question for those who have traveled to DUBAI

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2019, 11:02 PM
Default question for those who have traveled to DUBAI

Does one need an electric power converter?

I assume one needs an outlet adapter.

Very much looking forward to this trip.

Any insights about Dubai are welcomed
Old 03-31-2019, 12:53 AM
Veteran member

Yes and yes, they are 220. Love Dubai, but I would check that your trip is not during Ramadan, many things close down all day every day, and no alcohol is served
Old 03-31-2019, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

I loved Dubai. The sky scrapers are amazing.

If you are taking the Metro remember the first car is for women and children only. Women are allowed in the rest of the train, but I found it much more comfortable to ride in the women’s car while my husband rode in the first men’s car. The cars are open to each other, so you can easily see him.

If you have time take a daytrip to see the Louvre in Abu Dabi. It is spectacular.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I loved Dubai. The sky scrapers are amazing.

If you are taking the Metro remember the first car is for women and children only. Women are allowed in the rest of the train, but I found it much more comfortable to ride in the women’s car while my husband rode in the first men’s car. The cars are open to each other, so you can easily see him.

If you have time take a daytrip to see the Louvre in Abu Dabi. It is spectacular.
Holy CROW.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Make sure you go "Dune Bashing". They take you out before sunset in an SUV and you ride over and around the dunes. Then you stop, lay down on the sand and see the most beautiful sky and stars when it gets dark. You then go to a camp and have a great meal, drinks (yes, visitors can drink alcohol) and entertainment. Make sure you also go to the gold market. The hotels are beautiful and the restaurants are fabulous. Not as strict as Saudi Arabia, but they do have some rules of behavior.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 AM

Thank you all for the useful tips and advise!

Can not wait to go to Dubai!
But not looking forward to the 15 hr flight......
Old 04-15-2019, 11:00 PM

We visited Dubai back in fall 2017, a stopover for a few days between Thaliland and Switzerland. Highly recommended!

Stay at a hotel with an executive floor if you can make your own arrangements. This will get you morning breakfast, and evening snacks and drinks. We stayed at the Marriott Al Jadaf which is away from the central core of Dubai and close to the airport. Book directly with Marriott, not a third party. Similar suggestions if you prefer Hilton or Sheraton. You'll find the slight premium for access is less than the cost of drinks and meals.

We used the AT&T daily international cellphone/data plan at $10/day. Much easier than worrying about free wifi or a local SIM.

We used Uber to get everywhere. Almost all were high end, air conditioned Lexus sedans. Much less expensive than a taxi, and more convenient.

Visit the Burg Khalifa, and sign up for the VIP entry. Only slightly more expensive, and a much more relaxed visit, and ability to see more. Be sure to take advantage of the photo service.

Visit the mall, and note the prices. Many luxury items available at prices lower than the US and Europe.

Visit a mosque.

Check out tripadvisor.com for best sites to see. Museums, mosques, spice market, gold market.

Be prepared for hot and dry weather. Be respectful.

Mike
Beaverton, OR (but posting this from India while on holiday)

PS we don't live in The Villages yet, but hope to, soon. Have family that lives there and friends nearby.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Closed Thread

Tags
dubai, forward, adapter, trip, welcomed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.