Yankee Trails total disapontment

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Gold member
Default Yankee Trails total disapontment

On the way from Rural King, all was perfect . Picked up and safely delivered by a wonderful driver.

After cruise we waited outside of cruise port in Fort Lauderdale . Not a problem. Waiting for a Yankee Trails bus. Not seeing one, I was called by a driver that he was there. Really ?
He was in a 14 person van. It had the name Beaches all over it.

Took us all over Fort Lauderdale for 2 /2 hours before we were on our way back to the Villages. The seats were hard and uncomfortable, water leaked from the roof and we had to pull 9ver twice so the driver could close the door because it didn't work. The air conditioner didn't work either. This was a total disaster ,I called the main number, swit h3d to a guy named Ed, he never called me back, of course he won't. This was a disaster trip.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:50 PM
Platinum member

Sorry to hear that. We have used YT many times and all with great drivers and very clean, problem free buses with no problems. Normally they use their own marked buses. I'm just wondering if maybe one of their regular coaches was having mechanical problems and they had to find a spare with another company. Ed has always been pleasant to work with. We are scheduled for a cruise in March to Ft. Lauderdale and have reserved YT. We'll see how that goes and will report.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Good morning. I think you are misreading what OP said. I'm pretty sure she meant only that the return trip home was a total disaster not the cruise part. A van without identifiable information even a paper sign that it is Yankee Trails, a leaking roof, a door that doesn't work (major safety issue), no air conditioning, 2.5 hours to get home, no apology and no refund or discount? I'd call that a total disaster too.

I agree. We, too, have recently had an excellent experience with YT, but I think the OP has a valid complaint. She was only relating her experience and has a right to do so. I hope she has requested a refund for what sounds like unacceptable service. Don’t give up, OP. Please come back to let us know if YT makes things right.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

They are from my neck of the woods up north and I have been using them for years. They are the BEST and we are happy that they are here. We have used them and will continue to.

OP go to their office on CR466 or call their (518) number.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Platinum member
Default Please call Ed again.

I have always been very happy with their service between here and Port Canaveral. Ed has always been there when the bus departed and returned. I think if you would call again, and ask to speak to Ed, he will answer. He must not have gotten your first message.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Good morning. I think you are misreading what OP said. I'm pretty sure she meant only that the return trip home was a total disaster not the cruise part. A van without identifiable information even a paper sign that it is Yankee Trails, a leaking roof, a door that doesn't work (major safety issue), no air conditioning, 2.5 hours before starting the trip home, no apology and no refund or discount? I'd call that a total disaster too.
Yes exactly. I was referring to our return trip back. I also need to clarify that we drove all over Ft Lauderdale cruiseport for over 2 hours. Back and forth from from ship to the next. Then all the traffic with people leaving the port and the new cruisers coming in.

We owned a business for many years. We know customer service. Yes people do make mistakes but a good business takes ownership for a mishap. Still no call from Ed, and I wrote corporate.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Missypie, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. We used Yankee Trails for a Miami cruise a year ago. The trip down was perfect. It was another story on the return however. Before we even saw the bus, we got a call from the driver that he had just arrived in the port. We were the first to board the bus at about 7:25 am in Miami. Wow! This is going to be great! Home in time to see the football game! Not so fast….. We then spent the next 4 – yes FOUR - hours driving around both the Miami port and the Ft. Lauderdale port looking for passengers. We had one of YT’s large white busses with their name all over it in large print so that was not an issue. The bus driver, Frank, was trying to call people to locate them. Either they had their cell turned off, were so deaf that they couldn’t heard the phone ring or, in one instance, the driver was given the passenger’s HOME phone. Boy! That was a lot of help, huh?! Apparently, these people were both deaf and blind. It would be impossible to miss this bus if you were at least half looking out for it. I give the driver a lot of credit. He never lost his cool even when some of the passengers were yelling at him about how long it took to be picked up. Hey! Why the hell didn’t you answer one of the dozen calls the driver made to you? Don’t tell me he didn’t call you because my husband and I were sitting right there watching him make the calls. We didn’t leave Ft. Lauderdale until just after 11:30 am for the trip back to The Villages.
We didn’t have the issues you did regarding the condition of the bus. Our bus was in good working order. Would I use them again? Sure. Gotta try it at least once more. (And we will come this April.) Hopefully the next time we won’t have a bunch of people who don’t follow instructions and they will actually have their cell phone handy and turned on in order to give the bus driver a fighting chance of making contact so pick up can be in a timely manner. Actually making the effort to look for that big, white YT bus wouldn’t hurt either!
I think you definitely have a legitimate beef with the condition of the bus, so if I were you, I’d call corporate. It was my impression that Ed just checked off names and herded everyone on at the 2 local stops at the start of the trip. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We use Yankee Trails for cruises. We also know them from living in the Northeast, so we were no stranger to them.

