Will you cruise or fly after COVID 19?

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Although I need to fly for business purposes I have cut way back since the world got hit by the China virus pandemic. I now only travel when absolutely necessary. When possible I use accumulated frequent flyer miles which now amount to 1.6M. I use them to rent cars and hotel rooms too but I doubt I'll ever be able to use them all.

I went on a lot of cruises back in my early to mid sixties and got them out of my system. What I experienced was whenever a bug was going around a ship, which was at least half the time, I got it as I am prone to catching whatever respiratory disease is circulating within the population. Too, as a result of my time at sea my facial skin had started to age rapidly from both the direct sunlight and that reflected off the water's surface.

From my experience many if not most cruisers were newly wed, nearly dead or overfed.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-27-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I'll be doing both .. If you live your life in fear and plan to cloister yourself forever, what is the point of living .. Having the time to travel is one of the best things about retirement .. Isolation is a sure fire way to shorten your life.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Do they serve lobster on river cruises? If so, you still owe me one! (yes, I know, cross-threading, 10 yard penalty.
You're cross-threading, but you did mention the river cruise.
You owe me a lobster because I won the bet.
It was many years ago, so I barely remember it.
You know what they say about old people forgetting stuff.
Soon I won't remember that you lost the bet!

Last edited by Barefoot; 04-27-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:13 PM
Platinum member

I flew enough in the Air Force. COVID-19 has nothing to do with my not flying. I have lived all over the world and don't need to see anything new except maybe Viet Nam in peacetime.

I only go on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise and it is TBD if I will continue to do so. Been to every destination and have seen all the bands numerous times, so maybe not.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:16 PM

Yes to cruising and probably to flying but only if there is a treatment and/or vaccine for the Covid-19. We have had a 14 day Alaskan cruise cancelled for this August by the cruise line; we would have cancelled it before final payment in June if Covid-19 was still a concern. We have a February 2021cruise in the Caribbean and a 21 day Mediterrranean and trans-Atlantic for Nov 2021. Those will be cancelled by us unless there is a definitive treatment and/or an effective vaccine by final payment dates. After 2021 we will have to decide based on our age, health status, world pandemic status, and US Epidemics status.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
If i fly, i would have a heart attack and die if there was turbulence. On a cruise i would be afraid of drowning in a fierce storm.
I assume you mean that to be funny, and it.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

For years, I’ve spent Thanksgiving week an a little resort south of Cancun that is limited to 84 people. Not this year. I don’t even know if I’ll fly to Denver for Christmas with my 91 year old dad. Safe or not, the idea of it horrified me.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:29 PM

Yes to both. We love cruising, have been on around 40 of them and have never gotten sick. We’ll probably wait until there’s a vaccine or effective treatment before we go again. We have a cruise booked for Jan 2021 and we’re waiting to see how things look.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:33 PM
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ to Villages (Pennecamp) in December 2010.

No cruising until a vaccine is available. Flying,I'll wait and see what they come up with.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Veteran member

I can't wait to get back on a cruise ship. I spent a year planning a trip to Norway and the Arctic Circle for June which (sadly) was cancelled by the cruise line.

I have been on at least 30 cruises and have never gotten sick. None of my traveling companions has ever gotten sick, to my knowledge.

If you think that cruise ships have gotten too crowded you are probably on mainstream lines that carry 2,000 to 6,000 passengers. Try a smaller ship. (We have been on Crystal Serenity when it was full -- 900 passengers -- and it felt half empty.) Lots of luxury lines carry just 200 - 300. River cruises are usually 150 to 200. Different cruise lines appeal to different demographics (and different budgets). A good agent can help you find a cruise line and a particular ship that fits your needs and desires.

I didn't start to cruise until about 12 years ago and traveled very little prior to that, so I still have a fairly long list of places on my bucket list. (And the clock is ticking!)

kathy
Old 04-27-2020, 07:08 PM

Stopped cruising and flying years ago, so that would be a hard no. No interest in traveling to foreign countries or anywhere up north. Been to all but 2 continental US states. :-)

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 04-27-2020, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I'd probably look forward to a river cruise, next time. Never done that before. Smaller ship, fewer passengers, closer to land along the entire trip. The last cruise we took was a big family affair on a Carnival that was as expected for Carnival: sub-par on all levels. The one before that we encountered a storm on the way from Bermuda, and a passenger with a heart attack who had to be put in a cage and pulleyed up into a helicopter, in the middle of the storm, that brought him to shore, because the ship didn't have a helipad.

I love cruising but those two cruises made me think next time I'd be willing to pay a little more for a smaller, less populous cruise.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'd probably look forward to a river cruise, next time. Never done that before. Smaller ship, fewer passengers, closer to land along the entire trip.
A couple years ago we did a "Tulip Time" 7-night river cruise on AmaWaterways, R/T Amsterdam. Lovely ship. Wonderful ports. I would do it again just for the opportunity to revisit Keukenhof Gardens. Highly recommended.

k.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
A couple years ago we did a "Tulip Time" 7-night river cruise on AmaWaterways, R/T Amsterdam. Lovely ship. Wonderful ports. I would do it again just for the opportunity to revisit Keukenhof Gardens. Highly recommended.

k.
I took one from there. It is tulip time now, I believe. River cruises can be taken throughout much of Europe and I have taken Danube, Rhine and others. The boats dock right in the center of the towns and much can be seen within walking distance. Also it does not take forever to board and get off the vessel as you have 100+ passengers rather than 1,000+; no tenders needed to get to and from shore either. One of the best I took was from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Also a Nile cruise is a great way to visit the Sphinx, pyramids, Valley of the Kings and other sites along the river in Egypt.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Simple answer--------------->NO

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, flying, people, covid, fly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.