Trip/Evacuation Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Gold member
Default Trip/Evacuation Insurance

One reason that we buy trip insurance is for potential medical airlift back to the US for treatment. One of our neighbors had to utilize this benefit on a recent trip to the Caribbean. What was a surprise to me was that, despite having trip insurance that covered the huge cost (I think it was in the $25,000 to $50,000 range), they had to front the cost themselves with credit cards and then seek reimbursement later. Fortunately they had a combination of cards such that they were able to meet that expense.

We will be taking a trip to Asia and our policy "covers" us up to $250,000 for evacuation. The question I have is, suppose you are confronted with a cost even only a half of that, how would people lay their hands on that amount of instant credit or cash to cover the expense until they are reimbursed by the insurance policy?

Is this something that savy travelers have an answer for, or is the evacuation insurance somewhat meaningless?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I would reconsider traveling
Old 01-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

Travel Insurance policies are complicated. Plus, provisions vary from company to company and from policy to policy even if they are issued by the same company.

You will have to read the details of the policy to try to figure out what is covered and who they will reimbursed. Assume nothing!

I called the insurance company that underwrote one of our travel policies directly one time with some questions. I wanted to make sure I was not misunderstanding a specific provision around payment of claims and how it would work. They gave me an answer.

One other important thing many people overlook; What type of evacuation?

Yes, there are multiple types of evacuation! Some insurance policies only insure the cost (up to the coverage limit) of getting the insured to the nearest appropriate medical facility.

There is a service industry that offers membership services for a certain "specific" type of medical evacuation. They claim to fill a gap in the medical evacuation provision of many travel insurance policies. But, they are not insurance companies, they are service organizations.

Their service is very limited in scope. They claim that they move people from hospital A to hospital B. For example, one is admitted to hospital in a foreign country under a doctors care and needs to be transported to a hospital at home.

It is too complicated to try to describe the details. You can read about them at their web sites. Each of those companies has slightly different service offerings.

Air Ambulance Card
AirMed
Medjet Assist

FYI. All of those companies have age restrictions on their membership plans.

Last edited by JourneyOfLife; 01-31-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 01-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Gold member

My pal had Travel Guard Platinum, and fell ill on a cruise. They sent a tender to the boat to take him ashore, helicoptered to airport, corporate jet to Tampa, ambulance to hospital, overnight in hospital. Cost was zero.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 PM

Hi, We have two different types of travel insurance. The first one is what most people purchase (we get the premium policy). Due to the business I am involved in we travel a lot including over seas.

There is an insurance policy that if you need to be evacuated out of a country and need the assistance of medical care during the transportation process (via plane) you are covered. If you have to pay for this type of medical evacuation you would not receive much financial coverage from regular travel insurance.

If you have any concerns about needing the above coverage I would certainly buy this policy.

Just my thoughts and what we do.

Vicar of Dibley
Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM

I would also recommend Travel Guard. Your cost is zero and they can be reached 24/7.

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICAR OF DIBLEY View Post
Hi, We have two different types of travel insurance. The first one is what most people purchase (we get the premium policy). Due to the business I am involved in we travel a lot including over seas.

There is an insurance policy that if you need to be evacuated out of a country and need the assistance of medical care during the transportation process (via plane) you are covered. If you have to pay for this type of medical evacuation you would not receive much financial coverage from regular travel insurance.

If you have any concerns about needing the above coverage I would certainly buy this policy.

Just my thoughts and what we do.
I'm not sure how this policy differs from what my neighbor had. His net cost was zero, but only after he fronted the huge upfront expense and then when he got home filed a claim to be reimbursed. Are you suggesting that some policies will negotiate directly with the air evacuation company so that they will perform their service and bill it directly to the insurance company? It seems that you are still at the mercy of the service provider in some obscure foreign country willing to take it on faith that they will be paid by the insurance company in, what is to them, a far away foreign country.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM

I'm not sure how this policy differs from what my neighbor had. His net cost was zero, but only after he fronted the huge upfront expense and then when he got home filed a claim to be reimbursed.
One of the major differences in the policies is the total dollar amount that the policy offers. The cost if someone needs to be flown home with the need of a physician is way more than this policy will cover. Cost is also dependent on country of origin.

Are you suggesting that some policies will negotiate directly with the air evacuation company so that they will perform their service and bill it directly to the insurance company? No.

It seems that you are still at the mercy of the service provider in some obscure foreign country willing to take it on faith that they will be paid by the insurance company in, what is to them, a far away foreign country. I personally have had medical services for an extensive period of time in a third world country. Payment for the services I required were not requested until the day I was discharged.

The services required by an individual are already negotiated by the company prior to the services being offered. This is the same as the company being spoken about in this thread.

What we are discussing between the policies is the type of services someone will need if they are injured and/or become ill.

Feel free to email me if you want specific information.
Today 03:56 PM

Vicar of Dibley
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 AM

Go to Insure My Trip .com pick the policy that best suites your needs, bypass the tour operators. Good Luck. Bill
Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

No one on here is going to know the specifics about you or your policy.

You have some homework to do!

Read the policy and call the insurance company to ask insurance questions.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Definition of evacuation is the key. Two years ago the bridge to Hatteras Island was washed out and the only way to get there was by ferry. The insurance company's used by rental company's in the Outer Banks only insured the days the county had an evacuation in effect. The evacuation was lifted within 3 days, but you still couldn't get to Hatteras by car. It took 4 months to get the bridge repaired and guests traveling to Hatteras Island were not reimbursed by the insurance company because there was not an evacuation in effect. With the number of people using the ferry, the ferry only took residents with health problems to the central part of the Outer Banks for medical care and to get food to the island.

The legality of this was in question and is still being worked out with no solution in sight. It seems to be a tug of war between the insurance company and the insured.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
Definition of evacuation is the key. Two years ago the bridge to Hatteras Island was washed out and the only way to get there was by ferry. The insurance company's used by rental company's in the Outer Banks only insured the days the county had an evacuation in effect. The evacuation was lifted within 3 days, but you still couldn't get to Hatteras by car. It took 4 months to get the bridge repaired and guests traveling to Hatteras Island were not reimbursed by the insurance company because there was not an evacuation in effect. With the number of people using the ferry, the ferry only took residents with health problems to the central part of the Outer Banks for medical care and to get food to the island.

The legality of this was in question and is still being worked out with no solution in sight. It seems to be a tug of war between the insurance company and the insured.
what you are describing is the ubiquitous "intended" "expected" argument that is a part of virtually every kind of contract.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post

But you are talking about trip insurance, not medical evacuation insurance, right? And that's within the US, not overseas.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
My pal had Travel Guard Platinum, and fell ill on a cruise. They sent a tender to the boat to take him ashore, helicoptered to airport, corporate jet to Tampa, ambulance to hospital, overnight in hospital. Cost was zero.
Cost was zero: was that zero up front, or after reimbursement?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.