A beautiful Fall night in NYC

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ
Default A beautiful Fall night in NYC

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day in the lower Hudson valley. Late in the afternoon I suggest to the wife (NY Blondie) that we go to The City (translation - Manhattan Island). We drove down the Palisades Parkway and enjoy the Foliage ( leaves changing colors).

We crossed the George Washington Bridge and I remarked that traffic was very light, probably a result people staying home to discuss the upcoming presidential election. Any way we drove down the west side of Manhattan past the Intrepid Air and Sea museum toward our final destination, dinner in Chinatown.

We got a parking spot just north of Canal St. and walked eastward through throngs of tourists buying counterfeit handbags and Rolex watches. Weaving like an NFL running back we reached our dinner spot one of the last rice shops remaining in NY. The historic Wo Hop at 17 Mott St. We had a fabulous dinner of dishes only found in Chinatown. Full but not stuffed (with leftovers in a bag for our son who promised to walk the dog) we headed north to Little Italy for Cappuccino and desert.

Crossing Canal St at Mulberry we headed to La Bella Ferrara (not to be confused with Ferraras the tourist trap). Getting a sidewalk table we order our Cappuccino and Italian Pastry and mused about restaurants like Luna's (we had dinner there on our 2nd date a long time ago) were closed and gone. Then the topic of moving to the Villages came up and we talked about how much we were going to miss the spur of the moment trips to The City. We sat and talked and people watched till the wee hours (9PM). Walked back to our car for the journey north to Rockland County (45 minutes).

We have been doing this trip for over 35 years, the names of the restaurants have changed. The sights and sounds of NYC have varied but the companion and conversation has always been excellent.

Anyway that's how we spent our Saturday night, what did you do?

MZ
Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Smile

Mel,
So sad to hear Luna closed..My father was Anna's Attorney, the old woman that owned it..
I can remember her sitting at the corner round table peeling the huge bowl of garlic every day! I loved their food..I guess all good things must come to an end..
La Bella Ferrara is the best, I spent many nights sitting outside watching all the tourists go by..My sister was best friends with the owners daughter, she used to bring us pasteries every day..That was a pleasure! lol

I too miss the city, the great food and the happy memories..
Hope to see you guys soon!

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Gold member

Beautifully written MelZ and made me think I was reading "3 Perfect Days in..." which is in the monthly magazine that United Airlines places into the seatbacks of it's aircraft.

After being gone from NY for 25 years in Colorado and Arizona and returning only temporarily (5 months) before relocating to The Villages next month, I had forgotten just how wonderful the weather is here in October. I had to laugh, however, when I saw the young people in the park in shorts and t-shirts while my Arizona blood demanded that I have on a sweater and jeans.

Great weather and a great post by you; I only wish it was a longer read.

... oh, and by the way, I did see that the USS INTREPID has returned after it's renovations and I've been thinking of the days that I "enjoyed?" while stationed on that vessel back around 1970 or thereabouts.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Veteran member
Default My hometown !

AWwwwwwwww.... you guys are making me homesick
Old 10-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

On Saturday I rested. However, on Friday, Sailor (husband) and I drove from Staten Island, (that is just across the Hudson from THE CITY) TO Pennsylvania to watch our two youngest grandsons play fall ball. Of course as much as I love the grandkids and baseball, my heart just sings to see the foliage change.. Pa. was just gorgeous with red yellow and golden trees. This is a fix I must get every fall.

MelZ, your trip to the City brought back many memories for me. I was born and lived on Mulberry St. My family moved to Brooklyn in the late 1940's, and we used to go back and vist family every weekend. Oh my do I miss the real Chinese food from lower Manhattan.

I took some pictures of the USS Intrepid, (Sailor is a Navy man), while it was being repaired here on Staten Island.

Thank you for your beautifully written post.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Remember Little Italy in the 60's standing on line at Luna's in the kitchen, the wonderful smell of garlic, olive oil and tomato. The owner would bring us bread to eat while we waited to be seated. Going to Puglia's for family style eating, the red wine with fruit (who needed dessert) and the family planing a mandolin and singing Italian songs to serenade the diners.

Remember China Town with Hong Fat, Sum Hey the famous rice shops used in Woody Allen movies. The Lime house (the only Italian rest. in Chinatown) on the corner of Bayard and Mott where I learned about "Hot Shrimp and Calamari".

The stories we could share, funny how a good Saturday date (with my wife) brings back a flood of memories.

We have to get together to share them

CIB: That's why some of us Snowbird to have the best of both worlds
Donna: Seems like we continue to have much in common besides being neighbors

Tkret: Thanks for your service on that grand lady

Shirleevee: I epxect to take the grandkids to visit the Intrepid in the spring and will post pictures.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Platinum member

I'm flying into the city this morning for the week (will miss Crispers - darn!). Thanks for the good suggestions of things to do. One of my projects is close to Chinatown and Mott Street. I like the Hells Kitchen area for restaurants on Ninth Ave. Just walk up and down the street and read the menus - ate at a wonderful Chilean restaurant two weeks ago. I love going to the city but find that I really look forward to the new experience of coming home to The Villages.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I'm flying into the city this morning for the week (will miss Crispers - darn!). Thanks for the good suggestions of things to do. One of my projects is close to Chinatown and Mott Street. I like the Hells Kitchen area for restaurants on Ninth Ave. Just walk up and down the street and read the menus - ate at a wonderful Chilean restaurant two weeks ago. I love going to the city but find that I really look forward to the new experience of coming home to The Villages.
Why is it my tres chic JoJo, that you LOOK like you never eat at all?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Smile Beautiful Time in Western NY

I wish everybody in the world could see Fredonia, NY now!!! The bright red, orange,yellow and green trees mixing with various shades of overgrown mums. Sun shining on trees, fields of pumpkins. water falls, and rolling hills. Squirrels running all over and Canadian geese flying in V overhead honking away. The smell of grapes in the air as they are harvested. Sip some homemade hot spiced cider at one of our apple farms. Truly -if anyone is coming this direction, pm me as I can head you towards parks on hill tops that will let you see 20 miles. We also have a trail of wineries where the tasting is free.! Many state parks in this area. If you have never been to this area, plan a trip!! Life is beautiful.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Sage
Default autumn is just incredible!

Your so right Bestmom, Upstate N.Y. is absolutely gorgeous at the moment! The leaves are incredible colors, your description of fall was right on. The temps are perfect, not too hot or cold. I am so glad Im here to enjoy it, but we all know that very soon this will all change and it will get pretty ugly. Arent we the lucky ducks to have The Villages to head down to and spirits will soar again!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Smile Lucky

We have the best of both worlds! Winter in upsate NY is pretty for about 3 days!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 AM

That sounds so beautiful!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Sage

I remember eating at the "Luna" restaurant many years ago and their was an elderly lady washing Italian Spinach in the colander. I know the word for Italian Spinach but I'll be darned to be able to spell it. I say elderly as she appeared to be in her late eighty's. I knew right then, the food would be good and it was.

Sorry to hear such a nice restaurant is no longer in existence.

Nice post MelZ.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.