Rhinebeck Visit

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Thumbs up Rhinebeck Visit

Was in Rhinebeck last year in October before I moved to The Villages. Went to the sheep and wool festival........AMAZING!
Old 02-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Gold member
Smile

Rhinebeck, NY is one of my favorite places. We have been there a few times while living in NJ. We have been to the Culinary Institute of America for dinner. They have 4 restaurants there which are manned by students and instructors. You need to make a reservation at least 2 or 3 months in advance. This can be done online. Granted that the institute is not in Rhinebeck itself but is near.

We have been to the Rhinebeck in a few times and I have to say that there mashed potatoes are the best I have ever had. They must have used a ton of butter and cream. They were rich and creamy.

The most interesting thing at Rhinebeck is the Rhinebeck Aerodrome. They have shows every Saturday and Sunday and fly historic planes. These planes are housed in buildings at the site and you can get a closeup view of these planes. The earliest plane we have seen there was a 1908 French plane that flew over the English channel. I believe it was a Bleriot. On Saturday they have different flying stunts like when two planes are flying and trying to make the most cuts with their propellers on a toilet paper roll before it hits the ground. Can't remember some of the other things they did on Saturday. On Sunday they have a fake dogfights and the German side has a Fokker triplane which is the type of plane that Baron Von Richthoven flew. It was painted red. Most of the planes here were First World War planes to the 30's. No jets here.

Going to the Aerodrome is a great experience. These guys are amazing pilots and you can learn a lot while there. Highly recommended.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 02-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Gold member

Got this online which gives some further information ---

The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is a true “living” museum of antique aviation located in the historic town of Rhinebeck, New York. We present one of the largest collections of early aeroplanes in the world, as well as automobiles, motorcycles, early engines and memorabilia spanning the period from 1900-1939.

During our exciting weekend air shows, the Aerodrome turns back the hands of time and relives the early years of aviation (weather permitting). This colorful era is brought back to life amidst the roar of rotary engines and is great entertainment for all ages. The Saturday shows chronicle the history of flight with pioneer, World War I and Lindbergh era aircraft taking to the skies. If the winds are calm you will even see our 1909 Bleriot (the oldest flying aircraft in the United States) take to the air. The Sunday shows feature a World War I dogfight as well as barnstorming aircraft.

In addition to weekend aerial demonstrations, the Aerodrome also offers four museum buildings housing static displays of aircraft from the pioneer, World War I and Lindbergh/barnstorming eras which are open to the public seven days a week from June to October.

Website is Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 PM

Just think how lucky I was to grow up there-it was a great place to grow up in. I knew almost everyone in town and everyone knew me-made it almost impossible to do anything wrong without mom knowing before I got home. As a kid I played with a friend who lived next to the aerodrome so I watched it grow and grow to what it is now. I had a younger brother go to the CIA-an excellent school! With the Roosevelt and Vanderbilt mansions down the street and Astors estate in my back yard it was full of history.My mom still lives there so I still get to visit.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.