Aldi's Korma India Simmer Sauce

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage
Default Aldi's Korma India Simmer Sauce

I was thinking about a good way to steam vegetables and dip them in a sauce. It's good for you, easy to cook and clean up later.

I have a pretty good idea how dipping sauces for Japanese and Chinese dishes should taste but not too many other cuisines. I got a bottle of Kikkoman Roasted Garlic Teriyaki Sauce that is perfect for dipping.

I bought Aldi's Korma India Simmer Sauce, and dipped steamed veggies and chicken in the sauce. I can't describe the flavor but I like it.

How can I make it better? Is there any other seasoning I should add to the sauce?

Do you have any dipping sauces I should try? I'm not looking for anything that takes a lot of work.

I know how to google but I think if someone actually makes a dish or buys a sauce rather then just looking it up it their recommendation carries more weight.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:52 AM

Is it a curry type flavor Tom? Peanutty?

Honestly I dip everything in Russian dressing these days. Not interesting, I know.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage

This is what you need to make it from scratch-[see below]---I can't describe what it tastes like.

That's just it. Buy the sauce, steam the rest---and dip in. I think the sauce is 80% of the flavor---for a sandwich the Bread is 80% of the flavor.

½ tsp cumin seeds
2 or 3 whole peppercorns
16 fresh curry leaves (if dried, use 48 leaves)
2 sticks cinnamon
3 whole cloves
4 cardamom pods, slightly bruised (use the side of your Chefs knife)

1-2 tbsp water
1 tbsp ground cashew nuts
¼ tsp turmeric
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup coconut milk
Method
Heat the oil in a sauce pan. Add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pods and cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat until seeds begin to pop.
Stir in onion and cook for about 10 minutes until golden and soft.
Add ginger and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
Optionally, stir in ground cashew nuts, chilies, and coriander mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
Add turmeric and chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil (there may not be much liquid, add some water or broth if necessary) and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft.
Remove and discard the cinnamon sticks and transfer to a food processor. Process until smooth.
Return to the pan and add the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 minutes.
The sauce is now done. You can serve it immediately, spooning over meat or vegetables, or reserve it until later, heating it up before serving.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:17 PM

Yeah, very typical sort of generic Indian ingredients. Other than tomatoes and EVOO of course.....you should get some Paneer (Indian Cheese) and try it with that....
Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I love Indian food and I also love Thai curry. Publix has an English section of foods, in that section they have a row of prepared bottled Indian cooking sauces from mild to very hot. You can use these on meats and chickens and veg. I used to make my own from Curry Powder, but the bottled sauces are so good that now I just buy them and make up my own dishes.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
sauce, dipping, good, aldis, sauces

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.