Boston brown bread in a can

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 AM
senior citizen senior citizen is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Boston brown bread in a can

Does anyone remember Boston Brown Bread in a can?


B&M Brown Bread with Raisins:


Burnham and Morrill made New Englands Finest Brown Bread with Raisins............sometimes called Boston Brown Bread in a can. Yes, it still comes in a can.

Good for preppers.............or just to have in the pantry during the winter months when the power might go out............ still manufactured in Portland, Maine.

You dont have to be a doomsday prepper to enjoy it with your Boston Baked Beans........

Ingredients
Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Molasses, Dextrose, Rye Flour, Raisins, Whey, Degerminated Yellow Corn Meal, Baking Soda, Buttermilk, Salt, Corn Oil.


99 % FAT FREE

No cholesterol

Ready to serve right out of the can........with cream cheese or whatever..........or even plain, its still very good.

Very moist with the raisins in it. Has calcium and iron.......
  #2  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 AM
gomoho's Avatar
gomoho gomoho is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have fond childhood memories of Boston Brown Bread in a can - thanks for the memory boost!
  #3  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 AM
senior citizen senior citizen is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I have fond childhood memories of Boston Brown Bread in a can - thanks for the memory boost!
You're welcome. Sometimes the simple things in life are remembered.

About a month ago, a young 40 year old friend of ours (our son's old schoolmate) was telling me how she literally brought tears to her dad's eyes when he walked in the door of their home in New Hampshire.........she had spent all day slowly simmering "home made" Boston Baked Beans in a large Dutch oven and served it with the Boston Brown Bread with raisins, from a can..........and you'd think she gave him a million dollars. It was his own mother's recipe that she had made every Sunday after church. They were French Canadians and I guess it's what their family did........it's what her grandmother did, without a doubt, and it brought tears to the son of that lady, now deceased.

When we first came to Vermont in 1970 I learned all about the tradition of making the baked beans on Saturdays....and that was predominately their supper.........no hot dogs, etc. JUST BEANS. Made from scratch.

Back in New Jersey, after my "boyfriend" at the time, told me he loved baked beans, I got a recipe and again, made it from scratch in a Dutch oven........well I made enough for an entire ARMY. I had no idea how much I would end up with.........after soaking the dry beans overnight, etc. I had never ever cooked before. They were tasty, for sure.
But not enough people to devour them.

I later found out his mom just used the canned beans...........ha ha.
So much easier. But, homemade always tastes better. Now I give him Bushes baked beans from a can.
  #4  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 AM
bandsdavis bandsdavis is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 605
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 33 Posts
Default Brown Bread and Baked beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
You're welcome. Sometimes the simple things in life are remembered.

About a month ago, a young 40 year old friend of ours (our son's old schoolmate) was telling me how she literally brought tears to her dad's eyes when he walked in the door of their home in New Hampshire.........she had spent all day slowly simmering "home made" Boston Baked Beans in a large Dutch oven and served it with the Boston Brown Bread with raisins, from a can..........and you'd think she gave him a million dollars. It was his own mother's recipe that she had made every Sunday after church. They were French Canadians and I guess it's what their family did........it's what her grandmother did, without a doubt, and it brought tears to the son of that lady, now deceased.

When we first came to Vermont in 1970 I learned all about the tradition of making the baked beans on Saturdays....and that was predominately their supper.........no hot dogs, etc. JUST BEANS. Made from scratch.

Back in New Jersey, after my "boyfriend" at the time, told me he loved baked beans, I got a recipe and again, made it from scratch in a Dutch oven........well I made enough for an entire ARMY. I had no idea how much I would end up with.........after soaking the dry beans overnight, etc. I had never ever cooked before. They were tasty, for sure.
But not enough people to devour them.

I later found out his mom just used the canned beans...........ha ha.
So much easier. But, homemade always tastes better. Now I give him Bushes baked beans from a can.
I'm also a NH native, and I think the first time I had anything other than home baked beans, hot dogs, and the brown bread you described for Saturday night supper was when I went to college! My folks made it interesting by sometimes using navy (pea) beans and sometimes using yellow eye beans for variety, but other than that, exactly the same. My wife Sue still makes home baked beans using the same recipe from time to time, and so does our daughter! Yesterday, on Sue's birthday, our son called from NYC, and he was all excited because our daughter, who also is in NYC, had just stopped by to drop something off for him, and she brought him some of the beans she had made the day before using, as he put it, "Gram's Recipe"! So the tradition of the greatness of home made baked beans continues with new generations and even outside New England!
  #5  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 AM
jnieman jnieman is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,259
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Smile

