Italy

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Italy

Would like to plan a trip to Italy?
Any recommendations on tour groups to consider? Travel agents? etc.
Would like to spend a few days in Rome, then rest of trip if flexible.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Sage

VBT

Biking and Walking Tours: Travel with Local Guides Worldwide. VBT Vacations.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Have Fun

A couple of ideas. There is a little resturant overlooking the "Spanish Steps" and it is fun to have lunch and watch the people. The On and Off bus in
Rome is perfect to see the city and not spend a fortune on taxi's. If you are going to drive a good trip is to Florence and then to Milan and over to Venice. If you want to land for a few days it would be fun to rent a Vila in Tuscany for a week. You can get some at a very reasonable rate and then tour the area and the hill towns. Another great trip (maybe take a tour) is of the Almalfi coast. It is beautiful and quite a trip. Be sure to buy a map of Rome in Barnes and Nobel and study the city before you go there. We always got a kick out of watching or hearing tourist's stand on a corner, etc and try to decide what to do next. All of that planning (sites to see, best way to travel, tours) should be done before getting on the plane. Just some ideas..
I know you'll have a great time and trip..
Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Sage

My wife and I went on a Tuscany tour in November with Legendary Journeys tour company. DO NOT USE THEM.

Legendary Journeys advertises a cheap rate but then so many add-ons to make your head spin. For example, if you want to be at the same hotel as another couple, $49 per person; if you want to be on the same flight as another couple, $49 per person; hotels are generally 1 or 2 star tourist hotels but they "strongly recommend" upgrading at a cost of $150 and up.

The Legendary Journey hostesses on the tour were not friendly nor helpful but just wanted to sell more optional tours. The optional tours are totally non-refundable, too. In November, Italy had some heavy rain and flooding. Some tours were cancelled due to weather - no refund. At one ship port, the ship cancelled the port due to weather - no refund for those tours.

We did have a very nice hotel in Rome called Guilio Caesar. It was a small hotel located about 15 minute walk from St. Peters.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran member
Default Italy

We did an Insight Tour of Italy several years ago.

It was fantastic!

We visited Rome, Assissi, Venice, Florence, Pompey, Capri, Amalfi coast, Pisa,Tuscany and back to Rome. Had great hotel rooms and a few dinners included.

It was also very reasonable.

Our trip was 11 days.

Have fun!!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

We did it all on our own. Rented a Villa in Tuscany, spent time in Florence, Venice, Lucca, and Rome and had a great vacation. We will go back and rent another Villa, probably closer to the East coast this time around as we were near San Casiano this trip. One really great event we did was hire a chef to come to the Villa and do dinner for 10 of us as a teaching class.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Default Italy

My husband and I went on our own for two weeks and preferred that to a tour. We booked hotels off the internet and they were lovely and reasonable. We stayed in Rome, Capri and Florence. We used the train. It was easy and everyone spoke English. No issues. I would sugges Rick Steves Italy tour book - he has lots of information and current rates etc. All the sights were either free or under ten dollars. Our hotel in Florence set us up with a one day tour of Tuscany. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Sage

Is train travel a good option to tour the country? In other words, can you hit the highlights just using trains or do you have to rent a car?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Gold member
Default Borghese

Be sure to look up info on the Borghese (Borghesi)? Museum in Rome. Fabulous sculpture museum, we thought. Limited number of tickets available each day. When we went about 6-7 yrs ago, you had to make reservations prior to your visit via internet a couple of weeks before.

Tickets were free (not sure if they still are), and I think you could then rent an audio guide in English - well worth it. We walked to it from our hotel, thru a large park, and then maybe walked to the Spanish Steps after, but I am not 100% sure I am remembering this correctly. Get a good guide book to Rome well ahead of time to make sure you are seeing the things you don't want to miss.

Personally, I felt like I could have missed the Sistene Chapel (felt herded thru) but could have spent more time in St. Peter's Basilica. We also did a one day tour of the Amalfi coast and loved it. Would not want to be doing the driving there or in any Italian city. Small town to small town driving would probably be ok.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Check out the Rick Steve's website. (Rick Steves Europe: Tours, Trip Planning, Travel Guides & Information) - Lots of information about travel, accomodations, attractions and food. He also has downloadable audio tour guides which you can play on an ipod. We did Italy in 2009 on our own and had a geat time. Don't be afraid to try it - the Italian people are wonderful. (almost as nice as Villagers) However, be sure to protect your valuables - pickpockets are rampant!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Now OHIOGIRL driving in Italy is great. I really liked it and fit right in with all the local crazies. I got a ticket in Florence for driving in an area where I didn't have some special sticker. They kept sending me letters wanting 160 euro's fine for doing it. I kept writing deceased on it and sending it back. Now we want to go back and I want to rent another car. I wonder how long the statue of limitations are on that crime?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Now OHIOGIRL driving in Italy is great. I really liked it and fit right in with all the local crazies. I got a ticket in Florence for driving in an area where I didn't have some special sticker. They kept sending me letters wanting 160 euro's fine for doing it. I kept writing deceased on it and sending it back. Now we want to go back and I want to rent another car. I wonder how long the statue of limitations are on that crime?
I hope you didn't specify "I'm deceased!"
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post

Personally, I felt like I could have missed the Sistene Chapel (felt herded thru) but could have spent more time in St. Peter's Basilica.

I didn't even see the pointy finger on the ceiling!

We followed the advise of our tour host and sat on the chairs on the back right side. The vast majority of tourists are lead out the doors on the back left. The doors on the back right are for special tour groups and get you directly into St. Peter's - if you can manage to sneak in with a group you can miss standing for hours with the riffraff waiting to get in from St. Peter's Square.

Remember to take extra batteries for your camera flash. I wouldn't let my wife spend 5 Euro for two AA batteries as we were going into the Vatican Museum and our batteries died half way thru the Basilica. Now we have to go back with fresh batteries.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Bob, I know you're not going to see this place since it's pictures of my great grandfather's grave and the home he owned in Morolo IT. (about 25 miles south-east of Rome) My cousin from Texas was there last year and sent me the pictures. I thought you and others might like to take a look see anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	italy 2010 226.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1766   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	italy 2010 199.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1767  
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Default Travel in Italy

We did Italy on our own. Rented a car and did Eastern Italy and Tuscany, which was fine in the car. Easier to get to see the area. But I would not suggest driving in Rome...the traffic is crazy there. We loved the sights in Rome, but found it very crowded and noisy. We took a train from Rome to Venice. A very nice peaceful scenic trip, with a great lunch on board the train. The only problem was that when we were trying to load our suitcases on the train, a nice man asked if he could help my husband lift one of the suitcases....than he ran like hell. But my husband is pretty athletic and he wrestled the suitcase away from him. We had bought a long cord with lock with us, so we tied our suitcases together so no one could sleal them from the front of the train. Venice is wonderful. Can't say enough wonderful things about it - it s so different and beautiful. Just hope for good weather, because it can be miserable in the rain, if it floods. Then we went to the Lake Como area. Very nice area. We took a small boat from there to Bellagio - a very quaint, scenic town on a hill. Very charming. On prior trips, we've been to the Isle of Capri - wonderful scenery and ocean views. There is a tour that you can take that takes you to underground caverns by boat - a must do.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.