Trip Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2017, 09:12 AM
Default Trip Insurance

Trip Insurance isn't as clearcut as you might think, in fact it's quite opaque. This site has a lot of helpful information so you don't make an expensive mistake. Click around, there's much here. https://tripinsurancestore.com/

If you've already made travel plans you can enter the information and get side by side price and feature comparisons of 9 insurance companies.

Here's another place with answers to important questions. The TripInsuranceStore.com Blog - "If You Are Dead Serious About Understanding How Cruise, Travel & Trip Insurance Works, This Will Be The Most Important Blog You Have Ever Read"
Old 08-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Thanks, Jimmydoodlebug. Trip insurance is grossly misunderstood. Nobody pays attention to details such as if the coverage is primary or secondary.

Here is another web site that may be of use. It'll take a look at nearly 30 companies and multiple policies in each company. You can compare prices, options and ratings/reviews.

Click here.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Trip insurance just saved us just north of $6,000. We had to cancel just 3 days before leaving on a trip we had planned for months. No problem getting all our money back except, of course, the cost of the insurance. AAA had recommended Allianz and can't say enough how professional our refund was handled. Trip insurance is expensive the older you get but would not plan a trip without it.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Thanks, Jimmydoodlebug. Trip insurance is grossly misunderstood. Nobody pays attention to details such as if the coverage is primary or secondary.

Here is another web site that may be of use. It'll take a look at nearly 30 companies and multiple policies in each company. You can compare prices, options and ratings/reviews.

Click here.
Great find Jeff. Very helpful.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Sage

I also think of trip medical insurance for overseas travel. A friend was on an overseas cruise and got a medical problem, transferred to the hospital and had surgery. Days later was sent home on a medical transport plane back to Orlando. This costs around $100,000 all paid by trip insurance.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I also think of trip medical insurance for overseas travel. A friend was on an overseas cruise and got a medical problem, transferred to the hospital and had surgery. Days later was sent home on a medical transport plane back to Orlando. This costs around $100,000 all paid by trip insurance.
Another travel insurance detail that should concern everyone, when thinking about health emergencies, is if and how does your policy cover pre-existing medical conditions. The devil is in the details.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:49 PM
Sage

i find it economical in most cases to purchase the annual trip insurance from Allianz with good coverage for medical emergencies while traveling all year, although it has a limit of $2000 for cancelled trip....i fear more the medical costs than the cancellation as i usually buy less expensive trips and airfare can usually be recouped.....this works for my peace of mind.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"... your desired coverage might already be something you have through one of your credit cards."

Best credit cards for free travel insurance.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
"... your desired coverage might already be something you have through one of your credit cards."

Best credit cards for free travel insurance.
Thank You, Ecuadog!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Platinum member

We just came home two days early from Paris because of a relative in the hospital. I had used airline points for the trip. I had to use additional points for the flight home and this is not covered by insurance. I had Travel Guard, an AIG product, which is generally highly regarded. So if you are using points for your trip, check to see if the insurance covers the air portion.

Tags
insurance, trip, side, information, travel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.