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Boston+Bread+in+a+can]Amazon.com: Boston Bread in a can[/ame] Hey guys, you can still buy it on Amazon.com!
  #6  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
senior citizen senior citizen is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
I'm also a NH native, and I think the first time I had anything other than home baked beans, hot dogs, and the brown bread you described for Saturday night supper was when I went to college! My folks made it interesting by sometimes using navy (pea) beans and sometimes using yellow eye beans for variety, but other than that, exactly the same. My wife Sue still makes home baked beans using the same recipe from time to time, and so does our daughter! Yesterday, on Sue's birthday, our son called from NYC, and he was all excited because our daughter, who also is in NYC, had just stopped by to drop something off for him, and she brought him some of the beans she had made the day before using, as he put it, "Gram's Recipe"! So the tradition of the greatness of home made baked beans continues with new generations and even outside New England!
The young woman and her dad were born in Vermont, however, the grandmother and grandfather were born in Quebec, Canada......the other families I mentioned were from Glens Falls, New York and also Vermonters as well did the Saturday night baked beans tradition......

The young friend's dad is actually a neighbor of ours......and he'd rather have his mom's homestyle cooking than a lobster dinner. It truly brought tears to his eyes that his daughter would follow the grandma's recipe for his visit.

So often we wrack our brains to think of something "different" to prepare for guests.......when in reality, they'd much prefer simple home cooking, from their childhoods.

Another neighbor of mine, whose daughter was married to an Air Force General, would tell me that when they'd come to visit, his request was for her simple spaghetti and meatballs for supper..........ditto for his son who was also an Air Force pilot.......like the dad.

Sometimes all this "yuppie food" gets old .

Everyone has a "Gram's Recipe". Thanks for sharing...........
  #7  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
capecodkev capecodkev is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hyannis, MA
Posts: 108
Thanks: 79
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I remember at my grandmothers putting a thin slice of cheedar cheese on top of it, so good.
  #8  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
senior citizen senior citizen is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Amazon.com: Boston Bread in a can Hey guys, you can still buy it on Amazon.com!

YES. When our supermarket no longer carried it.....I did find it at Amazon.com but had to buy a larger quantity which is fine with us.
  #9  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 AM
tpop1's Avatar
tpop1 tpop1 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Posts: 694
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Now I give him Bushes baked beans from a can.
"....now that the romance is gone!!!"
__________________
Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you. -Frank Barron
  #10  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 AM
KathieI's Avatar
KathieI KathieI is offline
Dancing Thyme
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mallory Square
Posts: 5,778
Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I think you can buy it on Vermontcountrystore.com

Me too, we loved it with cream cheese on it on a Sunday evening as a light snack after having our big afternoon dinner.
__________________

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."


(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
  #11  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM
lj410 lj410 is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: I am now a permanent Villager!
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Still available at Publix....just bought some last week
  #12  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM
senior citizen senior citizen is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
"....now that the romance is gone!!!"

Very cute. Fact is that when one makes it from scratch you end up with too much**.....and I'm not into canning.

**for two people. Nice when you have a family to feed.

Last edited by senior citizen; 03-18-2013 at 09:43 AM.
  #13  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Bonny's Avatar
Bonny Bonny is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Village of BonnyBrook
Posts: 4,344
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Boston Brown Bread with butter or cream cheese. Yum !
__________________
Troy, Rochester, Hazel Park, Harbor Beach, Grand Rapids, Michigan
  #14  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
mfp509's Avatar
mfp509 mfp509 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calumet Grove
Posts: 904
Thanks: 12
Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I remember it well!! I did get it at Publix awhile back.
__________________
Older dogs make wonderful pets, too!!
  #15  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Dawn P Dawn P is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default sure do...can we buy it in Florida???

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Does anyone remember Boston Brown Bread in a can?


B&M Brown Bread with Raisins:


Burnham and Morrill made New Englands Finest Brown Bread with Raisins............sometimes called Boston Brown Bread in a can. Yes, it still comes in a can.

Good for preppers.............or just to have in the pantry during the winter months when the power might go out............ still manufactured in Portland, Maine.

You dont have to be a doomsday prepper to enjoy it with your Boston Baked Beans........

Ingredients
Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Molasses, Dextrose, Rye Flour, Raisins, Whey, Degerminated Yellow Corn Meal, Baking Soda, Buttermilk, Salt, Corn Oil.


99 % FAT FREE

No cholesterol

Ready to serve right out of the can........with cream cheese or whatever..........or even plain, its still very good.

Very moist with the raisins in it. Has calcium and iron.......
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.