Traveling with the coronavirus threat

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2020, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

What part of the villages do you live?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 AM
Gold member

I was scheduled to be in Beijing this week; Taipei next week, for a birthday getaway. I cancelled the trip, not really due to any fears that I might catch the corona virus, which for most people has symptoms not any more severe than a common cold, but due to my fears that the US Government might prevent any flights arriving from China, and I might get stuck over there. The flu in this country is much worse than the corona virus, in both severity and death rate. This is another case of the media over blowing a situation, coupled with a toxic political environment.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:15 AM

stay home, stay safe.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Here is an excellent article about how to prepare for a pandemic. This article discusses second and third order events, which makes one appreciate today's world and economy.

So you think you're about to be in a pandemic? - Virology Down Under
Good article attempting to provide perspective and calming through knowledge and planning.

The more information like this should help us all to understand the reality and potential of a given situation.

Unfortunately in too many instances, some information will be distorted by and for media and political gain.

Most of us are in the age groups that are most vulnerable. We do need to common sense plan and become prevention oriented.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:24 AM

we're scheduled to do a river cruise in April. Called Viking, they aren't making any concessions at this time. Travel insurance won't cover this either. Looks like I'm out $$$ if I decide to cancel.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omycherie View Post
If you have travel plans. Stay with the facts, not rumors or false news reports. Go to travel.state.gov. And read travel reports and warnings. This is where the most up to date accurate information on travel and safety is located, Not the news on TV that’s just going for ratings.
Our airports are screening people when coming into the US and so are cruise lines. People are not being allowed in other countries if the show any signs of being sick as a precaution. Know the facts to stay safe.
I see what you are saying..
Still, I wouldn't trust it. I'm sure that info was out there for all the people that were on that cruise, and got sick.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:11 AM
Default Fantastic Article .. Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Here is an excellent article about how to prepare for a pandemic. This article discusses second and third order events, which makes one appreciate today's world and economy.

So you think you're about to be in a pandemic? - Virology Down Under
Very well written and contains excellent real world advice.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:44 AM
Default Travel with coronavirus threat

I had scheduled a trip to China for April, 2020. The company cancelled the trip and refunded all monies. Allianz insurance also refunded the fee paid for insurance.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:22 AM

Panic has set in locally. Lowe's, Ace and Sparr sold out of N95 masks used in sanding applications. Sales person at Sparr told me that one guy came in and bought the last of their stock of 200 masks. Lowe's said they had a panic rush yesterday and had to post an out of stock notice on the entrance doors. The media is in a frenzy and not putting the situation in perspective vis a vis flu, MERS and similar pandemic's.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:51 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Interesting article in my old local paper about my good friends trip under this virus threat -> Life aboard a shunned ship - Urbana Daily Citizen
Old 02-28-2020, 11:29 AM

Our daughter and granddaughter are currently on an MSC cruise in the Caribbean. The ship they're on was turned away from Jamaica and Grand Cayman. Island officials are terrified of the coronavirus spreading there.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:16 PM

That's good, hope they'll do same for us. As of yesterday, they wouldn't.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:19 PM
Location: Originally PA and NJ...now living on the Hysterical Side (aka Country Club Hills)
Send a message via Yahoo to mtnest917

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
We are scheduled to leave on a Caribbean cruise in two weeks. Think we're going to cancel. Just doesn't seem a wise thing to do at this time!
We are leaving for Western Caribbean on Sunday (3/1). The cruise ships are taking precautions. What is going to happen is going to happen. Have you thought about where we live, Central Florida. We are a tourism mecca between Orlando, Tampa, Daytona and Clearwater. WE live in the middle.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:28 PM
Default Flue

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I was scheduled to be in Beijing this week; Taipei next week, for a birthday getaway. I cancelled the trip, not really due to any fears that I might catch the corona virus, which for most people has symptoms not any more severe than a common cold, but due to my fears that the US Government might prevent any flights arriving from China, and I might get stuck over there. The flu in this country is much worse than the corona virus, in both severity and death rate. This is another case of the media over blowing a situation, coupled with a toxic political environment.
The flu is definitely not worse. The death rate is the percent of people who die who contract the illness. All current data indicates a far higher death rate for the coronavirus. There have been far more flu cases, obviously we have no way of determining how many cases there will eventually be for this new strain. There is a flu vaccine, no such vaccine exists for coronavirus.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
The flu is definitely not worse. The death rate is the percent of people who die who contract the illness. All current data indicates a far higher death rate for the coronavirus. There have been far more flu cases, obviously we have no way of determining how many cases there will eventually be for this new strain. There is a flu vaccine, no such vaccine exists for coronavirus.
Thank you for trying to interject...some facts and perspective.

Yes, more people get and die from the flu...as of right now.

HOWEVER, the lethality of the coronovirus is 23 TIMES higher for those who get it...than the flu.

Coronavirus Lethality (click here)

Quote:
BEIJING (AP) — There's lots of confusion about how deadly the new coronavirus from China really is: Even health officials sometimes say "deadly" when they may mean "lethal."

Lethality is how often a disease proves fatal. For coronavirus, that's estimated at 2.3 percent in the current outbreak. That means more than one in fifty people die after being infected with coronavirus.

The flu's lethality is 0.1 percent. It kills about one in every thousand people infected with it.

That means the coronavirus is 23 times more lethal than the flu.

In the United States, about 36,000 people die from the flu each year.
Closed Thread

Tags
travel, home--be, imho--stay, covered, pandemics/epidemics

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.