Will you cruise or fly after COVID 19?

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2020, 05:23 AM
Default Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I think there will be people that will think twice about flying and especially cruising, after this pandemic.
I will continue to fly go on cruises, continue to ride my motorcycle, skydive any other activity I would like to enjoy and experience.
I have chosen to live my life the best I can, take precautions as needed but refuse to live in fear or be intimidated into submission.

I believe the world is going soft and I am not going along with it.

I believe life as what you make of it and I intend to make it one hell of a ride.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:24 AM

Never been on a cruise so I will still not go. Flying yes, when things calm down.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

I became vigilant about not getting sick in 2017, so I've been training for this COVID situation for a while. No flying, no cruises, no hugs.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:34 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default will do both

Quote:
I think there will be people that will think twice about flying and especially cruising, after this pandemic.
will do both, but not until July
Old 04-27-2020, 05:40 AM

Yes, to both.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:49 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default after covid 19

Flying yes, but with masks. Cruising - will wait until next year to make that decision.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:53 AM

We were scheduled to go north May 1, but postponed until September 1. No flying, travel north will be by AutoTrain (private compartment) part way, then drive. We have cruise scheduled for February 2021 (rescheduled from March 2020). Will just have to wait and see on all travel.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:57 AM
Default Fly/Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN48 View Post
We have cruised over 30 times and future cruises are unlikely.
Aside from the Chinese Virus threat (which will end), the quality of cruising has steadily declined over the last 20 years as cruise lines follow the "airline model" for pricing and quality. My complaints:
--Lower quality in Dining Rooms pushes people to over-priced Specialty Restaurants to obtain the food quality formerly in included dining
--Understaffed bar areas
--Low quaity entertainment frequently using the same ensemble entertainers
--Shore excursions priced at 200% of the going rate
--Frequent long lines for many services
--Relentless push to sell Spa treatments, photos, etc.
--Combining Cruise Director and Entertainer positions
--And, so on.

We find we can travel independently for 50% as much at a higher overall quality level.
As for flying-yes, but not right away. And, mainly to visit our family.
For the next year or two, we will focus on the U.S. and keep the money at home!!
It should not be referred to as the "Chinese Virus - it is COVID-19. If it is you should call the flu 100 years ago the American virus because it possibly originated in Kansas.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Basically, the world will be back to the new normal when there is a solid testing abilities and a solid recovery protocols minimizing the risks of poor outcomes. The world is working towards that outcome, but there is no centralized plan nor predictive date for that scenario. Just the general free market goal.

Our summer vacation this year is currently a driving to destination vacation, which was booked prior to the pandemic, and yes, we will go. We have flights and hotels booked in Iceland in October. Yes, we will go.

Flying is very different type of experience than cruise with respect to a virus. With flying you will get off the plane when you get to your destination after a short time in the air, with a ship, that is a very different probability. You may not be able to get off the ship at your destination or at the scheduled departure time. You might not get out of your stateroom, So, flying yes, cruise ships, maybe again in a year or two, no rush, and the trip is from England through the Baltic Sea.

But linking the two together as having the same risk profile is failure of attribution behavioral bias.

sportsguy's opinion
Old 04-27-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
It should not be referred to as the "Chinese Virus - it is COVID-19. If it is you should call the flu 100 years ago the American virus because it possibly originated in Kansas.
Actually, historians think that the Spanish Flu - the "flu 100 years ago" - originated in China. 1918 Flu Pandemic That Killed 50 Million Originated in China, Historians Say

Quote:
The deadly "Spanish flu" claimed more lives than World War I, which ended the same year the pandemic struck. Now, new research is placing the flu's emergence in a forgotten episode of World War I: the shipment of Chinese laborers across Canada in sealed train cars.

Historian Mark Humphries of Canada's Memorial University of Newfoundland says that newly unearthed records confirm that one of the side stories of the war—the mobilization of 96,000 Chinese laborers to work behind the British and French lines on World War I's Western Front—may have been the source of the pandemic.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:14 AM
Thumbs up Fly...yes

We will definitely fly, with masks of course...
We will never cruise again...
Old 04-27-2020, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Since our next cruise departs from Buenos Aires, Argentina, I guess we'll be doing both..
Cough Cough Sneeze..
Wouldn't canceling be a better decision ?
Old 04-27-2020, 06:30 AM
Sage

Nobody knows where the Spanish Flu originated. There are several theories, including China. However, there is substantial evidence that COVID-19 originated In China. In the future, please try to avoid strawman arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post

Last edited by biker1; 04-27-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:36 AM

We are Sandals people and will fly. We never cruise anymore as meeting people and staying in one place is more appealing. We were supposed to be in Jamaica now but have rescheduled fo July and of course we will fly.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
When it's truly over, yes to both. The last really major pandemic was 100 years ago. That's pretty good odds. When cruising, however, I will only do it with an outside balcony room. I can't imagine being trapped in an inside cabin for 2-3 weeks.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, flying, people, covid, fly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.