Rapid covid test for travel

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Default Rapid covid test for travel

My wife and I will be taking a cruise in two weeks and will of course need a covid test three days before. I would like to hear about your experience getting the results of your test. Where did you go, how long did it take to get results, what kind of test did you get, was there any problems?
Old 09-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Sage

If your cruise line accepts the Abbott Lab's quick antigen test then you can signup for a test at the following website. Results are by close of business that day, Mon through Fri only with signup the day before starting at 9:00AM until all slots are taken.

tvhcovidtest.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPete View Post
My wife and I will be taking a cruise in two weeks and will of course need a covid test three days before. I would like to hear about your experience getting the results of your test. Where did you go, how long did it take to get results, what kind of test did you get, was there any problems?
Old 09-02-2021, 06:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Your cruise line may require a PCR test - available at CVS drive-throughs, but have to make a reservation

Procedure was fiddly but straightforward and took about ten minutes per person

Got our results within 36 hours - they had said 24-48

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 09-03-2021 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,083 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
My experience with the rapid covid test happened at The Villages Healthcare, when I showed up for a scheduled appointment for lab work, that was scheduled the week prior during my routine yearly physical. I showed up with a minor head cold that I probably picked up waiting in line at an Ocala shopping mall for my 2nd Covid shot, 6' socially distanced from all the other mask-wearing patients and doctors (and 60% immune from Covid, due to my previous shot)

I tried to cancel the appointment, but they basically tricked me into taking that stupid test by telling me not to cancel, but just park at the side of the building and wait for the nurse practitioner, instead of coming into the building. I thought it was odd to take my blood in the parking lot, but nothing makes sense in "Covid World", so I followed instructions.

A lady came out and swabbed my mouth -- unlike the real Covid test I'd gotten the previous summer, where they painfully swab your brain with a Q-tip, via the nose.

It came back "positive" in 5 minutes. The sniffles were gone in two days. I never had a fever or loss of sense of smell, or any other Covid symptom beyond the sniffles.

The main thing you need to know about that test is that all other viruses known to man have been eradicated by Covid, so if you're the least bit sick, it's Covid. And, given the high false positivity rate of that test (and the federal payout for discovering a case of Covid), even if you aren't sick, it might be Covid.

How you bought the trip insurance!
Old 09-02-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

