Best, Most Durable Non-Stick Fry Pan

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-20-2018, 05:53 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,516
Thanks: 1
Thanked 171 Times in 56 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

Unfortunately the correct answer is the one you don't want to hear. Cast iron seasoned and washed correctly is truly non stick and lasts forever. I have a 14 inch, 12 inch and two 10 inch that I have been using for 40 plus years. The only other non stick I use is a 10 inch copper clad for fried eggs. And that is because the cast iron is just to heavy for me to flip them in the pan. And by only using the copper clad for eggs and using no utensils in it, it to seems to last forever.

Every other kind of clad pan will get almost invisible scratches in the finish and then stuff will stick. If you are very careful, only use wooden utensils, cool before washing, they will last a long time, but eventually the minor invisible scratches happen and then they will not work.


Cast iron I can use any type utensil, drop it, finish all cooking in the oven, plunge it in cold water when it is scalding hot, it is pretty much indestructible. And there is no other pan that I can put on a burner on high heat, leave it for 10 minutes, drop a seasoned steak or delicate scallops into it and get a perfect sear every time. Then finish it in the oven.

If you learn how to care for and cook with cast iron you will never need anything else.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #17  
Old 06-20-2018, 06:06 AM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,520
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,442 Times in 626 Posts
Default

Are Nonstick Pans Safe?

Quote:
The Biggest Danger with Nonstick Cookware

However, even without PFOA, overheating these pans can still create problems. When the pans get too hot, compounds in the coating can be released as fumes. These fumes can cause flu-like symptoms in humans and can actually be lethal to birds. (Many bird owners choose not to even keep nonstick cookware in the house, just to prevent accidents.) Overheating the pans can also make the coating less effective.

Polytetrafluoroethylene starts to dissociate at about 300 degrees Celsius or about 600 degrees Fahrenheit, releasing toxic fumes into the air. An empty pan can reach 500 degrees F in less than 2 minutes. Cooking foods over a high burner can also put you in the danger zone.

Although you probably wouldn’t overheat the pan on purpose, stuff happens. The phone rings or someone comes to the door and a pan gets left on the burner by accident.
Like it or not, using a well-taken care of cast iron pan (particularly compared to the cheaper non-stick varieties)...is still the way to go.
  #18  
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 AM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,520
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,442 Times in 626 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Unfortunately the correct answer is the one you don't want to hear. Cast iron seasoned and washed correctly is truly non stick and lasts forever. I have a 14 inch, 12 inch and two 10 inch that I have been using for 40 plus years. The only other non stick I use is a 10 inch copper clad for fried eggs. And that is because the cast iron is just to heavy for me to flip them in the pan. And by only using the copper clad for eggs and using no utensils in it, it to seems to last forever.

Every other kind of clad pan will get almost invisible scratches in the finish and then stuff will stick. If you are very careful, only use wooden utensils, cool before washing, they will last a long time, but eventually the minor invisible scratches happen and then they will not work.


Cast iron I can use any type utensil, drop it, finish all cooking in the oven, plunge it in cold water when it is scalding hot, it is pretty much indestructible. And there is no other pan that I can put on a burner on high heat, leave it for 10 minutes, drop a seasoned steak or delicate scallops into it and get a perfect sear every time. Then finish it in the oven.

If you learn how to care for and cook with cast iron you will never need anything else.
YEP!
  #19  
Old 06-20-2018, 06:12 AM
karostay's Avatar
karostay karostay is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine /
Posts: 2,469
Thanks: 58
Thanked 991 Times in 375 Posts
Default

Nothing like cooking on well seasoned cast iron
When properly maintained virtually stick free ..All I use
Everything else is a gimmick
__________________
Don't take life Too Serious ..It isn't permanent
  #20  
Old 06-20-2018, 07:05 AM
DeanFL's Avatar
DeanFL DeanFL is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 95
Thanked 625 Times in 200 Posts
Default

very topical thread here. We have salmon for dinner about 3x weekly. We both love it and consider it one of the healthiest (and yummiest) meals.

Typically get a pound piece-as thick as possible at either Aldis or Walmart neigh market- fresh,with skin on...and farm raised, normally from Chile.

I prepare the salmon by slicing into 4-5 oz pieces, so 2 dinners for 2 per lb (normally 7.99lb) Dry off each with paper towel, then a drop of olive oil on the non-skin side. A bit of salt on my piece then Mrs Dash and a spinkle of basil.

Have always used a teflon-type pan, but 8mos ago bought a white ceramic pan as the teflon ones seemed to last less than a year before...sticking and very tough to clean.

The ceramic pan started to behave like the old teflon, food sticking etc. OUR MAIN PROBLEM is ELECTRIC COOK TOP (South of 466a). I like to sear the fish or veggies for stir-fry a bit and heat is med-hi. The elec seems to focus hot spot in the center of the pan causing a very hot spot there. So just last week shopped for a new pan - got, at WM, T-fal 12" 'Pro-glide Heat Mastery' Seems to be a thicker pan all around, and hopefully will distribute heat better. Time will tell.

Would love to cook with gas-or propane, and use cast iron, but...no-go.
__________________
I have CDO. It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order - AS THEY SHOULD BE.
  #21  
Old 06-20-2018, 07:13 AM
KSSunshine KSSunshine is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: McClure
Posts: 121
Thanks: 32
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

No one has mentioned Scanpan and they are excellent. I've had two for more than 7 years. Just don't use the sprays on it. The #1 Rated Scanpan Review Professional and Classic Cookware
  #22  
Old 06-20-2018, 07:21 AM
EPutnam1863 EPutnam1863 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN
Posts: 543
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Are Nonstick Pans Safe?

