Princess Cruise Disappoinments

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2018, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Cruising

I thought I should pass on my opinion that if you are planning a cruise and it includes the "Princess Lines" you may want to avoid the Crown Princess and the other ships in this category. We have spent at least 60 days on the Crown within the last couple of years and it is clear that Princess is cutting back on what they are providing for this class of ship. In the last cruise (25 days) the food was below par, the entertainment, in particular in the piazza was nearly non existent as it was terribly below par and the cabins left things to be corrected. Not sure we would use Princess again but defniitely not a ship in the "Crown" class.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

We agree. Having taken about 40 cruises, many of them Princess, we are, quite regrettably, no longer fans of theirs. It seems to us that they have entered the mass market and no longer care very much about pleasing repeat cruisers. It is really too bad as we enjoyed our earlier experiences with Princess. In our latest experience, the cabin we had chosen well in advance, was given away to someone else. When we boarded the ship and went to our room, our names were still on the door! Nonetheless, our key would not open the door and we were told that it was no longer our cabin. This was a back to back cruise, and we lost that room for both segments!

Last edited by Spikearoni; 12-24-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
In our latest experience, the cabin we had chosen well in advance, was given away to someone else. When we boarded the ship and went to our room, our names were still on the door! Nonetheless, our key would not open the door and we were told that it was no longer our cabin. This was a back to back cruise, and we lost that room for both segments!
Were you given any reason for the room change? Did you talk to the folks at Customer Service OR did you call your travel agent and ask him/her to investigate? I'm curious what kind of situation would warrant a room change at the last minute.

kathy
Old 12-24-2018, 04:39 PM

Having been on over 40 cruises we decided to try the new MSC Seaside Yacht Club. We sailed on her twice now and are completely spoiled having the front of the ship, pools, dining room, and lounge exclusively for about 50 cabins including a butler. Pricey but well worth it. They call it a ship within a ship.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcolli View Post
Having been on over 40 cruises we decided to try the new MSC Seaside Yacht Club. We sailed on her twice now and are completely spoiled having the front of the ship, pools, dining room, and lounge exclusively for about 50 cabins including a butler. Pricey but well worth it. They call it a ship within a ship.
NCL has something similar on some of their ships. They call it The Haven. Haven't tried it yet. I'm afraid to because it might be difficult to go back to "slumming" in a regular cabin after that.

We have sailed on most of the mainstream lines but haven't tried MSC yet. So many ships to try ...

k.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Default crusing

Try Oceania and/or Azamara for excellent cruise lines.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down So Glad

I am so glad to hear others have had problems with Princess. I did not include it in my note but the entertainment in the Piazza for all 25 days was an older guy on an According, another older guy on a guitar and a young girl on a violin. This was an insult to all who signed up for the 25 days. There was no shortage for Princess Employees trying to sell liquor, pictures, bingo special restaurants, etc etc. We always liked Princess but this was over the top in abusing passengers/clients. There is a cross over point called "Price Elasticity". It is when the price exceeds what is being given. This has blown that out of the sky. Sad..
Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Princess Cruise Disappoinments

We had been regular customers on Princess Cruises and have used them extensively. The last 2 have been terrible and we will never use them again. We are not new to the Line or crusing. As an example our last 3 cruises with them add up to 80+Sea Days.The last one was so bad and their attitude so bad that it woke us up to what a passenger could expect if there was a problem. Our reason for this is not based on a minor disappointment but rather a broad set of circumstances.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:03 PM

What are the details of your disappointment?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We had been regular customers on Princess Cruises and have used them extensively. The last 2 have been terrible and we will never use them again. We are not new to the Line or crusing. As an example our last 3 cruises with them add up to 80+Sea Days.The last one was so bad and their attitude so bad that it woke us up to what a passenger could expect if there was a problem. Our reason for this is not based on a minor disappointment but rather a broad set of circumstances.
Wasn't this already covered? https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...uising-280588/

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Don't Recall

Kenswing: Since this is the first note I have sent in awhile I doubt it has been covered.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Kenswing: Since this is the first note I have sent in awhile I doubt it has been covered.
Sorry. It must be a different PennBF

From the post you made on 12/24..

Quote:
I thought I should pass on my opinion that if you are planning a cruise and it includes the "Princess Lines" you may want to avoid the Crown Princess and the other ships in this category. We have spent at least 60 days on the Crown within the last couple of years and it is clear that Princess is cutting back on what they are providing for this class of ship. In the last cruise (25 days) the food was below par, the entertainment, in particular in the piazza was nearly non existent as it was terribly below par and the cabins left things to be corrected. Not sure we would use Princess again but defniitely not a ship in the "Crown" class.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Bad cruises

Quote:
RESPONSE : Yes, we gave up on Princess, we used to like the cruise line, no more, none.
For example, two years ago, they modified the strem area of the shop, just hacked away and then added a lot of cabins. So, that put a lot of space for new persons,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT the facilities did not change, buffet and showroom. etc. Really sad, nowadays, the extreme urge to make another dollar and then do something really stupid, maybe the young MBAs that have been doing too many video games, too much smoking pot, too much goofing off for now. No more Princess for us or our friends.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Sage

What ships are in the Crown Class of Princess? We are not avid cruisers, and we haven't been on an ocean liner since 2010. However, as we get older and things happen healthwise, other forms of travel are currently denied to us. We just returned from a short cruise on the "Regal Princess," one of the newer ships. I had never been on a boat that size (3,560 passengers) and was prepared not to like it but did like it. We loved the entertainment, especially the Princess dancers and singers. We thought the food was good. As far as the cabin, everything worked and the cabin steward was very attentive. We didn't care about the destinations, having been there before.

Maybe Princess has changed for the worse. I do think they could be more subtle in their push to sell services to the passengers. I visited the Lotus Spa one time and was upset in the blatant attempt to sell overpriced lotions and potions and the employee's request that I tip her beyond the gratuity listed for the service. I think the drink package at $69 per day is ridiculous, at least for the senior crowd.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:05 PM

We have cruised with Princess eleven times--on the Diamond, the Saphhire, the Ruby, the Coral, the Caribbean, the Royal and the Regal Princess. Our last six cruises have been on either the Royal or the Regal, which we like better than the others. While the "newness" of cruising has worn off, we still look forward to the leisurely time spent with new and old friends on board. Familiarity sometimes breeds boredom with the same activities and menus, but we still enjoy our Princess cruises. We will spend 21 days on the Regal Princess in 2019 and we hope we still enjoy Princess after each of them.

As far as Princess trying to nickel and dime passengers, we learned a long time ago, that we can ignore all the extra attempts to part us with our money. We don't need drink packages, souvenirs, photos, the sanctuary, the specialty restaurants, nor do we need most excursions.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.