Anyone Frying Their Turkey Today?

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Default Anyone Frying Their Turkey Today?

Just curious if anyone is frying their turkey today for Thanksgiving. I have a small bird that would love to get fried. I hate to see all that oil go to waste.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran member
Default Oil-less turkey fryer

Go out and buy one of these. No oil to buy. Cooks a moist turkey safely and quickly.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-10101480-08101480-Oil-Less-Infrared/dp/B001HBI7D8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353596717&sr=8-1&keywords=Infrared+Turkey+Fryer]Amazon.com: Char-Broil 10101480/08101480 The Big Easy Oil-Less Infrared Turkey Fryer: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 11-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

I am not today .... but have deep fried many a turkey. It has some advantages and some disadvantages.

you can fry a bird quickly ( I use 4 mins per pound at 350 degrees) and love the taste of an injected turkey ..... down side(s), no pan faun / drippings to make a proper gravy and you can not "stuff" it for those that like in-the-bird-stuffing. AND unless you are cooking several (or for the neighborhood) or have a cool dark place to store the filtered oil after use .... the oil cost for a one time / one bird is costly.

Three keys to safe turkey frying:

- outside / uncovered / hard surface area only.

- take your still wrapped turkey, put it in your cooking pot, fill it with water until the bird is just covered, mark the level and subtract 1", fill with oil to that mark and then heat oil. This will keep you from having the oil boiling over, when you lower the bird into the pot and cause you to need to call 911

- cut the skin between leg/thigh and body to allow more even cooking

- always use the supplied long hook to lower and remove the bird

- make sure the outside and cavity of the bird is as dry as possible and lower SLOWLY. extract the same way allowing bird to drain as it is being raised.

- STAY at the scene of the crime!

- enjoy!!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
I am not today .... but have deep fried many a turkey. It has some advantages and some disadvantages.

you can fry a bird quickly ( I use 4 mins per pound at 350 degrees) and love the taste of an injected turkey ..... down side(s), no pan faun / drippings to make a proper gravy and you can not "stuff" it for those that like in-the-bird-stuffing. AND unless you are cooking several (or for the neighborhood) or have a cool dark place to store the filtered oil after use .... the oil cost for a one time / one bird is costly.

Three keys to safe turkey frying:

- outside / uncovered / hard surface area only.

- take your still wrapped turkey, put it in your cooking pot, fill it with water until the bird is just covered, mark the level and subtract 1", fill with oil to that mark and then heat oil. This will keep you from having the oil boiling over, when you lower the bird into the pot and cause you to need to call 911

- cut the skin between leg/thigh and body to allow more even cooking

- always use the supplied long hook to lower and remove the bird

- make sure the outside and cavity of the bird is as dry as possible and lower SLOWLY. extract the same way allowing bird to drain as it is being raised.

- STAY at the scene of the crime!

- enjoy!!
Excellent post....! In my former 20+ year career as a Professional Firefighter I've been to a few fires from not doing this safely.....sad how a house fire tends to ruin a holiday. Stay safe my friends and Enjoy!!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I'm pan frying my turkey. Yummy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.