transporting puppy

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Default transporting puppy

I have purchased a new puppy and want to get it from Ithaca NY airport to Orlando. Any information like best airlines, contact info, paperwork needed, would be greatly appreciated. It's a Scottish Terrier and weighs only 7 lbs.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Your breeder should be able to help you with this. I shipped a dog from the UK to Logan, Boston and everything was done by the breeder.

I do have a word of caution ............ the dog will go into the hold, the hold is NOT air conditioned and the dog wil have to be at the airport long before the flight actually leaves NY. You really do need someone to be with the dog until it leaves, especially in this heat. Your breeder should be aware of this too. If all else fails, I would fly back to NY and bring the dog on the plane with you in a carry on.

Good luck with everything. Our dog was the most incredible animal we had ever had, she lived to be 14 1/2 yrs old. She is gone some five years and we still miss her every day.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

You need to fly to NY and pickup the dog. The dog will fly with yo n the air conditioned cabin. You will need a sherpa bag for the dog to be contained. You need the vets shot records when you check in at the airport.
This time of year reputable airlines do not put dogs in cargo because of the heat.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Your breeder should be able to help you with this. I shipped a dog from the UK to Logan, Boston and everything was done by the breeder.

I do have a word of caution ............ the dog will go into the hold, the hold is NOT air conditioned and the dog wil have to be at the airport long before the flight actually leaves NY. You really do need someone to be with the dog until it leaves, especially in this heat. Your breeder should be aware of this too. If all else fails, I would fly back to NY and bring the dog on the plane with you in a carry on.

Good luck with everything. Our dog was the most incredible animal we had ever had, she lived to be 14 1/2 yrs old. She is gone some five years and we still miss her every day.

I have to differ with you a bit, Madelaine. We have flown our golden retriever to Paris and to Germany and back several times. Each time the purser has come back to us with information that yes, he was in the hold, and what temperature would we like the hold to be set at.

Animals do not fly in un-airconditioned holds, at least not in the last ten years since we've been flying our guy. We have used Air France nonstop to Paris and Lufthansa nonstop to Germany.

The temperature problem comes from the crate having to sit on the tarmac during the loading procedure. The airline will not fly pets in cargo if the temperature is above 85 degrees, or below a certain temp which I forget as it's never applied to us.

For that reason, we will have to skip going to France this year even if Germany & France open their borders to Americans, because it will be too hot for him to fly.

Having said all that, for a 7-lb dog, I would fly to go get him. He can go into the cabin with you, and as a puppy not used to flying, that would be much easier on him. Our boy was two when we first put him on a plane. He was already crate trained and a seasoned auto traveler, and was over that hyper/nervous-to-new-situations puppyness.

Good luck, and enjoy your puppy!
Old 06-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Lucky Dog! Both the Owner & The Pup!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I have to differ with you a bit, Madelaine. We have flown our golden retriever to Paris and to Germany and back several times. Each time the purser has come back to us with information that yes, he was in the hold, and what temperature would we like the hold to be set at.

Animals do not fly in un-airconditioned holds, at least not in the last ten years since we've been flying our guy. We have used Air France nonstop to Paris and Lufthansa nonstop to Germany.

The temperature problem comes from the crate having to sit on the tarmac during the loading procedure. The airline will not fly pets in cargo if the temperature is above 85 degrees, or below a certain temp which I forget as it's never applied to us.

For that reason, we will have to skip going to France this year even if Germany & France open their borders to Americans, because it will be too hot for him to fly.

Having said all that, for a 7-lb dog, I would fly to go get him. He can go into the cabin with you, and as a puppy not used to flying, that would be much easier on him. Our boy was two when we first put him on a plane. He was already crate trained and a seasoned auto traveler, and was over that hyper/nervous-to-new-situations puppyness.

Good luck, and enjoy your puppy!
At the time we flew Sam over the dogs were still going into the hold, but in those days the RSPCA had an office at Heathrow where they took over the shipping of dogs, they made sure she had water and someone with her at all times. When we got to Logan someone had taken her out of the crate and walked her so that she could relieve herself! I will never forget collecting her from baggage and bringing her through customs on her leash, she sat like a perfect lady and just looked around.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-11-2020, 04:36 PM

You will need to fly with the pup in the cabin. Due to the current COVID situation, a lot of the limited pet routes are not even flying. Working on getting a dog into the US right now. Domestic lines are not flying animals at all and the International lines have limited airports. I think five; JFK, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle, and one I can't remember.

I do know I have to go to either Chicago or Dallas for my situation.

The other possibility is to ground transport your new pup. Check out a site like Pet Relocation | Pet Moving Services | Animal Transport | Happy Tails Travel for information on how to do it.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
At the time we flew Sam over the dogs were still going into the hold, but in those days the RSPCA had an office at Heathrow where they took over the shipping of dogs, they made sure she had water and someone with her at all times. When we got to Logan someone had taken her out of the crate and walked her so that she could relieve herself! I will never forget collecting her from baggage and bringing her through customs on her leash, she sat like a perfect lady and just looked around.
He has always been in the hold, but it's a different hold--pressurized and temperature controlled. My fear was always that he would be forgotten during a change of planes, so the reason to fly to Germany is that it is nonstop. The flights to Paris now are not. They go through JFK, and we've missed flights and they've lost our luggage three times, due to Delta taking off late out of Orlando. Thankfully we never had Crosby with us on those flights.

We would rather fly nonstop into Frankfurt from Orlando and drive to SW France than chance a plane change with a pet.

As much as I looooooooove big dogs, I fear our next dog will have to be a ten-pounder that can fit under the seat in front of us in the cabin. Managing luggage for six months, dog, and 48 x 36" crate through two airports is mind boggling.

As it is, he is now too old to fly. Staying here with this sweetheart till the end.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
You will need to fly with the pup in the cabin. Due to the current COVID situation, a lot of the limited pet routes are not even flying. Working on getting a dog into the US right now. Domestic lines are not flying animals at all and the International lines have limited airports. I think five; JFK, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle, and one I can't remember.

I do know I have to go to either Chicago or Dallas for my situation.

The other possibility is to ground transport your new pup. Check out a site like Pet Relocation | Pet Moving Services | Animal Transport | Happy Tails Travel for information on how to do it.
That's a very good point. OP, I wonder if your breeder is up on the situation vis-a-vis flight transportation for pets.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:51 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

unless the pup is small enough to accompany you in the passenger section you should drive. Worst time of year to transport an animal via an airplane hold, not to mention the trauma you;re subjecting a young puppy through ..
Old 06-11-2020, 10:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
unless the pup is small enough to accompany you in the passenger section you should drive. Worst time of year to transport an animal via an airplane hold, not to mention the trauma you;re subjecting a young puppy through ..
I couldn't agree more. Putting a small pup into the cargo compartment of a plane will tarnish the poor thing for life. Dogs have very long memories and are easily spooked. Either fly it in the passenger section of the plane or go pick it up and drive it to the Villages. And best of luck with your new four legged companion.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:38 AM

Sorry but it’s irresponsible to ship a dog unattended in cargo hold. Really bad decision and poor pet parenting.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:47 AM

Absolutely yes. Fly to Ithaca, bring puppy back same day in a crate. Why take a chance?
Old 06-12-2020, 04:49 AM

I couldn’t agree more. Fly to pupper. Bring it home with you.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:03 AM

Also check with the airlines, most don’t allow animals to fly in the summer months because of the extreme heat in the cargo area.
Closed Thread

Tags
puppy, transporting, greatly, info, paperwork

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.