Spring trip to Savannah, GA

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Default Spring trip to Savannah, GA

Planning a trip to Savannah this spring and are interested in your recommendations for dining and lodging in the Historical District. Also, has any one taken the AMTRAK to Savannah, GA and back to Orlando? If so, is the train station in Savannah close to the Historical District?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I lived in Savannah from '72 to '73 and then again from '82 to '88. River Street along the Savannah River is the heart of the historic area because that is where most of the bars and restaurants are located and it's fairly safe. They were 3 story tall cotton warehouses and now the bottom floor is the bar or restaurant and the top floor faces the other way on Bay Street and they usually rent them to offices and shops. I haven't stayed at the Hyatt, but I've been inside and it's pretty neat. The Hyatt Regency is the big hotel that actually sticks over River Street, here's a photo looking up River Street. From that hotel you can walk to most of the places on that street. I think it's on the very expensive side.

See those railroad tracks, my first job after I got out of the Army was as a switchman with Southern Railroad. We would bring sugar trains down those tracks to the sugar refinery and often we would spend a lot of time looking for the owners of the cars parked on the tracks. They have since built parking lots and all that bad parking went away.

The Villages Florida

St. Patrick's Day is a mad house, it's the biggest celebration outside of NYC. That street will be packed with 300,000 all drinking green beer and a huge parade. I only went once. The Hilton Hotel is also nice, but it's a few blocks away and you'll to drive to most things.

There's an island in the middle of the Savannah River, which separates Georgia and South Carolina. About twenty years ago they built a resort there with a golf course. You can probably reach downtown from there over the bridge in a few minutes and yet you would be away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It's called the Club at Savannah Harbor, you can see across the river and that's River Street.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Platinum member

We stay at The Marshall House. It is really nice and fits your requirements.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:37 PM

The " Cotton Sail " Hotel and restuarant was recommended to me , apparently in the river district , checked their site looks nice.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,598 Times in 5,194 Posts

I also lived in Savannah from 1980 to 1995, but it has really changed since then. I think the best place to stay would be the Marriott Savannah Riverfront located on the far east end of the Riverfront. I would not stay at the Hilton because it is not a safe place to walk around at night, especially if you are walking from the hotel to the Riverfront. The Hyatt is a nice place, but it is very old. Some good restaurants I remember are Johnny Harris, Elizabeth's on 37th Street (expensive), Carey Hilliards (cheap), The Pirates House (touristy), The Olde Pink House (unique), The Chart House (chain), Spanky's (bar), Mrs. Wilkes boarding house (lunch), Boar's Head. I would also visit Tybee Island on the beach, which is only about 20 miles from downtown Savannah. I don't think it would be a good idea to take the train because of logistics. Why not just drive? Also, don't even think about going to Savannah around St. Patrick's Day unless you have reservations months in advance, you want to spend a lot of money, and you want to be around thousands of drunks. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I also lived in Savannah from 1980 to 1995, but it has really changed since then. I think the best place to stay would be the Marriott Savannah Riverfront located on the far east end of the Riverfront. I would not stay at the Hilton because it is not a safe place to walk around at night, especially if you are walking from the hotel to the Riverfront. The Hyatt is a nice place, but it is very old. Some good restaurants I remember are Johnny Harris, Elizabeth's on 37th Street (expensive), Carey Hilliards (cheap), The Pirates House (touristy), The Olde Pink House (unique), The Chart House (chain), Spanky's (bar), Mrs. Wilkes boarding house (lunch), Boar's Head. I would also visit Tybee Island on the beach, which is only about 20 miles from downtown Savannah. I don't think it would be a good idea to take the train because of logistics. Why not just drive? Also, don't even think about going to Savannah around St. Patrick's Day unless you have reservations months in advance, you want to spend a lot of money, and you want to be around thousands of drunks. Good luck.
You were there long after I left in '88. There was a movie theater about 2 blocks from Bay Street that was turned into a Comedy Club called the Lucas Cafe. That was a really neat place, I saw a lot famous comedians there. Is that place still around?

I almost owned a bar on River Street. In '82 I was looking for a business and the owner's of Spanky's had bought the bar next door to eliminate the competition. They didn't put any effort into the business and the place was a drain on their money. So I would only be buying the business and equipment, not the building. It was a really nice looking place inside, beautiful exposed brick walls, I was going to make it a comedy club. They were asking $65K and I took an appraiser with me, and I offered $35K. They turned down my offer but called back 3 weeks later to accept it, but I had already moved on to something else. The fellow that did buy it, did make it a comedy club and it was very successful the whole time I was there. It's now the Peanut Shop.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-18-2020, 04:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,598 Times in 5,194 Posts

I remember hearing about the Lucas, but I never went there and don't know what happened to it. The last time I visited Savannah, I didn't recognize it.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:12 AM

We always stay at the River Street Inn. Be sure to ask for a room overlooking the river and you can watch the ships go up and down the river which is directly in front of you! They have a free happy hour too.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 AM

Mrs Wilkes boarding house is a great experience. Family style dining, round tables huge, may be sitting with other folks, homecooked food. Get there early to stand in line outside, but line moved fairly fast since 8-10 are seated at a time. Worth the wait, better than Paula Deen.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:28 AM

Gryphon and Pink House for meals. Take the trolley tour around once and then again to get on/off. Free parking at Visitors Center but street parking also easily found on weekdays. Read Midnight Sun in the Garden of Evil and then visit the places highlighted. Do the cemetery audio tour, really interesting. We stayed slightly out of historic district in a hotel that served dinner, breakfast and happy hour. Think it was a Homewood Suites. Near a shopping plaza with a great Italian restaurant. Skip Paula Dean's except to visit gift shop. Surprisingly good was Prohibition Museum.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Stay in a Bed & Breakfast near one of the Squares, I highly recommend The Green Palm Inn. Great accommodations and fantastic breakfasts.
17Hundred90 is a great restaurant, and be sure to go to Leopolds for amazing ice cream.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:04 AM

I have always liked 1790 Inn:

17Hundred90 Inn & Restaurant – 17Hundred90 Inn & Restaurant
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 02-20-2020, 11:38 AM
Default Savannah Trip

Our son lives in Savannah...we were pleasantly surprised at how close it is to TV!

The Hyatt Regency at W Bay and River St overlooks the Savannah River and is a great downtown place to stay. Upgrade to a river front room and watch the massive container ships glide by.

The Andaz (by Hyatt) on Barnard St (right around the corner from Hyatt Regency) is on Ellis Square (there are many beautiful "squares" or parks throughout the city). Andaz is more of a "boutique" hotel. We've stayed there when we're traveling w our pup as they have some pet-friendly rooms. The restaurant there, 22 Square, is very good.

Paula Deen's Lady and Sons restaurant is so-so. The atmosphere was fun and I'm glad I saw it, but the food was mediocre.

Pacci on E. Bay has really delicious Italian fare.

Vic's on the River is nice for brunch/lunch/dinner.

Check out Leopold's Ice Cream!!

Old Town Trolley Tours is a fun way to tour the city as the driver narrates and shares info and fun facts about the city. It's "hop on, hop off," so you can stop for lunch or to explore, then catch a later trolley and continue on.

Don't miss Forsyth Park-- it's where the beautiful, iconic fountain is located.

The Amtrak station is about 4-5 miles outside downtown. An easy Uber ride to your hotel/B & B.

Have fun
Closed Thread

Tags
savannah, spring, trip, historical, district

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.