, or via the UK and figure out the rest. Upon return in the US, there’s no mandatory quarantine for US citizens, but they can expect questions from CBP.

What if I have a booking and can’t travel now?

If a government is not allowing you to travel, it’s a completely different ball game than you deciding you don’t want to go by yourself. In circumstances such as this one, airlines should offer a full refund or at the very least, travel credit for the entire amount, without any change or cancellation fees.

Speak directly to the airline operating your flight or the hotel you’ve booked to sort out any changes or cancellations. If you’re cancelling a trip that’s not being hindered by a government mandate, it’s actually better to wait and see if better cancellation options pop up, than proactively cancel.

Isn’t there already a pandemic presence in the USA?

Yes, indeed. There are already quite a few cases in the United States, but the Trump administration notes that their response was better than any other country, so this is a move to prevent a further spread by all those other countries. You can make of that what you wish.

Since the move was done unilaterally, without consulting the European Union or other world groups, the European Commission voiced their disapproval of the measures in the media today and this may create the risk of retaliatory measures in Europe for US travelers.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's an interesting quandry. You make a bold statement. Using your criteria:

If my husband becomes sick with COVID-19, and HE has to be quarantined until he's healthy again, and *I* am his caretaker, and have no symptoms yet - I shouldn't be allowed to be tested for it.

And since the test is what proves that I have the virus - I can go out, go shopping for my husband, have coffee with the girls, grab a bite to eat at the fast food joint, maybe take some time away from home while the husband is well enough to care for himself, and relax with a drink at the town square.

without a care in the world because you have no proof that I have the virus.

I would have zero responsibility if every single person I interacted with got sick - because you can't prove that I had the virus.

I'd say that's pretty faulty logic, wouldn't you?

There aren't enough tests to go around. There could have been more than there are now - and in fact other countries have been much more prepared than ours is. We are JUST now starting to prepare for something that has been a problem worldwide for around a month.

Saying who should and shouldn't be allowed to get tested, and calling anyone who is concerned "paranoid" is short-sighted. You know that cashier at the store you went to this past week, who took your money and handed you your change? She has the virus. But she wasn't tested because she had no symptoms.

Good luck.
My point of view was that popping into the doctors for a test on the off chance you may have virus without any symptoms, would be waste of a test kit.
In your example, I would hope that you would isolate yourself whilst caring for your sick husband as a matter of course.
I would also think that a test for yourself would be obligatory in the circumstances you described.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:34 PM

The ban does not include US citizens returning to the US, it is only for European Union citizens.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

A travel agent I spoke to today said there's a move afoot where cruise lines and carriers may begin requiring people to show "Fit to Travel" documentation from their doctor. Anybody hear of or experience this? I have travel booked for dates after the bans are lifted and wonder what I'll be facing in terms of new restrictions.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,615 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Testing is for people with symptoms, and should not be on demand.
Of course there will be shortages if all the paranoids want a test.
I agree. So, you get tested today and it is negative. Suppose you want another test tomorrow?
Old 03-13-2020, 02:08 PM

CNN MSNBC. Not Fox
Closed Thread

Tags
europe, president, home, suspends, imagine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.