Best, Most Durable Non-Stick Fry Pan

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Best, Most Durable Non-Stick Fry Pan

I'm tired of crappy non-stick fry pans that I have to replace every 6-12 months. I'm looking for something that is very durable. They all work great when they are new but food starts sticking after a while.

Please read the title of this post and its contents carefully. I am looking for non-stick. Please don't answer with posts about cast iron skillets.

I'd like something that's 14" with a lid, but 12-12.5 inches would also be considered.

I don't care if your mother and grandmother swore by cast iron. I don't care that you use cast iron and have one for fifty years and it still works great. I don't care that cast iron is preferred by professional chefs. I am looking for extremely durable, NON-STICK.

It seems that so many reviews are about the best value. That seems to me to translate into something cheap that lasts a bit longer than other cheap pans.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Gold member

There are a number on Google.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
There are a number on Google.
How do you know which ones is BEST? I don't think the OP wants to have to buy each one to determine which one is the best.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

MY own curiosity was piqued enough for me to look at Amazon's own recommendations. It looks like T-Fal may be the winner. It is cheap enough to buy, try, and toss if you don't like it.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm tired of crappy non-stick fry pans that I have to replace every 6-12 months. I'm looking for something that is very durable. They all work great when they are new but food starts sticking after a while.

Please read the title of this post and its contents carefully. I am looking for non-stick. Please don't answer with posts about cast iron skillets.

I'd like something that's 14" with a lid, but 12-12.5 inches would also be considered.

I don't care if your mother and grandmother swore by cast iron. I don't care that you use cast iron and have one for fifty years and it still works great. I don't care that cast iron is preferred by professional chefs. I am looking for extremely durable, NON-STICK.

It seems that so many reviews are about the best value. That seems to me to translate into something cheap that lasts a bit longer than other cheap pans.
I have NEVER found a pan that lasts forever and I have given in to defeat, I buy cheap $12 pans and throw them out when they are done.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
MY own curiosity was piqued enough for me to look at Amazon's own recommendations. It looks like T-Fal may be the winner. It is cheap enough to buy, try, and toss if you don't like it.
T-Fal wins in some reviews but I understand that there are some that last a very long time and you can even use metal utensils in them.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have NEVER found a pan that lasts forever and I have given in to defeat, I buy cheap $12 pans and throw them out when they are done.
It has always been my philosophy, no matter how broke we were when we were young, to use the best foods and best equipment. Otherwise why do all that work if you don't get the best results?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
T-Fal wins in some reviews but I understand that there are some that last a very long time and you can even use metal utensils in them.
Let me know after you have tried one or two. Williams-Sonoma is my favorite kitchen store. It is expensive there but the ambience throughout the store is so wonderful that it makes me want to go home to do some cooking (and I don't even like to cook!)

You are starting a good thread here.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:

I purchased a American made All Clad 12" with cover from Amazon 2 months ago for same reasons you stated. For me it was worth the investment as I use it often. I had a 12" Cuisinant that was supposed to be a great non stick but it stuck terribly. So far I'm very pleased with new one.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Gold member

Check out the Farberware Millennium non-stick fry pan.
I have gotten 15 plus years of use from them, since I don’t abuse them!
What I believe really breaks down non-stick coatings is using too high a heat level.
The Millenium pans do not require high burner settings due to their construction.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Sage

The thing that bothers me with cheap, non-stick fry pans is that after they wear out in a year or two, they go to the land-fill and that bothers me, but I don't have an answer.

Last edited by Carla B; 06-20-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Check out the Farberware Millennium non-stick fry pan.
I have gotten 15 plus years of use from them, since I don’t abuse them!
What I believe really breaks down non-stick coatings is using too high a heat level.
The Millenium pans do not require high burner settings due to their construction.
PTFE (Teflon) breaks down under high heat, but ceramic does not.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:25 PM

The All Clad mentioned before is by far the best pan. They can cost upwards of $125.

I have been using a $25 copper pan from TJ Maxx for over a year now. Best inexpensive non-stick I've used at home and it still looks brand new. NO TEFLON! .

Never put cold water on a hot copper pan, they warp. That is the only thing you need to know
Old 06-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

I don't think that any non-stick pan you buy will last very long. I read somewhere that the best thing to do is to buy cheap non-stick pans from discount stores and just throw them away when they are no longer non-stick. Stores like Bealls and TJ Max always seem to have a pan for sale that is extremely inexpensive.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:45 AM
Veteran member

Hard anodized pans aren't made with Teflon and should last longer.
Hard Anodized Cookware vs. Non-stick Cookware: what is the best non stick cookware?

My main set is hard anodized, but they're heavy. I prefer this T-Fal deep cooker which is still in good shape after 4 years of almost daily use. Just don't run cold water on it while it's hot or it tends to warp. I prefer to wash by hand so have never put it in the dishwasher. I don't have metal utensils.

Amazon.com: T-fal C96933 Excite Nonstick Thermo-Spot Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe PFOA Free Jumbo Cooker Cookware, 4.5-Quart, Blue: Kitchen & Dining
Closed Thread

Tags
cast, iron, non-stick, durable, care

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.