Blueberry Pie

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Veteran member
Default Blueberry Pie

Does anyone have a foolproof 2 crust blueberry pie recipe? Due to the blueberries and/or me my pies come out different every time.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:26 PM

My foolproof method is excellent has worked everytime for over a decade Publix Bluberry pies are delicious and i have no kitchen mess .......... ----------sorry icouldnt resist
Old 08-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
Does anyone have a foolproof 2 crust blueberry pie recipe? Due to the blueberries and/or me my pies come out different every time.
My recipe doesn't have a top crust, but it is so good you won't miss it.

OPEN-FACE FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE
For this pie, one cup of blueberries is cooked to form a syrup. The remaining 3 cups of berries are heated in the syrup just enough to turn them a rich purple color. The filling is then spooned into a prebaked crust. The pie comes together in minutes, and by dessert time it will be set and ready to eat.

1 9-inch pie crust, baked according to package instructions and cooled

FILLING INGREDIENTS:
4 cups of blueberries
½ cup water plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Pinch of salt
Whipped cream (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS:
Place one cup blueberries and ½ cup water in medium saucepan. Cover and bring to boil on medium heat.
Meanwhile, combine cornstarch , sugar, salt and remaining 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
When the berries come to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until the berries have begun to burst. Still stirring, add the cornstarch mixture and the lemon juice. Simmer for a minute more until it starts to thicken.
Immediately remove from heat and fold in the remaining 3 cups blueberries. Spoon into baked crust and let it sit at room temperature about 2 hours before serving. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

When you sat "different every time", could you elaborate a bit more? Is it problems with the crust, to sweet, to tart, not cooked through, what kind of problems are you having?

Blueberries tend to be sweeter then many fruits and a common mistake is adding to much sugar. I always eat a few berries before adding sugar and adjust as needed. Most recipes call for a cup of sugar but this is usually to much, especially if the berries are sweet. Also because of the density of the filling, less air space then an apple pie, it takes a hotter oven to cook the bottom crust. I use 425 for about 45 minutes. This will also cause you to burn the top crust, so I always use an egg wash and cover the edges with foil after 15 or 20 minutes. I use cornstarch or flower to thicken and pat with about two tbls of butter and juice from one medium lemon before adding the top crust. Always add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg as well.

I have also used the method of a single crust as jblum suggests and they are also very good, just not like mamma used to make.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Bride and I have been picking wild blueberries for the last few weeks and have made about 20 pies for guests.

5 Cups Blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons lemon juice.

Use stick free pot or frying pan.
Put 3/4 cup sugar, add cinnamon, add cornstarch,mix well in pan.
Add all the Blueberries, using low heat mix well until it starts to boil, add lemon juice. Slow boil only 2 minutes.
Put into bottom crust, add full top crust. Beat one egg white, coat the top crust.
Bake for 22 minutes at 350
Let cool for at least 2 hours if you can wait.

If the Blueberries are large, cust back to 4 cups.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran member

Think I will try this today! So many blue berries on sale right now and I do love blu berries
Thanks for the recipe
Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

Thank you for the recipes.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.