Like it or not, using a well-taken care of cast iron pan (particularly compared to the cheaper non-stick varieties)...is still the way to go.
When we lived in Louisiana, a neighbor, born and raised in that state, taught me how to make roux. She explained that cast iron pans were the only pans to use for practically any kind of cooking.

You can find them in antique shops.
  #23  
Old 06-20-2018, 07:23 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,516
Thanks: 1
Thanked 171 Times in 56 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

And you can find new ones at Ace or almost any hardware store. And new is fine, just follow the directions for seasoning.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #24  
Old 06-20-2018, 07:31 AM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,807
Thanks: 563
Thanked 434 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
No one has mentioned Scanpan and they are excellent. I've had two for more than 7 years. Just don't use the sprays on it. The #1 Rated Scanpan Review Professional and Classic Cookware
Thanks for posting on the Scanpan. Will definitely try the frying pan. However, I do have a question. What is the finish on the outside of the pan? Most frying pans are stainless or silver metal finish on the outside and I find mine get burned and nasty and can never be cleaned.
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  #25  
Old 06-20-2018, 07:50 AM
skip0358's Avatar
skip0358 skip0358 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,248
Thanks: 54
Thanked 232 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Copper Chef wins for us hands down. Wish they would come ot with the pots now !
__________________
Patchogue, NY; Village of Bonita Sept.09
  #26  
Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 AM
KSSunshine KSSunshine is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: McClure
Posts: 121
Thanks: 32
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Thanks for posting on the Scanpan. Will definitely try the frying pan. However, I do have a question. What is the finish on the outside of the pan? Most frying pans are stainless or silver metal finish on the outside and I find mine get burned and nasty and can never be cleaned.
The bottom on the pan has "ceramic titanium". Not sure exactly what that is or how much of the bottom on the pan is "titanium" but I don't have problems with the metal finish. The only problems I've experience is in using the sprays such as Pam (not needed or good for the finish); and then my husband "soaked" the pan. (He's old school). Neither are good. A quick wash is all that's needed as nothing sticks.
  #27  
Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,807
Thanks: 563
Thanked 434 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
The bottom on the pan has "ceramic titanium". Not sure exactly what that is or how much of the bottom on the pan is "titanium" but I don't have problems with the metal finish. The only problems I've experience is in using the sprays such as Pam (not needed or good for the finish); and then my husband "soaked" the pan. (He's old school). Neither are good. A quick wash is all that's needed as nothing sticks.
Thanks...............
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  #28  
Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 614 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Unfortunately the correct answer is the one you don't want to hear. Cast iron seasoned and washed correctly is truly non stick and lasts forever. I have a 14 inch, 12 inch and two 10 inch that I have been using for 40 plus years. The only other non stick I use is a 10 inch copper clad for fried eggs. And that is because the cast iron is just to heavy for me to flip them in the pan. And by only using the copper clad for eggs and using no utensils in it, it to seems to last forever.

Every other kind of clad pan will get almost invisible scratches in the finish and then stuff will stick. If you are very careful, only use wooden utensils, cool before washing, they will last a long time, but eventually the minor invisible scratches happen and then they will not work.


Cast iron I can use any type utensil, drop it, finish all cooking in the oven, plunge it in cold water when it is scalding hot, it is pretty much indestructible. And there is no other pan that I can put on a burner on high heat, leave it for 10 minutes, drop a seasoned steak or delicate scallops into it and get a perfect sear every time. Then finish it in the oven.

If you learn how to care for and cook with cast iron you will never need anything else.

And here we go.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #29  
Old 06-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Carla B Carla B is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,014
Thanks: 16
Thanked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Default

The first and only time I used a cast-iron skillet on a glass electric cooktop it etched a mark in the glass. So back to the subject.
  #30  
Old 06-20-2018, 12:35 PM
Henryk's Avatar
Henryk Henryk is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,307
Thanks: 45
Thanked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
very topical thread here. We have salmon for dinner about 3x weekly. We both love it and consider it one of the healthiest (and yummiest) meals.

Typically get a pound piece-as thick as possible at either Aldis or Walmart neigh market- fresh,with skin on...and farm raised, normally from Chile.

I prepare the salmon by slicing into 4-5 oz pieces, so 2 dinners for 2 per lb (normally 7.99lb) Dry off each with paper towel, then a drop of olive oil on the non-skin side. A bit of salt on my piece then Mrs Dash and a spinkle of basil.

Have always used a teflon-type pan, but 8mos ago bought a white ceramic pan as the teflon ones seemed to last less than a year before...sticking and very tough to clean.

The ceramic pan started to behave like the old teflon, food sticking etc. OUR MAIN PROBLEM is ELECTRIC COOK TOP (South of 466a). I like to sear the fish or veggies for stir-fry a bit and heat is med-hi. The elec seems to focus hot spot in the center of the pan causing a very hot spot there. So just last week shopped for a new pan - got, at WM, T-fal 12" 'Pro-glide Heat Mastery' Seems to be a thicker pan all around, and hopefully will distribute heat better. Time will tell.

Would love to cook with gas-or propane, and use cast iron, but...no-go.
I don't quite understand. I use my cast iron on electric stovetop with no problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
cast, iron, non-stick, durable, care

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.