Our experience was to arrive back at Ft. Lauderdale off the cruise and consult the paperwork we had been given by YT. It plainly states PLEASE HAVE YOUR CELL PHONE TURNED ON SO THAT THE BUS DRIVER CAN CALL YOU. We sat outside and waited for a call. Frank, the driver, called and told us to turn to the left and walk to the end of the pavement and wait for him there, which we did. Then we received a frantic call telling us he could not reach people because their phones were turned off, would we, or I, go back to the departure building and see if we could round up the people wearing a Yankee Trails sticker on their clothing. Yes, I would and I did. I found a couple and told them what was happening, she said she would take the luggage to the bus area and he offered to help me round up the people. We found a group and told them to turn to the left and walk to the end of the pavement and the bus would be there. Then all hell broke loose ............ "we are not walking all that way for the bus tell him he has to come here". I have probably the shortest fuse in history and my reply was very abrupt and to the point, which got them up off their backsides and pulling their luggage to the bus.

I have come to the conclusion that OLD people can be the rudest people or the sweetest people, and there were some rude people in that group!!! The bus driver put up with a lot of sxxt from these old people that day because they did not follow the directions on their paperwork.

To the O.P. Somewhere on their business card is a telephone number which will get you into the office in NY. You might try that and see if you can talk to someone there.

By the way Ed F. is GREAT, sees each bus off and hands out the paperwork and tells you what to do to get the return bus. OP Call him again and let him know of your frustration.

NO I DO NOT WORK FOR YANKEE TRAILS!!!!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Gold member

Ok folks , update.

Ed Finkle from YT called us today. He was very nice and wanted to hear the whole thing. So I will continue to keep you updated on this. His response to us was good. Will use them again.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Gold member

They definitely have issues. Most of them are with customers that don't turn on their phones or give home phone numbers instead of cell numbers .

I don't have the answer either, that's why I pay for their service but if Idon't get what 8ve paid for, then I'm not a happy customer.

I'll keep you all update

Thank you.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I agree. We, too, have recently had an excellent experience with YT, but I think the OP has a valid complaint. She was only relating her experience and has a right to do so. I hope she has requested a refund for what sounds like unacceptable service. Don’t give up, OP. Please come back to let us know if YT makes things right.
If the Bus was taken in conjunction with a cruise booked with YT no refund will happen as the bus was FREE!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Veteran member

See my post on Yankee Trails Bus posted today 1/24 /19 Our experience from Miami was Outstanding. Things can happen from cruise ships. Ours was 3 hrs late coming into port. It was supposed to arrive at 4 am but didn't get there until 7am. This made us late getting off by about 45 minutes and we were in such a hurry not to miss the bus that I picked up the wrong suitcase ( I need some excuse!) (see the full story in my post). Finally got our cell phone working ( after a few tries I needed to power down and on again) and called the driver. He was there waiting and said we don't leave passengers > that was a big relief because I was really concerned. Would I use them again (that drive and parking isn't fun and free is pretty good) - YES!
Old 01-25-2019, 06:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
I also need to clarify that we drove all over Ft Lauderdale cruiseport for over 2 hours. Back and forth from from ship to the next. Then all the traffic with people leaving the port and the new cruisers coming in.
Port Everglades is a nightmare for traffic, often with no direct route from one dock to another, and the buses have to wait for a slot to open up so will usually carry on to pick up from the next ship rather than just wait in line.

Add in passengers who refuse to leave the ship until they can see the bus, forgetting that there are lines to get through customs and immigration.

We have never had to wait long for YT from getting off the ship to getting out of the port, but every minute can be frustrating when you just want to get home.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Talking The Answer

I believe the answer is that a passenger has 15 minutes for the bus to wait and then it leaves if they are not at the right spot..period. We have been held up a number of times by people who have no consideration and they should be warned of the consequences for being late. One time time in Rome on a tour van with about 14 passengers we had one couple that always was late returning and it was beyond annoying. Finally at one stop they came back 1/2 hour late and two guys on the van told them to get off. When they resisted they threatened them and they got off. all clapped. There has to be consequences for acts of disrespect for others and it should carry to all circumstances.
Closed Thread

Tags
driver, called, work, lauderdale, fort

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.