travel to England in May

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2023, 07:06 PM
Default travel to England in May

Wondering if anyone can tell me which kind of converter/adapter I need for England - to charge my ipad, iphone, and hair dryer. I researched for over an hour and ordered a BESTEK from Amazon for $39.99. When it arrived, the box had picture of a hairdryer, coffee pot, curling iron and the words DO NOT USE over them. Any help would be appreciated, especially if you can give me the precise name, item #, and dollar amount from Amazon so I order the correct one. Its very aggravating, after all my hard work. WAAA. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Wondering if anyone can tell me which kind of converter/adapter I need for England - to charge my ipad, iphone, and hair dryer. I researched for over an hour and ordered a BESTEK from Amazon for $39.99. When it arrived, the box had picture of a hairdryer, coffee pot, curling iron and the words DO NOT USE over them. Any help would be appreciated, especially if you can give me the precise name, item #, and dollar amount from Amazon so I order the correct one. Its very aggravating, after all my hard work. WAAA. Thank you.
PM Two Bills, he lives in the UK and will be able to assist you.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:38 PM

Thank you, will do that.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:05 PM

I believe England uses a 3 prong outlet. if you use anything that's a dual voltage such as a phone or tablet chargers you will just need the plug adapter. Way to tell is to look at power label on the device if its label something like 100-240V its a dual voltage but if its just label like just110-120V its single voltage so you will need the power inverter ( think that's what they are called)
Old 03-30-2023, 06:43 AM

If you look at the listing on the Amazon site you can scroll down and it will show you the correct plug for the UK. It’s the one with 3 rectangular prongs, one perpendicular to the other two.
As someone else mentioned, just make sure your devices are dual voltage. Most hairdryers are.
I wonder if the package includes that warning because this adapter can’t handle the wattage that a hairdryer draws.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,964 Times in 753 Posts

Sorry! Something went wrong!
Pages of adapters single from $14 and up for double pack includeding usb connections
Check: travel adapters England
Old 03-30-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Many things purchased even in the US are dual voltage. You would just need the adaptor plug. Check the items you wish to bring with you to confirm if they will work with 110 and 220 voltage. If not you need a step down convertor. Check Amazon, I'm sure they will sell you one. Speaking from three years in the military in Germany, as well as a career traveling back and forth to the UK and Germany.

Last edited by Battlebasset; 03-30-2023 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-31-2023, 04:25 AM

We just moved back from the UK. I have a bag of UK plug adaptors if you want to borrow a few. 🤷🏼*♀️
Old 03-31-2023, 04:45 AM
Platinum member
Default Volder not

Hogwarts has no electricity
Old 03-31-2023, 07:37 AM
Default Charging in England

I'm an American who has lived in England.

You will have no trouble with your i-phone and i-pad. All phones/computers/tablets that charge with a USB are dual voltage (I mean all). You can charge those devices from a USB port on your computer but that charge is slow and you will not be bringing a computer from what I understand. Therefore, you need a plug that accepts a USB and is the "three prong" English style. Search on "USB wall charger England" and you will get a good selection to choose from.

As for your hair dryer - almost any hotel you would want to stay in provides hair dryers for guests, usually they are in the room (attached to the wall, or sometimes in a bag under the sink). You can email your hotel(s) to confirm they have hairdryers.

If you want to bring a hairdryer for whatever reason, you will need either (a) a "dual voltage hair dryer" or (b) what is called a "step down converter". Put these terms into Amazon and products will come up.

Note: You do not need to use the step down converter with your iphone or ipad, just your hairdryer if it is not dual voltage.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Adapter plugs do not change voltage. They only adapt to plugs in different countries. Your best bet is to invest in dual voltage appliances, like hair dryer, curling iron, etc. (if you haven't already) and buy a pack of multiple plug adapters.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:39 AM
Default Converter/Adapter:

You’ll need a converter to step down from 240 to 110 and you’ll need an adapter to convert from a 3 pin plug. If you just get an adapter (without a converter) your appliance will fry and the plug in the wall will start to burn. After a few seconds that plug will either burst into flames or shoot out of the wall.

QUOTE=Jerseygirl08;2202664]Wondering if anyone can tell me which kind of converter/adapter I need for England - to charge my ipad, iphone, and hair dryer. I researched for over an hour and ordered a BESTEK from Amazon for $39.99. When it arrived, the box had picture of a hairdryer, coffee pot, curling iron and the words DO NOT USE over them. Any help would be appreciated, especially if you can give me the precise name, item #, and dollar amount from Amazon so I order the correct one. Its very aggravating, after all my hard work. WAAA. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-31-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It all depends on where you are staying. I spent three weeks in the UK last summer and all of the brand name hotels had 120 volt outlets, no converter required.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:36 AM
Default Amazon adapter

Quote:
I purchased this adapter for a recent trip to Europe. Used it for my curling iron as well as my iPad and iPhone. No issues with any device. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YKZSGBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-31-2023, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
It all depends on where you are staying. I spent three weeks in the UK last summer and all of the brand name hotels had 120 volt outlets, no converter required.
We class them as shaver sockets, ( they are usually in bathrooms ) and although most two pin plugs fit, Do NOT use with anything that has a heating element.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, england, appreciated, give, precise

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.