When Will You Be Ready to Fly Again?

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage
Default When Will You Be Ready to Fly Again?

I would like to come back to TV for a visit late Summer/early Fall. I am a little hesitant to fly from Chicago to Orlando and back and driving is not realistic because of my vacation schedule. I also don't like long road trips driving solo.

Are you ready to board a flight yet? What about in 3 to 4 months from now?

Part of me says live your life and go to The Villages in a few months. Part of me says do a staycation this year.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

I will be watching the health reports of flight crew over the next few months.
If plenty of them survive, we will fly Atlantic this winter.
If they start dropping like flies, we will hibernate at home!
Old 06-08-2020, 01:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

From what I have read getting one's hair cut and flying are the riskiest endeavors COVID-19wise. I need to make a business trip in a month or so and will drive solo for two days each way. I am not looking forward to that but really do not want to fly, wearing a mask for hours on end and all the rest of the hassle and iffiness as I will need to change planes. For my hotel night I will use FF miles as I have over 1.5 million of them that I must use or lose.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2020, 01:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Since my plan to go to Scotland this summer was covided, I hope to go next year.

I might just book a private cabin on a freighter if air travel looks too scary. I can hide away and read books for a week.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Smile Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I would like to come back to TV for a visit late Summer/early Fall. I am a little hesitant to fly from Chicago to Orlando and back and driving is not realistic because of my vacation schedule. I also don't like long road trips driving solo.

Part of me says live your life and go to The Villages in a few months. Part of me says do a staycation this year.
Put me down for "live your life".........
My wife and I are VERY FREQUENT fliers due to my business which includes flights to South Korea, Japan, Guam, Taiwan, and other places. We constantly get updates from our main airline co (Delta) on what they're doing to help and we're satisfied. Eliminating the middle seats, new air cleaning systems, extensive cleaning, and very few fliers compared to 6 months ago helps. They're also limiting any distribution of food PLUS the flight attendants are wearing masks.
BTW, we're leaving next Weds for Michigan, then again to Michigan in July and Oahu in July and August and finally Germany in December.
This is just MY opinion and "opinions" can't be wrong, can they? As our attorney says "you're entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts
Old 06-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

We cruise a lot and have lost several due to the virus.

Until there is a better treatment and vaccine do not see us either cruisng or flying.

Wearing a mask for a trip is not something we want to do.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

When there is an effective treatment, or vaccine or as Bill says enough fliers survive .... love to travel but will stick to our BMW LT with hubby and live out of saddle bags. We used to do it for months at a time. I remember pulling up to valet parking at the Ritz with an 800 lb bike (not the hotel in the photo).
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	45685D6A-893B-4B4C-AD47-EA61C5B88CCF.jpg
Views:	2630
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	84497  

Last edited by Velvet; 06-08-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

I'd fly tomorrow if I needed (or wanted) to. I tend to watch the statistics and therefore realize how small the risk is.

I would not try to advise anyone else to take any action related to COVID 19.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

You will be fine. In fact the airlines are going out of there way to encourage people to fly.

Another thing huge bargains. We would be in England now however what is preventing us from going is they still have restrictions.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default We're flying.

Quote:

Wife and I flew from Moline, IL to Sanford, on Allegiant, last Thursday, and home on Sunday, Flights were about half full and things went smoothly on both ends. TSA, airline staff and some customers wore masks. Stewardess handed out single-use masks and gloves as we boarded, but weren't mandatory. We weren't worried.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

not until there is a vaccine...
Old 06-08-2020, 04:53 PM

You might be surprised how many people are flying. We flew to TV to check on our house back in early May from Colorado. Our flight was half full on the way there, and completely full on the way back. We are coming back this Friday for a visit, and I anticipate the flights to be completely full since they have reduced the number of flights per day. When we flew back in May, that was prior to the mask requirement by airlines. My wife and I wore masks, but I would guess that at least a third of people on our flight did not.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:40 PM

Just returned for San Juan visiting grand kids for 2 weeks. Tickets were $35 each way, couldn't resist. Had great time and zero problems. Only live once
Old 06-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:

From one who has done all the world travel that I care to do the answer is never will I fly again. I will not put myself into a airborne petrie dish but again why ? I've seen the world as much as I care. I rather see our country at a snails pace off the interstate. Next bucket list - perhaps house boating on Lake Cumberland.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:49 AM

New York times today surveyed 511 epidemiologists regarding their plans for social engagement.
Closed Thread

Tags
part, driving, months, back, fly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.