Anyone fly Lufthansa Airlines?

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Default Anyone fly Lufthansa Airlines?

I will be flying this airlines to Germany in November and this will be the first time I have flown out of the United States. Is this a good airline?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Gold member

Lufthansa has always worked for me. They are professional and friendly. BTW, I have never flown them first class. Always wanted to but never earned the miles.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie123 View Post
I will be flying this airlines to Germany in November and this will be the first time I have flown out of the United States. Is this a good airline?
Good airline and if you are a member of United Mileage Plus you will receive United miles from your Lufthansa flights, if you are not, suggest you sign up prior to your flight and make sure your United number is put into your reservation.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Gold member

I've made many business class flights on Lufthansa, and always found them to be professional and have high standards. While not as good as many of the Asian airlines (that's where you'll find the best in the world), I'd say they are in the top half of the European carriers, which makes them pretty good in my estimation.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Always liked Lufthansa. Top airlines are Singapore, Cathy Pacific, Air New Zealand, and I also like Qantas. To Europe British Airways has gotten a lot better in the last few years, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic.

Ones I have not enjoyed are All Nippon, Varig, Silk Air, Air Malaysia, and India Air, or was it Air India. Either way try to avoid them.

And I also agree that United Mileage Plus seems to be the most beneficial, so would recommend you join before flying. Safe Travels.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Experience

We flew from Amsterdan to Frankfort a couple of years ago on Lufthansa and I purchased 1st Class tickets. To my surprise 1st class were the 3 first rows in economy and you did recieve a "boxed lunch" that others had to pay for.
It was truly outrages. This may be a practice in short hauls in Europe and could not be a general practice or they would not be in business.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Platinum member

Years ago (at least 10), when I was still working in a travel agency our overall philosophy was that state-owned airlines (that is, for example, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM, even Iberia) were preferable to U.S. carriers on most across-the-Atlantic flights.

Over the years, I think the distinctions may very well have become blurred. However, ellie123 specifically asks about Lufthansa. I highly recommend them. I've crossed the Atlantic twice aboard them, both times fortunately in Business Class and couldn't have been happier!

In early August I will fly Orlando-Frankfurt in coach class. Fortunately, Lufthansa uses an Airbus aircraft, which has a 2-4-2 coach seating configuration, and my companion and I have been assigned window-aisle seats!

Much has changed in international air travel since I left the travel agency business. But, ellie123 need not worry about the safety or quality of Lufthansa!

I hope that she has a wonderful journey!

SWR
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Gold member

PennBF, your post reminded me of an experience that made me laugh. I connected many times from Lufthansa to Croatia Airlines in Frankfort, and the Croatia Airlines flight was an Airbus with "business class" seating, which was the same 3/3 configuration as in the back, but with the middle seat of each row covered by a plastic cover. Same seat, same tray, no entertainment, with the only advantage that you didn't have anyone sitting in the middle seat. And they charged a premium of about $300 for the short flight to Zagreb. What a rip-off. And they flew as a code share with Lufthansa. I'm glad my employer was paying, not me . . .
Old 06-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Years ago (at least 10), when I was still working in a travel agency our overall philosophy was that state-owned airlines (that is, for example, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM, even Iberia) were preferable to U.S. carriers on most across-the-Atlantic flights.

Over the years, I think the distinctions may very well have become blurred. However, ellie123 specifically asks about Lufthansa. I highly recommend them. I've crossed the Atlantic twice aboard them, both times fortunately in Business Class and couldn't have been happier!

In early August I will fly Orlando-Frankfurt in coach class. Fortunately, Lufthansa uses an Airbus aircraft, which has a 2-4-2 coach seating configuration, and my companion and I have been assigned window-aisle seats!

Much has changed in international air travel since I left the travel agency business. But, ellie123 need not worry about the safety or quality of Lufthansa!

I hope that she has a wonderful journey!

SWR
back in the early 80s i was the northwest airlines station manager in hamburg and we were ground handled by lufthansa which also included maintenance procedures. i can assure you that they are indeed a class act.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

Another minor advantage of Lufthansa over U.S. domestic airlines is that the foreign carriers like Lufthansa do not charge for beer, wine and cocktails in coach class on Atlantic Crossings. United and U.S. carriers do charge. If you enjoy wine or a cocktail on long flights, it makes a difference.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz View Post
Another minor advantage of Lufthansa over U.S. domestic airlines is that the foreign carriers like Lufthansa do not charge for beer, wine and cocktails in coach class on Atlantic Crossings. United and U.S. carriers do charge. If you enjoy wine or a cocktail on long flights, it makes a difference.
not true.....delta has complimentary beer and wine on intl flt in coach class
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
Thanks for the info. News to me, but I am a million mile United Flyer and rarely fly Delta.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM

I really like them. They have roomy seats, friendly accommodating staff and edible food, which is rare these days.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz.britt View Post
I really like them. They have roomy seats, friendly accommodating staff and edible food, which is rare these days.
Also, Lufthansa serve the BEST coffee of any airline!!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
Yes - one glass....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.