All About Beef

All About Beef

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
The best grade is prime and they have a lot of marbelling. Be careful not to overcook. I do not put salt on my steaks prior to cooking because I think it dries the meat.
But no vegetables at all? How about baked potato?

Old 12-28-2018, 11:36 AM

It used to be you could go to restaurant and order a steak " Pittsburg Rare ". Highly seasoned and seared black on the outside and blood rare in the middle. I loved them that way, but the restaurant needed the right gas grille to produce the heat to cook them in that manner. Put a 500 degree Russet Potato next to it with butter, sour cream, chives and crumpled bacon; together with fresh steamed spinach and you were eating like a king. Beef, in my opinion needs to be either cooked rare to medium rare; or braised/stewed until falling apart to have a good flavor.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Platinum member

I love Pittsburgh. Only eat beef rare never braised/stewed. I am a beef eater!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage

Yup. Sous vide. Finish steaks in a red hot cast iron skillet. I did a bone-in prime rib for Christmas that way, but finished it on the grill at 500 degrees. Yum.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A few years back I bought some beautiful (cheap) steaks. Looked great, even cooked great. Terrible! They were sold at our local stores and were from another country.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Yup. Sous vide. Finish steaks in a red hot cast iron skillet. I did a bone-in prime rib for Christmas that way, but finished it on the grill at 500 degrees. Yum.
Best way to get any beef from ground to strip a perfect rare to however you like it. Either use a torch, or cast iron to get that perfect crust. Any protein will come out perfect, as well as eggs Benedict for 20. High end restaurants have been using SousVide for years, before it became affordable for the public
Old 12-29-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Recently we picked up four steaks at one of our local stores. The per pound price was very reasonable and the T Bones were a beautiful cut of meat. Christmas day I fired up the grill and cooked those beauties. The steaks were slightly tough but more important the steaks had virtually no taste no flavor at all. What could have been the problem ??
Cheap steaks usually taste like cheap steaks.

Retail grocers, butcher-shops and restaurants generally only sell the three highest grades of In quality order they are USDA Prime, USDA Choice, or USDA Select. The best steak houses only serve Prime and/or Choice. Select is generally the most common grade sold in grocery stores. That’s because it is cheaper, very lean, and has less fat marbling making it tougher to chew with less juiciness and flavor.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Recently we picked up four steaks at one of our local stores. The per pound price was very reasonable and the T Bones were a beautiful cut of meat. Christmas day I fired up the grill and cooked those beauties. The steaks were slightly tough but more important the steaks had virtually no taste no flavor at all. What could have been the problem ??
I followed up my post with a little research. I won't name any particular store but any store that uses black trays to display their own brands are usually quality meat ( a little more costly)... If you see meat displayed in white trays I suggest you pass on these steaks.
This meat might look great but if you purchase them, you will find they are tastless and tough. This meat primarily is imported from Mexico. Remember, white tray, run away !!!!
Old 01-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Gold member

We had a T-bone yesterday in one of the black trays, cooked medium rare on a very hot gas grill, allowed to rest under foil for fifteen minutes while the salad was made and potatoes nuked. The T-bone looked good, but was on sale for a very low price, and I was afraid there was a good reason. I was right; it was as tough as round steak (even the tenderloin side). I ate about one-third of my share, then cut most of it into half inch pieces for the dog to enjoy with his dry dog food. Another lesson on "getting what you pay for".
Closed Thread

Tags
steaks, slightly, tough, beauties, grill