Real ID.

Real ID.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Real ID.
  #1  
Old 03-28-2019, 07:43 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 39,832
Thanks: 199
Thanked 125 Times in 116 Posts
Question Real ID.

Is Your ID Approved for Travel? These Are the Latest Rules - The New York Times

Seems like FL air travelers will need one of these by some time in 2020?

Quote:
In the past several months, there has been plenty of conversation about the Real ID Act and how it will affect air travelers. Passed by Congress in 2005, the act is intended to prevent identity fraud, and starting on Oct. 1, 2020, all fliers who reside in the United States, even if they’re flying domestically, will need Real ID identification to pass through Transportation Security Administration security checkpoints at airports.

  #2  
Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 AM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.
Posts: 4,209
Thanks: 258
Thanked 94 Times in 61 Posts
Default

This mess is due to some states granting drivers' licenses to illegal aliens as drivers' licenses had historically been accepted as ID for domestic flights.. It has caused US citizens great inconvenience in time and money and even hardship in some cases.

I had to go back and pay more money for a Real ID driver's license after I had renewed my license without bringing my passport and other documents to the DMV. Since I fly so often I went ahead and obtained a passport card. Of course all this takes extra time and money. What a pain!
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-28-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 03-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Jazuela Jazuela is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,493
Thanks: 251
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Default

If you mean the Drivers' License that has the star imprinted on it, it was no inconvenience at all. The price was the same with or without the star, which indicates that the license is valid as a Federal ID. The SelectID program in Connecticut was implemented in 2011, and I got my "star license" when my last regular license expired a few years ago. Really not a big deal, and it's a great idea. In Connecticut, all I needed was this:
Two forms of identification - such as a birth certificate and/or a passport.
Proof of address
Proof of social security number
Proof of any name changes

Most people have most of this documentation already. It's pretty easy to get the rest of it. Birth certificates can be tricky if the town hall in your home of birth burned down before the advent of the internet and the records were lost, but birth certificates are necessary for a lot of things, not just federal ID cards so it's in your best interest to get one long before you actually need to present it to anyone.

Also no, it wasn't implemented to curtail "illegals with drivers' licenses." The law has been on the books since at -least- 2011, and was slated to become officially effective in 2017. All states had at least these 6 years to prepare for the law's full effect, and obviously they got a couple extra years because some states still aren't in compliance. This was a measure, if I recall correctly, as part of a very long, arduous overhaul to federal security in the wake of 9/11/2001. It was intended to streamline the process of getting properly-identified American citizens through airport security and enter Federal buildings, and for various commercial transactions.

Last edited by Jazuela; 03-28-2019 at 09:58 AM.
  #4  
Old 03-28-2019, 10:20 AM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
If you mean the Drivers' License that has the star imprinted on it, it was no inconvenience at all. The price was the same with or without the star, which indicates that the license is valid as a Federal ID. The SelectID program in Connecticut was implemented in 2011, and I got my "star license" when my last regular license expired a few years ago. Really not a big deal, and it's a great idea. In Connecticut, all I needed was this:
Two forms of identification - such as a birth certificate and/or a passport.
Proof of address
Proof of social security number
Proof of any name changes

Most people have most of this documentation already. It's pretty easy to get the rest of it. Birth certificates can be tricky if the town hall in your home of birth burned down before the advent of the internet and the records were lost, but birth certificates are necessary for a lot of things, not just federal ID cards so it's in your best interest to get one long before you actually need to present it to anyone.

Also no, it wasn't implemented to curtail "illegals with drivers' licenses." The law has been on the books since at -least- 2011, and was slated to become officially effective in 2017. All states had at least these 6 years to prepare for the law's full effect, and obviously they got a couple extra years because some states still aren't in compliance. This was a measure, if I recall correctly, as part of a very long, arduous overhaul to federal security in the wake of 9/11/2001. It was intended to streamline the process of getting properly-identified American citizens through airport security and enter Federal buildings, and for various commercial transactions.
Always great when someone pays attention and understands the facts and shares them. It still amazes me how some hear half the facts, make up the other half then post as if they are the truth. Thanks for posting and I also have the Real ID when I renewed my license, easy, no hassle. The passport card is also for Canada and Mexico only, anywhere else requires passport if you leave the Country.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #5  
Old 03-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Jazuela Jazuela is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,493
Thanks: 251
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Always great when someone pays attention and understands the facts and shares them. It still amazes me how some hear half the facts, make up the other half then post as if they are the truth. Thanks for posting and I also have the Real ID when I renewed my license, easy, no hassle. The passport card is also for Canada and Mexico only, anywhere else requires passport if you leave the Country.
My license doesn't serve as a passport card, but it's a valid form of Federal ID anywhere within the continent, Hawaii, Alaska, and US territories. I have a normal passport passbook for anything involving another country's border.
  #6  
Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 AM
birdiebill birdiebill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Osceola Hills
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

We moved to The Villages in the summer of 2016, becoming full-time Florida residents. We went to the DMV, surrendered our out of state driver's licenses and obtained Florida licenses. The Florida licenses at that time already met the Real ID requirement. I don't know when Florida began issuing Real ID type driver's licenses, but if a Florida resident renews their license or if a new Florida resident gets a new Florida license, it will meet Real ID requirements. Simple to obtain.

We also have passports that allow us to travel outside the US.
__________________
Indiana, Virginia, Vietnam, Tennessee, Indiana, Alabama, S. Korea, Georgia, Washington, Hawaii, Washington, Indiana, Osceola Hills
  #7  
Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Joeg180 Joeg180 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Village of McClure
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My Florida DL has the Star, I picked it up in January when I was registering a vehicle. I had my Social Security Card, Passport, DD-214, etc.
As explained by the very friendly DMV employee my Florida License, the license can't be used to cross a border, but can be used as a Federally recognized form of Identification.
  #8  
Old 03-28-2019, 01:04 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
My license doesn't serve as a passport card, but it's a valid form of Federal ID anywhere within the continent, Hawaii, Alaska, and US territories. I have a normal passport passbook for anything involving another country's border.
We had the passport card when we traveled back and forth to Canada, since moving to FL no longer have a need for the card. Just renewed by passport, maybe for the last time. Amazingly received it within 6 weeks. Inside the US the Real Id and TSA precheck will now make travel easy......no it won't, will still be a PITA but I can dream
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #9  
Old 03-28-2019, 01:50 PM
Jazuela Jazuela is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,493
Thanks: 251
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We had the passport card when we traveled back and forth to Canada, since moving to FL no longer have a need for the card. Just renewed by passport, maybe for the last time. Amazingly received it within 6 weeks. Inside the US the Real Id and TSA precheck will now make travel easy......no it won't, will still be a PITA but I can dream
TSA is only a headache in certain airports. Orlando was around 45 minutes, just in the TSA line. I was in and out of line at Bradley (Hartford CT) in just over 5 minutes. This doesn't include the couple minutes it takes to put your stuff on the conveyor and remember to take your belt off, and then the 10 minutes it takes to get all your stuff and put your clothes back on!
  #10  
Old 03-28-2019, 04:05 PM
thelegges thelegges is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval
Posts: 917
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Just renewed our passports and card for the third time. In Michigan everyone has to switch to the new DL by 2020, even if you are not due to renew. Not sure what they look like, but will see by the end of the year.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, travelers, air, real

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.