RVers need advice

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage

KOA $45 +/- (they are usually a family destination and have more amenities)

Passport America members 1/2 price if you can find one.

Florida State Parks are usually very nice and Fla seniors get a 50% discount.

Truck stops, Cracker Barrels or Walmarts are too noisy and not very safe.

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Raton Pass.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	49336  
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Gold member

Last post said Walmart not very safe? I am a bit worried about safety. If u are traveling through states that do not allow u to carry a weapon what would u use to protect itself if God forbid someone tried to break in??
Old 03-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Gold member

I am a bit worried about safety. If your traveling through a state that does not allow weapons what would u do if God forbid someone tried to break into ur rv??
Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Sage

call 911

grab a butcher knife

use wasp/pepper spray

scream

etc

Walmart might be a bit safer than a truck stop or a Cracker Barrel that closes at 10 PM or so.

We planed on staying in a Walmart a couple years ago and it took checking out three Walmarts before one looked ok to stay, at 11 PM. We left at 4 AM.

On the flip side - we always stop at Walmarts to get off the road for a few minutes, buy some food, use their bathrooms (always in the front of the store and usually fairly clean), walk around the aisles for exercise, buy gas at Murphy's if they have one; Murphy's usually has the cheapest gas in town. But staying overnight isn't a good idea. They sell a Rand McNally road map that locates all the Walmarts in the country and also indicates if the store allows overnight RVs.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
67 & 63
You smarta$$!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
Hubby and I have always wanted to try an RV trip. We are going to rent one and try a short trip to see if we like it. If we do, are we too old to begin now?? He is 66. I am 62. Also tips for 1st timers??
We are 69 & 65 and have been traveling in a motorhome for over 20 years during which we have met lots of people in their 70's & 80's still going strong. We used a 26 footer for many years and carried bicycles to get around if we didn't want to drive. With the 26 footer we could almost always find a place to park to shop or sightsee. The only time we ever make reservations is if we are visiting a popular tourist area in the high ( generally when schools are out ) season. We moved up to a 36 footer to go full time on the road several years ago and started to tow a car to augment the bicycles.
Definitely try it to see if you like it before buying something.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
KOA $45 +/- (they are usually a family destination and have more amenities)

Passport America members 1/2 price if you can find one.

Florida State Parks are usually very nice and Fla seniors get a 50% discount.

Passport America and most other discount clubs have pretty much gone to the wayside. I agree it is best to stay out of the Walmart and other parking lots. It's just not safe anymore. Go to a KOA and get their free book. If you stay in KOA,s, there are incentives and discounts if you belong. (Inexpensive to get the KOA card).
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Gold member

Definitely appreciating the straight forward answers as I am trying to learn from experienced rv'ers. Will avoid walmarts as mentioned previously but still looking for honest answer on security concerns
Old 03-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Send a message via AIM to vitacr

We've bought & sold 3 RV's in the last 4 years - currently have a 26' travel trailer & we look forward to long weekends usually once a month. Mostly we travel 2-3 hrs for a 3 night trip. We bought & sold only "used" RV's using this site, Ocala4sale. Villages4sale & Craigslist. We always sold for more than we paid. If you like it, we suggest you join Passport America where you get 50% off RV parks nationwide. We rarely pay more than $25 a night. Most parks offer activities, WiFi, Cable, pool, etc. All state parks give seniors 50% off. The coastal RV parks fill up fast with "seasonal folks" in "season" Glad you're giving it a chance - Mainly, have fun.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:02 PM

We've been RVing for 12+ years and love it. You can do a lot of touring with a 25' but having to break camp every time you want to see a sight or make a grocery run is very problematic. We did that for years. You can always rent at your destination but that's not very convenient either. There's a reason you see so many towing a dinghy.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Sage

Or pulling a trailer or 5er.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Truck stops maybe, but CB & Walmat are not noisy at all,

Not safe do have you any info to support safety issues?

in 9 years never heard anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
Last post said Walmart not very safe? I am a bit worried about safety. If u are traveling through states that do not allow u to carry a weapon what would u use to protect itself if God forbid someone tried to break in??
I think they are very safe and there are always other RV's parked generally in one area.

A gun is a problem, we carry a 12 Ga but a 410 shotgun will work as well, just can't cross over to Canada with it.

Quote:
call 911

They sell a Rand McNally road map that locates all the Walmarts in the country and also indicates if the store allows overnight RVs.
Rvparky.com is free and up to date

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClaus View Post
but having to break camp every time you want to see a sight or make a grocery run is very problematic. We did that for years. You can always rent at your destination but that's not very convenient either. There's a reason you see so many towing a dinghy.
I agree, we towed a 31' Airstream for 6 years, and last 3 drive a motorhome, should have made the switch years ago.

----

also checkout RV, and iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News

those two have thousands of RV'ers that give you info/advice

Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM

Have to agree with Jimbo. In 20 plus years of RVing have never met anyone who had to use a weapon while camping at a truck stop,Walmart, Crackerbarrel etc.
Noise is another issue. Just beware of your surroundings when you stop someplace.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Here's a great site where many questions are answered by the owners of every type of RV imaginable:

RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

Old 04-01-2015, 07:16 AM

We have had one situation that was pretty scary while boondocking at Walmart. It was the middle of the night and someone came banging on the door. I sprang from the bed and in my best "burly football player" voice asked "Who is it". It was a couple of rough looking young guys who said they needed $20 for some scam-reason. I told them we used the last of our cash earlier buying KFC (also in the parking lot) , even having to use our available change. They left without so much as an apology for waking us at 2am. I suspect that they were really checking to see if the moho was empty so they could break in. I hate to think what might have happened if someone smaller had answered the door... I'm 6'2" 300lbs. We do not do parking lots any more. We have done a few rest areas since, but really prefer to pay $30 for a proper site if we can.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.