50/50 chance they are correct. My doctor's office closed a few weeks back because 2 workers tested positive with the quick test. Real test came back and only one tested positive. Back open in only a couple of days. Everybody is fine.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
You could have GOOGLED it
COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing at Walgreens
Medical laboratory
The Villages, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Tests limited to certain patients
Drive-through
CALL
Instructions: 1.) Complete a quick questionnaire. 2.) Choose a location and time for your COVID-19 test (based on the type of test you want). 3.) Go to the testing location and remain in your vehicle with the window rolled up. 4.) Show your confirmation email, a valid state ID or driver s license, and insurance card or voucher. 5.) Perform the nasal swab yourself under the direction of a pharmacy team member. Patients ages 3-18 will need a parent or legal guardian while they self-administer the COVID-19 test. 6.) Get results from PWNHealth.
More
The villages va
Medical clinic
The Villages, FL
Appointment required
Referral required
CALL
Instructions: VA offers coronavirus testing for Veterans who are enrolled in VA health care and meet CDC criteria for testing. If you are a Veteran with symptoms of COVID-19, call your VA health care team or your VA facility's advice nurse before going to any VA location. You can also send your VA provider a secure message through the My HealtheVet health management portal. To apply online for VA health care, visit VA.gov.
More
Pharmacy
2235 Parr Dr
Appointment required
Referral not required
Drive-through
CALL
Instructions: 1.) Complete a quick questionnaire. 2.) Choose a location and time for your COVID-19 test (based on the type of test you want). 3.) Go to the testing location and remain in your vehicle with the window rolled up. 4.) Show your confirmation email, a valid state ID or driver s license, and insurance card or voucher. 5.) Perform the nasal swab yourself under the direction of a pharmacy team member. Patients ages 3-18 will need a parent or legal guardian while they self-administer the COVID-19 test. 6.) Get results from PWNHealth.
More
CVS Pharmacy
Pharmacy
The Villages, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Testing for all patients
Drive-through
CALL
Instructions: CVS Health is conducting coronavirus testing (COVID-19) to qualifying patients. Get a rapid test for results within hours or a lab test for results within a few days. Test types vary by location. High demand may cause lab delays.
More
Walmart Drive Thru Testing
Medical laboratory
The Villages, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Testing for all patients
Drive-through
CALL
Pharmacy
The Villages, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Drive-through
CALL
More
Medical laboratory
The Villages, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Drive-through
CALL
More
Medical laboratory
The Villages, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Drive-through
CALL
More
CVS Pharmacy
Pharmacy
Summerfield, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Testing for all patients
Drive-through
CALL
Instructions: CVS Health is conducting coronavirus testing (COVID-19) to qualifying patients. Get a rapid test for results within hours or a lab test for results within a few days. Test types vary by location. High demand may cause lab delays.
More
CVS Pharmacy
Pharmacy
860 Avenida Central
Appointment required
Referral not required
Testing for all patients
Drive-through
CALL
More
Medical laboratory
890 US-441
Appointment required
Referral not required
Drive-through
CALL
More
Paramount Urgent Care - Lady Lake
Urgent care center
805 Co Rd 466
Appointment not required
Referral not required
Testing for all patients
CALL
Instructions: COVID-19 Tests covered for self-pay or insured patients, excluding Medicaid. Co-insurance may apply. Masks Required At All Locations
More
CVS Pharmacy
Pharmacy
Wildwood, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Testing for all patients
CALL
More
COVID-19 Drive-thru Testing at Walgreens
Pharmacy
Wildwood, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Drive-through
CALL
More
Medical laboratory
Leesburg, FL
Appointment required
Referral not required
Drive-through
CALL
Instructions: 1.) Complete a quick questionnaire. 2.) Choose a location and time for your COVID-
Old 09-02-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Princess Cruise Line requires PCR test for cruises through 10/31/21.
No pre-cruise test required for cruises after 10/31/21.
No mask requirement after 10/31/21.
Vaccination required through 12/31/21.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You did not say what cruise line you are sailing on but Carnival just changed there Covid testing to two days prior to sailing. More cruise lines may follow so keep abreast of the latest news. Hope you enjoy your cruise.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
If your cruise line is Princess they have partnered with Quest for Covid testing. The nearest location for testing is Fruitland Park.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Cruises floating Petri dishes before Covid, overeating, over drinking , rooms the size of phone booths, and pushed around like cattle on and off the boat what’s not to like
Old 09-03-2021, 05:08 AM
Veteran member

Traveling Covid hubs on the water.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:37 AM

We just returned from a Viking cruise around Iceland. We booked reservations on the CVS website two weeks in advance. Make your reservation now for the test within your 72-hour time frame. They fill up fast due to the increase in people traveling. We had the PCR test (free - they charge your insurance) and got the results back in 36 hours. This was a concern to us since we had to test over a weekend. As a back up plan, we drove to the DeLand Wellness Center in DeLand, FL and got a rapid antigen test. So, $50 and 15 minutes later, we had the back-up paperwork in hand just in case. Iceland allowed the rapid test if the PCR wasn't available. It really depends on your destination and their requirements. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-03-2021, 05:48 AM

I’ve gone to Paramount Urgent Care on 466. No appointment needed, but you may have to wait a bit for your turn. You walk up to the front, register, and then go back to your car and submit your info through your smart phone. Then you’ll receive a text or a phone call when they’re ready for you. Went very smoothly and had my results within an hour. I have to go back the next day to pick up a hard copy.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:56 AM

Frankly that long list of testing sites is not helpful. My experience is that they will only administer the PCR test, which is what is required for most travel, to those who have symptoms/referred by a doctor, note the term "qualified" - in other words, they will not do the test for travelling. And, the other challenge is being assured of getting the results within 72 hours. We had to go to the Orlando airport two days before travel, with an appointment, at a cost of $175 per person to get what was needed. Beth
Old 09-03-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Princess Cruise Line requires PCR test for cruises through 10/31/21.
No pre-cruise test required for cruises after 10/31/21.
No mask requirement after 10/31/21.
Vaccination required through 12/31/21.
I don’t know where you got your information from but Princess does requires a PCR or Antigen test 48 hours prior to your cruise. It was 72 hours but as of September 13 it is 48 hours. Those that are unvaccinated have to have a negative PCR test, fully vaccinated passengers can submit a negative rapid antigen test.
Closed Thread

Tags
test, results, covid, rapid, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.